Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Reeves (pg 11 - signed for Plymouth.)

Comments

• On the face of it, it does not seem possible to have both reeves and clarke in the same side. Could one play wide? Or if and when both fit, do you give them 45 mins each, expecting that they play with a high intensity press that they couldn't sustain for a longer period?

Should Reeves manage it (and should the game go ahead) - I'd love to see Billy Clarke playing as the Striker against Peterborough with Reeves slotting into the available role thats been left... As it is I dont see Reeves being fit enough to start should it go ahead
  • It's shocking that Marshall seems to be further ahead in his recovery than Reeves
  • It's shocking that Marshall seems to be further ahead in his recovery than Reeves
    It's shocking that Karl think it's beneficial spending time with him
    Why?

Both injured but different injuries and Marshall was injured earlier so has had more time to recover.
  • edited September 2017

On the face of it, it does not seem possible to have both reeves and clarke in the same side. Could one play wide? Or if and when both fit, do you give them 45 mins each, expecting that they play with a high intensity press that they couldn't sustain for a longer period?

Should Reeves manage it (and should the game go ahead) - I'd love to see Billy Clarke playing as the Striker against Peterborough with Reeves slotting into the available role thats been left... As it is I dont see Reeves being fit enough to start should it go ahead
    God I hope not. That's just not Clarke's game.

I'd consider a 4-3-2-1

Amos
    Solly | Konsa | Bauer | DaSilva
    Fosu | JFC | Holmes
    Clarke | Reeves
    Magennis

I don't think we will see that though. We're not aggressive enough to go for that.

I think we'll see:

Amos
    Solly | Konsa | Bauer | DaSilva
    Fosu | JFC | Kashi |Holmes
    Clarke*
    Magennis

*= or Reeves
  • so reeves sounds like a player on his day is unplayable against didnt we have one of those that now spends his playing days playing for OH Leuven
  • so reeves sounds like a player on his day is unplayable against didnt we have one of those that now spends his playing days playing for OH Leuven

Difference being T.Watt had his day on the corner of the pitch then became hugely arrogant shortly after and now he's a cnut.
  • Karl Robinson says Charlton have two injury scares for the trip to Fleetwood on Saturday.

Ben Reeves and Mark Marshall are set to start on the bench, but the Addicks have other injury problems.

Robinson would not reveal who the crocked players were.

He told News Shopper: “We have two injuries already [for Saturday], I’m not going to tell you who they are now. We have Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves coming back.

“They’re not fully fit, no. They could've stayed behind. But they will both play 50 minutes against Ipswich on Tuesday night.
  • Whats the game with Ipswich on Tuesday night?
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon

Whats the game with Ipswich on Tuesday night?

darts
  • Whats the game with Ipswich on Tuesday night?

Must be a match behind closed doors as there is no U23 mention
  • Didn't he also mention a behind closed doors match tomorrow as well, which Page could play in?

With the international break, next week is certainly an obvious time to play a friendly
  • edited September 2017
    Charlton’s U23s open their Premier League Cup campaign under the lights on Friday night when they host Liverpool at The Valley (7pm).
    behind closed doors game Monday against Ipswich for Reeves and Marshall to get game time
  • ross1 said:

behind closed doors game Monday against Ipswich for Reeves and Marshall to get game time

Reeves and Marshall both get clobbered as Ipswich seek revenge for their pre-season 6-1 drubbing.

Don't worry, they'll both be back just in time for the Christmas games.

• If and when megennis is injured, we have some issues.

Wouldn't surprise me (just from commentary but not attending) if Solly has an injury that requires a rest.

Wouldn't surprise me (just from commentary but not attending) if Solly has an injury that requires a rest.

Clarke and Solly

Clarke and Solly
    Would explain Solly's poor performance. And I know Clarke came off at the weekend with back spasms.
  • edited September 2017

On the face of it, it does not seem possible to have both reeves and clarke in the same side. Could one play wide? Or if and when both fit, do you give them 45 mins each, expecting that they play with a high intensity press that they couldn't sustain for a longer period?

Reeves has played wide on the right a fair amount, yes.

I think when we play well, we have so much interchange with our front three that any of them can pretty much start anywhere across that line of three. The issue is making sure they get back to provide their fullbacks with cover. Clarke was muted on Tuesday night because of the cover he provided for Solly, though if what Henry says is true, it seems like he might have been having a problem with injury as well.

The idea of a front three of Holmes, Reeves, and Clarke is very exciting. Ditto if you throw Marshall in somewhere, as he provides a natural width that will stretch defenses and won't let them get so deep and narrow as they have against us.
  • Yes think Reeves played wide right when we played MK this season? But maybe not his most effective position.

The full back cover position has been a problem quite a bit this season - our full backs having to defend 2v1.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my opinion singing Ben Reeves has been a disaster, and Robinson has dropped a real clanger signing him.
    My personal view is that I don't think that he ever really wanted to play for Charlton.
    He spent all summer playing off one club for another, while he supposedly weighed up his options. Until a few days before the start of the season he graciously decides to sign for Charlton.

Because he f'd around all summer he hasn't done any pre-season training, now 6 weeks later in mid September he is still so unfit that he cannot even make the bench.

The wages and signing on fee that we are paying him could, and should have gone on signing a second decent striker.
    Another striker is what we need, Not a quarter fit midfielder that might get himself fit for Christmas!

On the 13 September 2017 I started this thread saying that I thought Ben Reeves had been a disaster of a signing. He was unfit and I doubted whether he would get himself fit by Christmas.
    I also stated that his wages should have gone towards paying a second striker.
    When even back in early September it was clear that we had a massive problem with our forwards.

Well now nearly 4 months later I think that I have been proven right. We are now in January and Reeves doesn’t appear any fitter than he was when we signed him. Indeed Ben Reeves has managed to complete 90 minutes on the pitch only once this season. He his always injured or carrying a knock. And the games that I have seen him play he is mediocre at best.

A truly terrible signing and a complete waste of money.
    Robinson has made some bad signings, Page and Dodoo spring to mind. But signing his old mate Reeves who is about as fit as an Old Age Pensioner is criminal!
  • From what I have seen of him he is a complete bottle job, wouldn't want him in my corner if it got tough.
  • Was really happy when we signed him, however what a load of crock he has turned out to be.
  • Reeves will come good - just not with us.
  • From what I have seen from Reeves I have not really been impressed - however I am not sure if that is down to lack of ability, lack of desire or the formation and tactics that Karl plays.

With the ball we basically seem to play a 2-4-4 with the full backs pushing up in line with the two deep lying midfielders, and the wingers and the 'number 10' pushing up in a line with the striker. We are then so rigid - which is why we always see the passage of play of the ball being passed around the back 6 players and then to one of the wingers (mostly Holmes) and then a cross going into the box. It has become so predictable and easy to defend against so it is no wonder we are not scoring any goals.

Although we are not sure if this is tactical or lack of confidence/ability, I don't think we have seen the best of what Reeves has to offer because we rarely see him dropping back into the big space that is in the middle of the park and then dictating play. This is why I actually like seeing Karlan when he comes on, as though he may not have the passing ability - he does at least show for the ball and give us a different option when attacking.
  • He's this years Novak - taken forever to get fit and not done a lot when he did.
  • Players that don’t get or get a disrupted pre season rarely have a good time of it in my experience.

In Reeves case it would seem that his inability to get up to speed can be laid firmly at his door. His attitude before we signed him stank to high heaven.

I’m convinced he will be a decent signing over his contract. He’s obviously got something about him. Certainly a good league one player if he’s fully fit and committed.