Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Done my 7th now. Wish it wasn't so early but love it
  • So, since this thread was created, I've started doing Parkrun "properly". I'm bloody slow, but it's fun all the same. And it does me good.

I did the new one in Mountsfield Park in Catford this morning - which includes running right the way around the site of The Mount, where Charlton played for a season in the 1920s. New ones have also sprung up on Dartford Heath (started today) and at Victoria Dock, if anyone wants to ride to a Parkrun via cable car.

Thinking of taking up running, the legend that is pork pie has been giving me tips on FB
  • DA9 said:

So, since this thread was created, I've started doing Parkrun "properly". I'm bloody slow, but it's fun all the same. And it does me good.

I did the new one in Mountsfield Park in Catford this morning - which includes running right the way around the site of The Mount, where Charlton played for a season in the 1920s. New ones have also sprung up on Dartford Heath (started today) and at Victoria Dock, if anyone wants to ride to a Parkrun via cable car.

Thinking of taking up running, the legend that is pork pie has been giving me tips on FB
    The old boy from Desmond's?
  • Well done Riviera, its a real achievement. I've recently been on a diet and exercise frenzy, Tipped the scales at 20st at xmas, now weighing in at 14.5st. Graduated from couch to 5k a few weeks ago and did my first Parkrun on Saturday (Killerton house). Got too caught up in it all at the start and went off far too fast and was hanging on at the end but I managed it. Ached for the next 4 days though and my hip still hurts today. May give it another go on Saturday depending on where I need to be in the afternoon, but will pace myself better this time.

• Riviera said:

Doing my first ParkRun this Saturday at Avery Hill. Started "running" about 3 months ago with the aim to run the Eltham Park 5 mile run. Trained with a mate who is an experienced runner and we used the app Couch to 10K. It starts you off very easily, run for a minute then walk for 2 etc. I found it extremely difficult at first, I am not unfit for my age as I do regular exercise (swimming, tennis and badminton) but I am overweight. However I have lost almost 2 stone since I started. Train 3 times a week and it was simply amazing how my stamina built up and was in the end running 3 miles non stop.
    Did the EP5 on Sunday and completed it. Had a really bad start though and couldn't get into the groove or get my breathing going properly. First mile took me 20 min and I nearly gave up but battled on got my breathing right. Once I'm going smoothly I'm not out of breath at all and feel like I could go on forever. I have no pace though and do roughly 14 min miles. I was originally going to stop it all after last Sundays run but have decided to keep it going. Did 2.7m last night in 40min non-stop. Now looking forward to Saturday as I know 5k is not a problem for me. I intend to run 3 times a week now including a Saturday ParkRun.
    Anyone who is old and fat but wants to do it then I suggest you download the App and follow it, the results are amazing.

I used to do the Avery Hill one,not done this for over a year now...I can't seem to sort out my calf muscle :(
    Best time was 31mins.
  • DA9 said:

So, since this thread was created, I've started doing Parkrun "properly". I'm bloody slow, but it's fun all the same. And it does me good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iV_ooHt0bM

Will this be you at 0:10 @DA9 - making calls to the office with your digital headset communicator..
  • Sponsored links:

• i started running a couple of years ago & have really enjoyed it - I was pretty fit from cross country skiing in the winter & road/mountain biking in the summer but was struggling to fit these activities in time wise - so a quick run was the answer, I would say there are essential things for me

- good running shoes
    - a good watch
    - a strava subscription

On Sunday I am doing my second trail race, just 7km but at altitude in the mountains even that is pretty tough & next Sunday another 10km race. I don't run against others* my goal is always to go just that bit faster than last time & that's where strava is brilliant. I was in Vancouver yesterday & got up at 5:30 to do a quick run along the waterfront before work - weather & scenery was lovely - rock & roll!!

We have parkrun out here in Canada, i have run it in Calgary a few times & it's a good one - only spoilt the first time by some prat running in a Palace shirt. *I beat him.
  • Oakster said:

i started running a couple of years ago & have really enjoyed it - I was pretty fit from cross country skiing in the winter & road/mountain biking in the summer but was struggling to fit these activities in time wise - so a quick run was the answer, I would say there are essential things for me

- good running shoes
    - a good watch
    - a strava subscription

On Sunday I am doing my second trail race, just 7km but at altitude in the mountains even that is pretty tough & next Sunday another 10km race. I don't run against others* my goal is always to go just that bit faster than last time & that's where strava is brilliant. I was in Vancouver yesterday & got up at 5:30 to do a quick run along the waterfront before work - weather & scenery was lovely - rock & roll!!

We have parkrun out here in Canada, i have run it in Calgary a few times & it's a good one - only spoilt the first time by some prat running in a Palace shirt. *I beat him.

