Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Reeves (pg 11 - signed for Plymouth.)

Comments

• Options

Where is the evidence that his attitude is poor? A man at a key stage of his career may have waited to weigh up his options. He's entitled to do that.

I also think he can be excused for not leaping at the opportunity to join Uncle Roly's Circus. The last time he played against us we were awful. Truly, truly awaful. Robinson knows him better than any of us, so I think I'm willing to trust him on this one.

he obviously did not keep himself fit over the summer though and that wouldn't have been any different whoever he ended up signing for eventually. Club should have told him we'd start paying him when he could prove his fitness to play.

I don't disagree with this but we paid all the players from July until the season started to get fit so it's not unreasonable for him to be on the payroll while he gets his match fitness.

Without the benefit of knowing what his contract is and what we were offering over the summer it is difficult to know if his hanging on convinced the club to offer him more or if he just accepted less. However based on the Transfer Deadline deals it is fair to say that as time runs our more and more clubs, and players, become more inclined to agree to deals that they, clearly, weren't willing to in July.

He could have made more of an effort to be match fit but then we could have agreed to pay him what he wanted in July rather than (1) holding out until he agreed to take less or (2) agreeing to pay it in August when he didn't blink.

I'm sure that once he's fit he will be a great addition to the squad and the first eleven. We are, also, going to need to rotate more based on hoe much running these boys are doing, compared to what we've seen in the last couple of seasons.
  • Options

I'm sure I read in the summer that Reeves thought he was going to get an offer to play in the Championship;
    Bolton I believe were strongly linked.

Evidently that didn't materialise - but you can't blame the player for being ambitious in his career.
    Wouldn't most of us have done the same?

Mind you, if it had been me (haha) ..... I would have tried to get myself a head start on pre-season training somewhere while I was waiting and hoping. Or did MK Dons physically prevent him training with them?
  • Options

Where is the evidence that his attitude is poor? A man at a key stage of his career may have waited to weigh up his options. He's entitled to do that.

I also think he can be excused for not leaping at the opportunity to join Uncle Roly's Circus. The last time he played against us we were awful. Truly, truly awaful. Robinson knows him better than any of us, so I think I'm willing to trust him on this one.

he obviously did not keep himself fit over the summer though and that wouldn't have been any different whoever he ended up signing for eventually. Club should have told him we'd start paying him when he could prove his fitness to play.

Its certainly interesting that Dave Martin (another who didnt sign a new deal @ MK Dons) who was also without a club for just as long is already playing for Millwall yet has mainly been on the bench for them - I know he spent a BIT of time with Charlton yet he managed to keep himself fit over the summer so wasnt difficult for Reeves to do the same.
    Good point. Martin found himself somewhere to get a pre season. Why was that not possible for Reeves ?

Having said that Martin is after all a GK and the level and type of fitness expected of him and a midfielder would be slightly different.

• Options
    My theory is that he was carrying an injury, and did not want to undergo a medical with other clubs until he was fit enough to pass. He does not have the best of an injury record anyway.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I'm sure I read in the summer that Reeves thought he was going to get an offer to play in the Championship;

Evidently that didn't materialise - but you can't blame the player for being ambitious in his career.

Mind you, if it had been me (haha) ..... I would have tried to get myself a head start on pre-season training somewhere while I was waiting and hoping. Or did MK Dons physically prevent him training with them?

He did train with MK Dons for a few weeks in pre-season whilst a free agent but didn't go on their pre-season tour (assume they didn't want to take him as he was always going to leave them)
  • Options
    seeing as we have been odds on to sign him since January why didn't he at least train with us whilst keeping his options open, as Martin did? At least then he'd be fitter than he is now.
  • Options

Its certainly interesting that Dave Martin (another who didnt sign a new deal @ MK Dons) who was also without a club for just as long is already playing for Millwall yet has mainly been on the bench for them - I know he spent a BIT of time with Charlton yet he managed to keep himself fit over the summer so wasnt difficult for Reeves to do the same.
    We got him nice and fit for the spanners, typical...

Reeves doesn't have the best injury record, so he more than anyone would know how important it is to keep his body in the right condition, which he clearly didn't
  • Options
    no excuse for a professional footballer not keeping himself fit over the summer and at least being in some sort of 'condition' when they get a club etc
  • Options
    look down the bottom of the attached wiki file .. appearances .. over the past few years he's missed a lot of games .. through injury or non selection is not clear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Reeves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without a proper pre season players invariably struggle to catch up and go on to have a good injury free season. Add to that the unnecessary calf strain brought on by rushing him into playing and Reeves suspect injury record I somehow doubt we are going to see the real Ben Reeves for some time. Lee Novak was the same last season.

