Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Got one for Christmas on the back of recommendations here and absolutely love it. The Garmin forerunner 35 is one I've got and is great.
  • Options
    Got one for Christmas on the back of recommendations here and absolutely love it. The Garmin forerunner 35 is one I've got and is great.
    Yeah, that's the sort of thing. Not sure if I'd wear it day to day, but then again I don't normally wear a watch! For £110 that's a steal
  • Options
    I use an Apple Watch series 4 with Strava on the watch, so syncs instantly through the app, really like it, but depends if you have an iPhone or not
  • Options
    Got an android. Seems though you can link the Garmin app to Strava
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone have a Garmin type watch? I will shortly be in possession of some birthday money (never grow out of the bank of mum and dad, despite me turning 39) and am old enough to pretty much have everything I want (which these days is pretty much nothing).

However... I have just used Strava, and used to use runkeeper. Whilst I don't normally bother for parkrun, I like tracking my longer runs and seeing my splits. I'd also rather not take a phone with me which I'm currently having to do.

So, what I'm after is something with GPS, and can sync with Strava. Hopefully also works well as an everyday watch and doesn't need charging all the time. Any suggestions?
    I have the Garmin fenix 5X - lovely watch & works with Strava well - the battery lasts ages, certainly a big upgrade in that respect over previous Garmin's i have had. Nice looking watch as well & the watch face is totally customizable, with loads of different designs to download & install.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Got an android. Seems though you can link the Garmin app to Strava
    my garmin syncs to my android as I walk in the front door and instantly uploads it to strava, no need to do anything other than be within bluetooth range
  • Options
    Well done @Dazzler21
  • Options
    Cheers AFKA
  • Options
    Well done mate. Epic achievement 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Loved my run this morning too, gorgeous day and eked a bit more off the Pb...if only they weren’t so early....
  • Options
    Glorious on the coast this morning. A squeak over 22 mins today - happy with that as I’m only running parkruns at the mo due to sore Achilles I can’t seem to shake off.
  • Options
    Wish I'd run, but my wife is away for a few days, so I've got the kids 

Also, I've hurt my foot. Mainly on the top, between the toes and leg in line with the little and second to little toe. Been like it a week, though getting better, and came after a long run. No bruising or swelling. Obviously a doctor and X ray would be better than asking here, but does it sound familiar? I'm sure if it was a stress fracture of a metatarsal I couldn't walk.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Struggled a bit on the park run today. Was overtaken near the end by a young girl who was crying as we went past her mother, who just told her to stop crying and get on with it! Tough parenting. Running in the mild heat made me appreciate how tough it must have been for the players yesterday. 

• Options
    So, anyone out in the wind this morning? A plodding 35:48 at Hilly Fields this morning, but I'm just glad to have made it round. (Did 33:33 at Catford the week before, in the sunshine, much more like it.)
  • Options
    Nah, slept through 😞
  • Options
    Gillingham parkrun this morning with my daughters! Charlton shirts on 👍
  • Options
    a little jog round parkrun this morning to loosen up the legs for tomorrows big run round London. if that wind hasn't gone away by the morning I may well cry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Despite the drizzle and wind, I posted a pb of 26.12. Pretty chuffed though to be fair I just wanted to finish the thing and have a shower! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The plan was to stick to the 3:30 runners then kick on at 20. Instead I raced off at the start and got a quad strain at 20 which led to a very, very long 6 mile Trek between jogging and walking.

Finished in 4:08 losing over 40 minutes off my projected finishing time of 3:25.

Two weeks RICE and stretching to be ready for London.

Total distance was nearly 27 miles at 26.78!
    Well done with a respectable time, a real shame you had problems as I'm sure you'd have achieved your aim.
    How are you now, are you able to do London tomorrow?
  • Options
    What a difference a week makes! Wet, cold and windy. Did ok though with 40:46.
     Good luck to all doing the Big One tomorrow. 
  • Options
    The wind was brutal! 

Only the the second time I’ve ever stopped mid run and frustratingly it was with just a couple of hundred yards to go. I was running up a slope into a headwind for the third time and my lungs were gone. Walked for about 20 seconds. Frustrating as I finished within 30 secs of my PB so I would have gone close had I kept going :-(

now to undo all the good work in rochester 
  • Options
    Well done everyone who ran today and are running tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will not be as hot as last year. Picked up a virus so wasn’t able to get out today. Lame excuse I know but I’m not even going to a game today so must be ill!
  • Options
    I'm planing to run Bexley next Saturday. Just doing some sports before going to the Valley. Good luck to all running the Marathon tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Numbers said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The plan was to stick to the 3:30 runners then kick on at 20. Instead I raced off at the start and got a quad strain at 20 which led to a very, very long 6 mile Trek between jogging and walking.

Finished in 4:08 losing over 40 minutes off my projected finishing time of 3:25.

Well done with a respectable time, a real shame you had problems as I'm sure you'd have achieved your aim.
    I will make sure I get round, but won't expect a great time as I expect the strain won't have fully recovered and could go again at any time.

It's for charity so won't miss it. I can't afford the time to train next year, so it's this year or bust. 

Under 5 I'll be happy enough, under 4 I'll be ecstatic, under 3:30 isn't going to happen but I'd be speechless and absolutely made up.

• Options
    That was tough!  28.40 mins of slog followed up with a 3.5 hour nap i have just woken from.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Numbers said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I will make sure I get round, but won't expect a great time as I expect the strain won't have fully recovered and could go again at any time.

It's for charity so won't miss it. I can't afford the time to train next year, so it's this year or bust. 

Under 5 I'll be happy enough, under 4 I'll be ecstatic, under 3:30 isn't going to happen but I'd be speechless and absolutely made up.

Good luck whatever happens, time is not important, respect for even trying 
  • Options
    Good luck Dazzler