Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Sat 16 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

Holmes needs to stop with the yellow cards, but will that stop him playing as well as he does? As has been said, yellow card this week and 1 banned game, 10 yellows, 2 banned games and so on. If he gets 5 yellows in 7(?) games, how many in a season? As for the score, I am still optimistic so 0-2 to us

The one on Tuesday both completely pointless, as there was no need to make the tackle, and predictable as you knew Ricky would dive in like that. I'm sure most of the crowd were thinking "don't tackle" before he made the challenge

• Options
    "he would never ever stop talking again for the rest of his entire life."

brilliant @MrLargo
  • Options
    The mental side of a game needs to be top notch. Get that right and we win because we are the better team.
  • Options

Charlton manager Karl Robinson has revealed that Josh Magennis is one of a number of players to be nursing a minor knock after Tuesday’s 3-0 defeat to Wigan Athletic.

But the Addicks chief does not expect anybody to be missing for Saturday’s trip to Gillingham.

“We’ve got one or two knocks,” said Robinson. “We’ve got one or two bruises. Josh is one of those. We’ll see how he reacts.

“A few got little kicks and bruises but nothing that I can see affecting my decision [on team selection].”

Midfielder Ahmed Kashi, who ended 18 months out with an Achilles injury when he returned to first-team action this season, was replaced in the second half in midweek.

The Algerian international has been a fixture of the side this season.

“I took him off earlier because I knew he wouldn’t cope – the frequency of games we have at the moment it is the first time he has done that for two years,” said Robinson. “That is a long time.

“Chris Solly’s knee feels great.”

Ben Reeves is still working his way back to match fitness.

“He has been running this week,” explained Robinson. “His scan came back fine. There is no scar tissue anymore. I’m not saying he’s injured – I’m not saying he is fit.

“He has got a little tiny strain when he came back through not having a condition [missing the summer pre-season fitness schedule as he signed just before the League One campaign started].”

Karl mate, what the hell are you saying then?
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Charlton manager Karl Robinson has revealed that Josh Magennis is one of a number of players to be nursing a minor knock after Tuesday’s 3-0 defeat to Wigan Athletic.

But the Addicks chief does not expect anybody to be missing for Saturday’s trip to Gillingham.

“We’ve got one or two knocks,” said Robinson. “We’ve got one or two bruises. Josh is one of those. We’ll see how he reacts.

“A few got little kicks and bruises but nothing that I can see affecting my decision [on team selection].”

Midfielder Ahmed Kashi, who ended 18 months out with an Achilles injury when he returned to first-team action this season, was replaced in the second half in midweek.

The Algerian international has been a fixture of the side this season.

“I took him off earlier because I knew he wouldn’t cope – the frequency of games we have at the moment it is the first time he has done that for two years,” said Robinson. “That is a long time.

“Chris Solly’s knee feels great.”

Ben Reeves is still working his way back to match fitness.

“He has been running this week,” explained Robinson. “His scan came back fine. There is no scar tissue anymore. I’m not saying he’s injured – I’m not saying he is fit.

“He has got a little tiny strain when he came back through not having a condition [missing the summer pre-season fitness schedule as he signed just before the League One campaign started].”

Karl mate, what the hell are you saying then?
    "He was so unfit when we signed him after a summer of inactivity that his body has gone to seed"
  • Options
    "... I’m not saying he’s injured – I’m not saying he is fit..."

Is that the cue for a Music Hall number Karlo?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Karl Robinson will resist making changes to his Charlton Athletic side as they take on Gillingham on Saturday (September 16).

Asked whether he was contemplating altering the team which lost 3-0 to Wigan Athletic he said: "I think the players who played deserve an opportunity to go back into the game and be on the front foot and be aggressive in what we are trying to do.

"Hopefully we can achieve the results that the fans deserve. We've sold our tickets and it's not like it's a small aspect of it, it's a big area behind that goal and we are looking forward to seeing our supporters and kicking into their end.
  • Options
    I have a bad feeling about this one. 1_0 to the Gills.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back to scoring ways with 3 but also still shipping a couple at the other end.
  • Options
    I don't just want a win, I want to crush them.
  • Options

Ben Reeves is continuing to pay the price for a lack of pre season - but things are looking up.

The ex MK Dons midfielder is running again, according to boss Karl Robinson - even though he is not in contention for a place in the squad at Gillingham following a calf strain.

Robinson said: "The physios are saying he has got to run before he is in contention.

"The bigger picture is he is going to be fit for the remaining 30 games of the season, not to get him fit for one or two, it's for another five or six."

