Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Reeves (pg 11 - signed for Plymouth.)

Comments

• Excuse me if this has already been mentioned but we were informed on here by a MK fan that he was "very" injury prone and spent a lot of time unavailable.....so no great surprise really.

Very true Sound. We must of been pretty desperate to sign him but from what the MKD's say (with a pinch of salt of course...) he is doing "exactly what it says on the tin". If we were too stupid to read the label then that is a another fail.

Anyway I hope he rams my comments down my throat.
  • I think I'll wait and see how he does after he's played a few games.

Radical concept I know but you never know.

Already more appearances than Cory Gibbs.

Perhaps the museum would like one of Reeves' 2 Charlton shirts?
    No doubt he'd want to keep the other one for himself.

• I think I'll wait and see how he does after he's played a few games.

Stop talking sense Henry, otherwise how can we argue :wink:
  • ross1 said:

I think I'll wait and see how he does after he's played a few games.

I always talk sense, it's the rest of you who talk rubbish : - )
  • Is he 'actually' going to play for us this season?
  • DiscoCAFC said:

Is he 'actually' going to play for us this season?

He has already.

• ross1 said:

I think I'll wait and see how he does after he's played a few games.

I always talk sense, it's the rest of you who talk rubbish : - )
    Nobody "liked". And nobody "lol"-ed.

It's a slippery slope, Henry.
  • DiscoCAFC said:

Is he 'actually' going to play for us this season?

I doubt it very much.
    I don’t reckon he will play before Christmas. We could have signed him in the January transfer window and saved the club 5 months wages!
  • Joe Ledley who signed for Derby as a free agent 9 days ago played and has scored for Derby tonight .What a difference
  • Sponsored links:

• This bloke better be good
  • There better be four of him we need players bad

I've heard he's Ricky Holmes on steroids, don't shoot the messenger.
  • The guy from MK also told us that he's mustard when fit......runs the show box to box evidently, along with bundles of non stop energy.
  • I can't wait to see him either,(does he exist),unfortunately won't be down at the Valley...but u just know,he will be targeted from the off...might see him against Welling in pre season next term...oh wonderful joy...!!
  • I can't wait to see him either,(does he exist),unfortunately won't be down at the Valley...but u just know,he will be targeted from the off...might see him against Welling in pre season next term...oh wonderful joy...!!

Lets hope he is. They cant double up on him and Holmes at the same time, will free up other players!
  • Let us hope he stays fit until January, when we can bring in another player to cover for his new injury :smiley:
  • Let's hope Reeves and Marshall can come in and make the difference.
  • Let's hope Reeves and Marshall can come in and make the difference.

I hope so too but both have been injured and the pressure and expectation on them to have an impact is growing.

How match fit can either be not having played a U23 game even? Hopefully they are on the bench and can come on when we are winning to see the game out but a lot of fans, and one manager, seem to be be putting a lot on their shoulders before they have even played a league games.

And while they should both be able to impact on the attacking side and both know this division neither is likely to improve our defensive record on their own.

I also hope that Clarke isn't moved out of position to accomadate Reeves as he was last night for Holmes.

• Agree with Henry.

Doesn't matter how needy we are to have Reeves and Marshall back, in IMO it would be unwise to involve them in a Matchday 18 until they've had a run out for the U-23s and proved fitness.

Otherwise it's just asking for trouble.

• Sponsored links:

• I reckon that unless he comes in and makes an immediate improvement in the teams performance, he's gonna get some real pelters from the crowd.
  • Dickie you have about got it right, but I note that Reeves and Marshall will allegedly be on the bench Saturday. Some of these buggers should be up in front of the Bench methinks !
  • Absolutely agree players should never be rushed back, I just fear another season passing by unless fortunes can somehow improve, personally I'm starting to think it's going to have to be in incredible second half to the season, but I wouldn't put much money on it, sadly.

I was thinking the same. One things for sure, if Reeves and Marshall do not provide the promised transformation, then KR has quite a problem.
  • stonemuse said:

This bloke better be good

I was thinking the same. One things for sure, if Reeves and Marshall do not provide the promised transformation, then KR has quite a problem.
    As I said, the expectations being loaded on to Reeves and Marshall by fans and Robinson are becoming huge, almost setting them up to fail.

Give them some time and don't expect them to win games on their own.
  • edited September 2017

This bloke better be good

I've heard he's Ricky Holmes on steroids, don't shoot the messenger.
    I know this is meant as tongue-in-cheek, but very different types of players. Reeves is more technical, better range of passing, doesn't run at players as much.

I know they've been built up a lot, but Reeves and Marshall have both shown themselves to be very good at this level. Reeves is definitely injury-prone, but both provide something we don't currently have. Marshall is an out and out winger but one who is very two-footed and can get to the touchline and cross or cut in and shoot. He will stretch defenses and give us some natural width, freeing up more space in the middle for the likes of Clarke, Holmes, Reeves, Fosu, Mag, etc. If there is a downside to him it's that his delivery can be a bit erratic, and in pre-season sometimes when the ball would get wide to him he'd step on it and try and square up and take on a defender--which is obviously a good skill but can slow play down sometimes. And Reeves is more of the classic 10, a real playmaker who always looks like he has more time on the ball.

Also, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves in talking about who will be dropped. Reeves didn't have a pre-season and Marshall has been our for maybe two months now. Both are probably a ways off being able to play 60 minutes. And as things stand, I think both Clarke and Fosu could do with a rest, and expect it will only be compounded over the coming weeks.
  • Do we actually play recovering players in the U23s these days? Cardiff had Pilkington in their U23 team on Monday, a match where surely Reeves or Marshall could have appeared in if they are near being ready for the 1st team?
  • I checked out Reeves' appearance record at Milton Keynes on Wiki yesterday. In the past four seasons he's averaged something like 60% of games over a season.

Wtf we bought someone with this record is beyond me.

I don't know if Wiki includes subs appearances.
  • He played 42 times for them last season, starting in 31 of them. He didn't play for 7 weeks between the beginning of January and the end of February.

The bolded paragraph from this article about him and his time at MK probably sums him up in a nutshell:

Offered a bumper deal earlier this year in a bid to keep him from the clutches of others sniffing around him - namely former boss Karl Robinson, now at Charlton Athletic - Reeves rebuffed the contract. At the time, he cited a desire to play at a higher level, but by the time the first pre-season game rolled around, he was a free agent.

Until the Aylesbury FC game on Saturday, Dons boss Robbie Neilson was unaware of Reeves’ whereabouts, and hadn’t spoken to him since his final pitch to the midfielder.

His appearance has split opinion among Dons fans. Having played just 62 per cent of Dons' games in the last three seasons - restricted by various and numerous injuries - some believe Dons are better spending money elsewhere, while others fondly remember Reeves' ability to score from anywhere, and on his day, being unplayable.

But given Reeves is out of contract and seemingly out of luck, the question begs: just what was he doing there?

If it was a farewell, it was a bizarre place and indeed time to do it, giving fans optimism with his ‘wait and see’ comments to them. More likely, though, it was a cap-in-hand return to his former club; a last-ditch effort to rekindle a deal which Neilson himself felt was no longer on the table. Irrespective of the motive, Reeves was not part of the party destined for Dons’ Hungarian training camp on Sunday. But if he is to be a Dons player next season, it will have to be with a healthy slice of humble pie.

• On the face of it, it does not seem possible to have both reeves and clarke in the same side. Could one play wide? Or if and when both fit, do you give them 45 mins each, expecting that they play with a high intensity press that they couldn't sustain for a longer period?