Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gills vs Charlton Sept '17 | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Gillinghams an interesting place for a day out.
  • Options
    we've been found out v early on.

the smoke bomb/flare doesnt really bother me, someone could of been hurt but wasnt.

don't agree with fighting with police like some were at gillingham station, don't know what happened at chatham but heard a national rail worker got hit with a bottle.

the gillingham fans showed themselves for what they are spitting and throwing coins.
  • Options

we've been found out v early on.

the smoke bomb/flare doesnt really bother me, someone could of been hurt but wasnt.

don't agree with fighting with police like some were at gillingham station, don't know what happened at chatham but heard a national rail worker got hit with a bottle.

the gillingham fans showed themselves for what they are spitting and throwing coins.

It would have been the 'Ob's fault PH; more than likely the Met!

Nothing to do with those who were walking along the street, tanked up on their girlie fruit flavoured designer cider that they were swigging as they staggered.
  • Options
    Anyone know what happened at Chatham station? Apparebtly a Gills fan ended up with broken ribs?

My Gills mate has told me 'it's all over the Gills forum'.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Midfield looked very flat. Reeves and Marshall need to add life into this team ASAP

Marshall could be out for a few more months - don't think we'll see much before xmas. Reeves is a different matter. He must play on Saturday v Bury - we will be missing Holmes & he needs to step up to the plate. If he ain't fit by in 5 days time then its time to fine him or not to pay him. Guys a twonk & a waste of space. We forgoe another player to get him & he's taking up room and wages.
    End of October so not quite Christmas but probably another good SIX weeks though.
  • Options
    We're not very good and I don't understand why people were so optimistic. We had a relatively easy set of fixtures at the start of the season and some of our victories were less than convincing.

I don't rate KR and looking at our squad it's nothing special however it's sold to us. Hard to see anything other than another disappointing season.

I desperately want to be proved wrong but the last two games have extinguished my hope.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Problem is if we concede first it's unlikely that we are going to get a result from the game under Robinson. The last time it happened was the excellent 2-1 win at Bolton last January, when he HAD to change it after Page was sent off in the first 10 minutes.

The last 10 league games when we have conceded first (all under Robinson) we have picked just 2 points. When you are behind late on, go 4-4-2, chuck Bauer up top, anything instead of sticking with the same formation and then hope we can get something out of the game.

His lack of a Plan B is concerning, especially we if we can't beat the garbage from Saturday.
  • Options
    I rate KR I really do but he needs to find new ways to motivate players. If we have these young players then give them a go and show the current starters that there place isn't safe!

Personally I would be more inclined to try 442, Big Mag knocking/flicking the balls for oncoming strikers and generally just running his socks off like he usually does and hounding players for the loose balls. I know im going to get the ''who else have we got'' statement but we need to tweak things so even though he hasn't started well by accounts, why not start Dodoo with Big Mag or KAG or even Clarke. playing off the last man with Mag doing the running could work out with a bit of pace with KAG and Dodoo have.

In this 442 I would have Kashi sitting and would encourage JFC to push on and start trying to pick some passes for wingers/strikers. If JFC isn't up to snuff then I think Clarke could do that role and obviously Reeves could. The important thing is too keep shape when not in possession and not get caught out with players not dropping for these ridiculous taps in we seem to keep conceding, with Kashi sitting it could mean he should be picking up the players who drop for the cutbacks!

Either way I think when Marshalls fully fit, Fosu will take a back seat.

Aribo, DJiksteel & co should be given a chance.

That's my 2 cents on the issue and am expecting ridicule haha!
  • Options
    Shocking on Saturday.

Looked clueless throughout. We definitely need to freshen things up with definitely Konsa and possibly Aribo.

I couldn't believe we didn't make any changes until right at the end. I thought Bauer had more attacking threat than Magennis.

People go on about our good start but we've only played 2 teams in the top 14. I worry when we play the better teams because Gillingham are awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would like to see Konsa @ RB
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

stonemuse said:
    Guess that's what happens when you don't make signing a goalscoring striker an absolute priority. Maginnis is a good player, the nearest we've got to Kermorgant bit where's our equivalent of BWP?

That's what you get when you spend the summer making excuses for your boss' lack of investment rather than sticking up for yourself.
    Coming in January, no doubt to score us the goals to keep us safe #rolandout

This is just so predictably boring now. Please sell now Roland, have a heart !
  • Options
    according to 'The Sun', Nolberto Solano is taking over as Gills manager .. perhaps the players were 'doing it' for their current boss who's in danger of walking the plank
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

Shocking on Saturday.

Looked clueless throughout. We definitely need to freshen things up with definitely Konsa and possibly Aribo.

I couldn't believe we didn't make any changes until right at the end. I thought Bauer had more attacking threat than Magennis.

People go on about our good start but we've only played 2 teams in the top 14. I worry when we play the better teams because Gillingham are awful.

Worth remembering that when we played those teams we didn't know they'd all be in the lower half at this stage of the season.

It's also worth remembering that had we beaten Gillingham, which but for some blocks and some average finishing we might well have done, we'd have been sitting in second place.