I'll stick my neck out and say we won't get 15 games out of him this term.
  • Options

look down the bottom of the attached wiki file .. appearances .. over the past few years he's missed a lot of games .. through injury or non selection is not clear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Reeves

Reading that he clearly suffers from Haynes disease.
  • Options

seeing as we have been odds on to sign him since January why didn't he at least train with us whilst keeping his options open, as Martin did? At least then he'd be fitter than he is now.

no excuse for a professional footballer not keeping himself fit over the summer and at least being in some sort of 'condition' when they get a club etc

These 2 posts sum it all up for me perfectly. I'm sure he could have trained with MK Dons or us, even if he was keeping his options open. Just not very professional doing neither......ffs, even RJ is training with us (and playing in Kent senior cup games) !!

The fact that Mark Marshall could feature before he does says it all.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Do we know he didn't keep himself fit at all? He played an hour v Exeter and nearly as much v Crawley in competitive cup games. Usually players would slowly build up their minutes in friendlies in games like Welling, those games we had in Ireland etc.

Possibly just thrown in by KR for too much too soon. KR said himself he should have listened to the medical staff. He then picked up an injury which set him back.
  • Options

I don't disagree with this but we paid all the players from July until the season started to get fit so it's not unreasonable for him to be on the payroll while he gets his match fitness.

Without the benefit of knowing what his contract is and what we were offering over the summer it is difficult to know if his hanging on convinced the club to offer him more or if he just accepted less. However based on the Transfer Deadline deals it is fair to say that as time runs our more and more clubs, and players, become more inclined to agree to deals that they, clearly, weren't willing to in July.

He could have made more of an effort to be match fit but then we could have agreed to pay him what he wanted in July rather than (1) holding out until he agreed to take less or (2) agreeing to pay it in August when he didn't blink.

I'm sure that once he's fit he will be a great addition to the squad and the first eleven. We are, also, going to need to rotate more based on hoe much running these boys are doing, compared to what we've seen in the last couple of seasons.
    Yes, but he signed on August 3rd, not August 31st. Not sure the pressure is the same on the eve of the season.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Reeves turned down Bolton.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Reeves turned down Bolton.
    They will soon be back in L1.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

should never have signed him, can't really see him becoming good shit attitude, was blatantly holding out for a better offer, and to me charlton is the holy grail, so fuck him.

You sound like you've already made up your mind based on ..... well, actually not knowing anything at all?

Despite being nailed on to sign with us he signed a few days before our 1st game of the season, since then he hasn't been fit to play, we get nothing from Robinson, we've let 3 strikers leave and are light up front to say the least, after a fantastic start we are now back to the same sort of results that made up last season as we have been found out. I don't want players signing for us as a backup option, were pretty shit ATM. But for me I still want players to want to be here after all that's all we ever hear from Karl as apparently they all want to be here and everything they do is for the fans of this great club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd love to see Marshall and Reeves play - hopefully soon.
  • Options

I'd love to see Marshall and Reeves play - hopefully soon.

Agree. Having Holmes and Marshall on either wing with Fosu on the bench to make an impact late in games will be much better.
  • Options

Watched bits of several training sessions recently, and from my vantage point, never seen Ben Reeves there, Marshall is doing lots of running though, which is a plus.

He's been abroad.
  • Options

Watched bits of several training sessions recently, and from my vantage point, never seen Ben Reeves there, Marshall is doing lots of running though, which is a plus.

He's been abroad.
    I hear dubai is nice this time of year.
  • Options

He's been abroad.
    I hear dubai is nice this time of year.
    I can confirm that is correct about Dubai because I was there last Friday.
  • Options

deja vu time (I hope not) ..

I hope the Reeves situation is not a repeat of the Gordon Bolland saga ...

a very talented player we signed during a period in the 60s when we were having some success,

I'll stop you right there.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    LoOkOuT said:

deja vu time (I hope not) ..

I hope the Reeves situation is not a repeat of the Gordon Bolland saga ...

a very talented player we signed during a period in the 60s when we were having some success,

I'll stop you right there.
    I'll rephrase ... some LIMITED success under Firmani (but again undone by Palace and Millwall)
  • Options

Don't forget Robbo says Reeves is now "having to do a pre-season".
    Perhaps it nearly killed him - and now he's taken up permanent residence in the treatment room?

• Options
    Excuse me if this has already been mentioned but we were informed on here by a MK fan that he was "very" injury prone and spent a lot of time unavailable.....so no great surprise really.
  • Options
    I think I'll wait and see how he does after he's played a few games.

Radical concept I know but you never know.