Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Newcastle v Saracens.

Off to Phillie in the morning for Newcastle v Saracens. Anyone else?

Comments

• Off to Phillie in the morning for Newcastle v Saracens. Anyone else?

It's interesting how rugby is happy to do this, whereas when it was suggested that a PL football match could be played in the US, it caused a massive storm
  • Jealous. Went to the saracens game in New York last year and ended up in a bar with them all afterwards. Safe to say the Bar maids didn't know quite what had hit them!

Have a good one - should be a cracker. The teams sarries have put out is rather handy!
  • enjoy it .. unless Sarries decide to show our cousins a bit of an exhibition, they should win this by 30+ points
  • Enjoy the game, my son is jealous, bugging me to take him for weeks, yeah right! Rugby will take off in the US especially once the colleges start taking it more seriously which they are starting to.
  • Off to Phillie in the morning for Newcastle v Saracens. Anyone else?

Remember to treat yourself to a Philly cheesesteak.
  • Wow. What a weird place to play the game.it was in a place called Chester on the outskirts of Phillie and when we arrived we asked if there were any bars about from one of the locals. He just smiled and then all his friends turned up. They barely had a tooth between them and before we knew it we were rescued by a security guard, with a gun, who put us on a bus to the ground saying there is no way he would allow us to endanger ourselves around here. 11 dollars a beer in the ground too, but we weren't too fussed after what we saw on the way. Boarded up houses mainly and a few inbred locals. Bit like Gillingham I suppose. 6k crowd when I was expecting a 50k sellout, strange day, place and experience. Philidelphia is a feckin hole.
  • edited September 2017
    Chester is certainly not the nicest place, but there are plenty of great spots in Philly. While you're there, check out my favourite drinking spot, Fado on 1500 Locust Street.
  • Thanks danepak. But we stayed only as long as we had to before getting back to nyc. I know you BTW, and will follow your recommendation if I ever go back, which I doubt.
  • Wow. What a weird place to play the game.it was in a place called Chester on the outskirts of Phillie and when we arrived we asked if there were any bars about from one of the locals. He just smiled and then all his friends turned up. They barely had a tooth between them and before we knew it we were rescued by a security guard, with a gun, who put us on a bus to the ground saying there is no way he would allow us to endanger ourselves around here. 11 dollars a beer in the ground too, but we weren't too fussed after what we saw on the way. Boarded up houses mainly and a few inbred locals. Bit like Gillingham I suppose. 6k crowd when I was expecting a 50k sellout, strange day, place and experience. Philidelphia is a feckin hole.

Wow, a strange venue to hold a match showcasing rugby to the US
  • Chester, PA. crime rate is almost 400% above the U.S. average.

Funny place to showcase rugby union. The stadium looked mostly empty as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• the city of brotherly love is another post industrial, northern US city that is gradually falling down .. I suppose that it was very cheap to hire the stadium
  • Was at the Leicester - Gloucester game at the weekend... nice stadium, great fans (home and away), and lots of friendly banter (even though I had to confess I was a Quins Season ticket holder).
    Considering the thread in relation to the Gills game, I've no regrets about switching to attending rugby games. Different vibe in all the pubs, with bouncers letting people in with club shirts, people chatting, getting pissed together and generally enjoying themselves..
  • Although football and Charlton always come first in the event of a fixture clash, we also have season tickets at Quins (we live very close to the Stoop) and the atmosphere at these games is, indeed, very good. There's always a really good vibe in the local pubs (and Twickenham Brewery) and the lack of segregation and general level of friendliness between opposing supporters probably reflects how things used to be in football (non-league excepted ) until the late 60s.

Going back to the Newcastle v Saracens game, the venue and the low attendance are, as @Astoriaaddick and others have said, really surprising. I hope the cost of Newcastle season tickets reflected the fact that practically all of their supporters will only be able to see 10, as opposed to 11, Premiership home games - it's hardly the same as crossing the road from the Stoop for the Christmas game at Twickenham !