Marshy [Mark Marshall] has started running too and he's a big player for us so hopefully he will be back with us very shortly."
  • Options
    2-0 to the Addicks!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

"The bigger picture is he is going to be fit for the remaining 30 games of the season, not to get him fit for one or two, it's for another five or six."

What does that last bit mean, does he mean that Reeves won't be available for another 5 or 6 matches?

• Options
    edited September 2017

ross1 said:

What does that last bit mean, does he mean that Reeves won't be available for another 5 or 6 matches?

No, it means when he is fit he will be available for 5 or 6 games before he is injured :wink:

What he meant was that he does not want him to play before he is ready and then be out for another 5 or 6 games because of injury.

“Ben Reeves has started running,” he revealed.

“He had a scan yesterday and he’s been given the all clear, but he won’t be in contention yet for Saturday. It’s about the bigger picture. He has to be fit for the remaining games of the season, not to get him fit for one or two and then miss the next six.”

“Mark Marshall has been running outside today which is a tremendous step in the right direction,” Robinson continued.

“Hopefully he’ll be back ready and raring to go shortly. Lewis Page and Harry Lennon have also both started running outside, so the four players who weren’t fit and not in contention at all are starting to get fit and get near their levels.”
  • Options
    Expecting a big reaction from the boys after the unmitigated humiliation suffered at the hands of mighty Wigan Athletic.

Worried we are too lightweight, fiddly and weak in central midfield and just in front of the defence, in particular.

I would advise Gillingham to pray for rain and get nasty because I fear we can't handle it.

0.2 if its a nice sunny day and the Gills are good sports
    1.1 if it gets chilly or wet and the Gills go for the jugular.
    2.1 if Holmes gets sent off or injured.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

No, it means when he is fit he will be available for 5 or 6 games before he is injured :wink:

What he meant was that he does not want him to play before he is ready and then be out for another 5 or 6 games because of injury.

“He had a scan yesterday and he’s been given the all clear, but he won’t be in contention yet for Saturday. It’s about the bigger picture. He has to be fit for the remaining games of the season, not to get him fit for one or two and then miss the next six.”

“Mark Marshall has been running outside today which is a tremendous step in the right direction,” Robinson continued.

“Hopefully he’ll be back ready and raring to go shortly. Lewis Page and Harry Lennon have also both started running outside, so the four players who weren’t fit and not in contention at all are starting to get fit and get near their levels.”
    Thanks. Good that our four injured players are on the road to recovery (ish)
  • Options
    Gillingham 0-3 Charlton

I wasn't at the game at Wigan due to a work commitment, but understand we were second best.

The players deserve a very positive welcome on Saturday. They've been excellent so far this season and we've dominated teams, other than Wigan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

And that is the right approach as well. How many times in the past few years have we rushed players back, only for them to break down? Kashi, Diarra two seasons ago, Bauer two seasons ago, possibly Lennon last year (not sure if that was a recurrence or new injury), Igor, Josh last year.

The title will not be won or lost on Saturday. We have 38 games to go after that, and we will need Reeves fit for as many of those as possible. Hopefully that means he comes available a week Saturday for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    I think that Gillingham will try and turn the game into a bit of a scrap and we need to be ready for that. I hope we can bring our superior quality to bear and notch a third league away win on the trot. I wouldn't, however, be surprised if we got our first draw of the season.
  • Options
    Konsa should start but not sure he will
    2-1 gills
  • Options
    They'll be up for it but if we get an early goal could easily see us notching three or four thereafter. If not, and we let them into the game, a scrappy draw is more likely. Hopefully the class of Holmes, Kashi and Clarke shines through.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Ben Reeves is continuing to pay the price for a lack of pre season - but things are looking up.

The ex MK Dons midfielder is running again, according to boss Karl Robinson - even though he is not in contention for a place in the squad at Gillingham following a calf strain.

Robinson said: "The physios are saying he has got to run before he is in contention.

Marshy [Mark Marshall] has started running too and he's a big player for us so hopefully he will be back with us very shortly."

Karl Robinson should be known as The Riddler.
  • Options
    1-2 to Charlton.
  • Options

“Hopefully he’ll be back ready and raring to go shortly. Lewis Page and Harry Lennon have also both started running outside, so the four players who weren’t fit and not in contention at all are starting to get fit and get near their 2levels.”

Good news.

The 1-1 won't be.
  • Options
    How many levels are there?

They are going to be dirty, Homes needs to make sure he does not get involved and sent off.

Expect us to win by at least 2 clear goals.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!