That's not to say everything in the garden is rosy, it isn't. Clearly RD is watching to see how we do as he increasingly tightens the purse strings. No money for a second striker, no money for a new keeper etc etc.

And yes, we do need to mix up the formation a bit.
    It might be worth playing an extra, beefy, centre back when up against a physical side playing two up front, ready for the aerial bombardment. Sarr maybe?

And yes, 442 might be worth trying if we go a goal down. But also worth remembering that many of us were pleased that our football has been far more fluent this season, so we don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
  • Options

We're not very good and I don't understand why people were so optimistic. We had a relatively easy set of fixtures at the start of the season and some of our victories were less than convincing.

I don't rate KR and looking at our squad it's nothing special however it's sold to us. Hard to see anything other than another disappointing season.

I desperately want to be proved wrong but the last two games have extinguished my hope.

I still think we have a better squad than last season. I still we will finish higher. But I still feel there are stronger sides.
  • Options
    I hope they make Holmes practise his crossing and passing during hiss week off. Other teams have now worked out that if they isolate Holmes and Magennis then we are toothless.
  • Options
    Gillingham's goalkeeper has been put in the EFL team of the week.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if we looked so good at the start because we were fitter than everyone and Robbo got the fitness results from those back2back Ireland games.

Every other club is bound to catch up in terms of that fitness though and reckon that has simply happened... We dont look tired in matches its maybe just the other clubs are now at the same level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We need stablity and continueity though after all the chopping and changing.
  • Options

I'm beginning to wonder if we looked so good at the start because we were fitter than everyone and Robbo got the fitness results from those back2back Ireland games.

Every other club is bound to catch up in terms of that fitness though and reckon that has simply happened... We dont look tired in matches its maybe just the other clubs are now at the same level

agree with this .. and after a few games, the opposition analysts have sorted out how other teams play .. and have made plans to stop them/attack them/pointing out their weak and strong points etc. ..
    cliché time .. we have no plan other than A ! and are therefore quite easy to plan to play against (perhaps 'easy' is too strong a word but you get my drift)
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Gillingham's goalkeeper has been put in the EFL team of the week.

I've only seen the extended highlights but it looked like he was more a blocker than a saver.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Grumpy said:

How many Coaches do we need before someone realises that if you want to play Magennis you have to play two up front ? Sadly although Solly is still good going forward, he is a weak link at the back where too many crosses are arriving.
    I am very suspicious about the Reeves situation, I think we may have bought an invalid. All this 'not quite fit yet ' is very fishy. I think we need to revert to a proper scouting facility, I notice that Oldham seem to have recruited a striker named Davies who looks to be the partner for Magennis. We have been playing attractive but ineffective football, and this league definitely requires the odd rough diamond. We are close to a promotion side, if only Roland understood football as well as he knows how to make money !

Didn't Reeves come in on a free?

• Options

http://www.skysports.com/football/gillingham-vs-charlton/375260

The lowlights according to SSN, with us shooting straight at the keeper and spectating while they score.

...Twice in a row....
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Crazy how football can change, last Sunday I woke up contemplating how far clear we'd be from the third place team if we picked up four or six points from Wigan & Gillingham - never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd get nothing at all from those two games.

It's been said before but we have absolutely no plan b - Robinson really needs to address this because it is going to cost us promotion if we don't. The only silver lining of Holmes being out next week (which is a huge, huge blow) is that it will force us to find different ways to play which is now vital and Robinson's Charlton career will live and die based on his ability to develop an alternative.

Roly doesn't want to get promoted - it would be more expensive than staying in League One. Mid table is what he is after....
  • Options

Grumpy said:

How many Coaches do we need before someone realises that if you want to play Magennis you have to play two up front ? Sadly although Solly is still good going forward, he is a weak link at the back where too many crosses are arriving.
    I am very suspicious about the Reeves situation, I think we may have bought an invalid. All this 'not quite fit yet ' is very fishy. I think we need to revert to a proper scouting facility, I notice that Oldham seem to have recruited a striker named Davies who looks to be the partner for Magennis. We have been playing attractive but ineffective football, and this league definitely requires the odd rough diamond. We are close to a promotion side, if only Roland understood football as well as he knows how to make money !

I'd guess his signing on fee would be more than the fees we paid for anyone this year.
  • Options

Grumpy said:

I'd guess his signing on fee would be more than the fees we paid for anyone this year.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Gillinghams an interesting place for a day out.

I consider myself working class. I came back from Gillingham thinking I was middle class.
    F@cking no class
  • Options

se9addick said:

Crazy how football can change, last Sunday I woke up contemplating how far clear we'd be from the third place team if we picked up four or six points from Wigan & Gillingham - never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd get nothing at all from those two games.

It's been said before but we have absolutely no plan b - Robinson really needs to address this because it is going to cost us promotion if we don't. The only silver lining of Holmes being out next week (which is a huge, huge blow) is that it will force us to find different ways to play which is now vital and Robinson's Charlton career will live and die based on his ability to develop an alternative.

Roly doesn't want to get promoted - it would be more expensive than staying in League One. Mid table is what he is after....
    Not sure it's more expensive given the difference in TV money as well as increased attendances in the Championship?