With an iron bar I hope!!!
  • I started the C25K app 3-4 weeks ago, I am a 50 year old bloke with no exercise in years, although not heavily overweight, but a fairly physical job, similar to the other apps, builds you up slowly, just started week 4 on Monday morning, however had a slip at work the other day and knee has been sore since, hobbling around, was having real issues with my knees since I started, mind & spirit willing but knees really feeling it, not sure if a support would help or not, hoping to get out again Saturday or Sunday morning, knees willing,
  • DA9 said:

I started the C25K app 3-4 weeks ago, I am a 50 year old bloke with no exercise in years, although not heavily overweight, but a fairly physical job, similar to the other apps, builds you up slowly, just started week 4 on Monday morning, however had a slip at work the other day and knee has been sore since, hobbling around, was having real issues with my knees since I started, mind & spirit willing but knees really feeling it, not sure if a support would help or not, hoping to get out again Saturday or Sunday morning, knees willing,

Had trouble with my knees until I bought two of these

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom_Elite_Jumpers_Knee_Patella_Strap/3112/39352.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvLLZBRDrARIsADU6ojBfHeFTDMbmMA5VBIBJ7b1uAHTSsa0YueE0NQfCGNEH6heW5YnE7_8aAqjwEALw_wcB

touch wood no issues since
  • My knees have been much better since I switched to minimalist Vivo Ultras.
  • Dazzler21 said:

These things.

The girls shoes or the leggings?
    At least @Imnot Athletic showed us a link, he’s proper mod material that one....
  • If running is supposed to be good for your health and fun how comes every ‘runner’ I ever see either looks like they are just about to have a heart attack or fucking embarrassed ?

Most people have a body that is either not built for running or they don’t know how to run and they have ‘technique’ that looks like it is just storing up muscular trouble down the line

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Good for you @Riviera thats both impressive and inspiring. Don’t give a jot to the time, it’s about consistency and that will soon start inching lower over time. Sadly you’re not 21 but any form of regular activity will do you good.

A Parkrun was on my New Year resolutions. I managed to do a 5k run for the first time in 9 years a fortnight ago so I’m hoping to do one next Saturday.

Let us know how you found it today
  • Doing the city 5k on 17 July. Looking forward to it, and been doing a bit of training. Hoping to beat last year's 27 mins. It took me ages before I could get to 5k, but once you are there, the ability seems to stay (the speed doesn't!).

One thing to consider, and I definitely recommend, is having your running gait analysed at a sport shop. I had that done, and they said I over-pronate. I was getting knee and back pain, and basically it's because my legs collapse inwards when I run! I was able to rectify this with running shoes that have stiffer soles to support by legs.
  • Fumbluff said:

Dazzler21 said:

These things.

The girls shoes or the leggings?
    At least @Imnot Athletic showed us a link, he’s proper mod material that one....
    https://vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/exercise/stealth-ii-otillo-mens?colour=Black%2fOrange
  • If running is supposed to be good for your health and fun how comes every ‘runner’ I ever see either looks like they are just about to have a heart attack or fucking embarrassed ?

Most people have a body that is either not built for running or they don’t know how to run and they have ‘technique’ that looks like it is just storing up muscular trouble down the line

Not sure if this is a joke or not?

Most people were born to run. It's through years of wearing dodgy footwear, lack of exercise and overeating that make people 'not built to run' as you put it.

• Started to run a loop in Bostall Woods, a few months back, with the dog. First "run" over 30 mins, takes 38 mins to walk. Got it down to sub 20 mins over 2 -3 months, then my bad ankle starts playing up. Haven't run since, need to start again, even if it's only a couple of times a week, as I was doing it almost everyday and I think this was was the problem as my ankle never recovered, the problem is I'm a all or nothing person and find it hard to moderate things.
  • Just completed my 42nd ParkRun at Chelmsford today. Times have gone to bits since picking up an achilles injury in February a week after my PB. Bit of perseverance and I'll be back there.

Chelmsford is hugely popular. About 800 runners have been going recently. Thats about 0.5% of the city getting down there on a Saturday morning to run together which is really quite impressive.

For any of you guys down the Kent border way I'd recommend Shorne Woods nr. Gravesend. In my opinion easily the nicest location in that area.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Just completed my 42nd ParkRun at Chelmsford today. Times have gone to bits since picking up an achilles injury in February a week after my PB. Bit of perseverance and I'll be back there.

Chelmsford is hugely popular. About 800 runners have been going recently. Thats about 0.5% of the city getting down there on a Saturday morning to run together which is really quite impressive.

For any of you guys down the Kent border way I'd recommend Shorne Woods nr. Gravesend. In my opinion easily the nicest location in that area.

I'll need to do that, only at the end of my road
  • edited June 2018
    Did my 35th one today in Basingstoke, spotted a Redbus CAFC shirt at the start, had a quick chat and took pity on the guy in a West Ham shirt just in front of us.
    Happy with 29.09 in this heat, PB is 27.54 which I got on my 15th run and haven't been within 25 seconds since!!
  • Riviera said:

Found it tough today, I did it though but had too many walks for my liking. Having run non-stop on Wednesday for 40min today was disappointing. As ever it got easier though as I went on and I finished stronger than I started. It's a lovely course at Avery Hill but does have a rather brutal uphill section. 3 laps sounded daunting at first but less so as I went on. I'll do so much better next week.

43:54 which is a PB, for now....

Well done mate. The first one is always the hardest. Keep at it regularly and you'll be hooked and fitness will improve vastly.

You'll look back in a year and marvel at your progress.