Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Disappointing to wake up and see we have been heavily beaten. Hearing from family who went and on here sounds like we were purely outclassed.

I think the reaction on here is worry that this is the start of what has happened every season under RD with a paper-thin squad.

Never good to get beaten by a team who you are hoping to be competing with at the top of the table, especially when they spank you at home.

• Defeats to Plymouth and Wigan. From the comments in both defeats those teams were big and physical.
  • Probably obvious, but our back 4 (even 6 with Kashi and Kasky) are sitting too deep, leaving a huge gap to be covered by our 3 midfielders, as a result handing the opposition free time on the ball in the middle of the park. If we're unwilling to hold a higher line, lets be honest and park everyone back.
    We are better than that...
  • That has brought us back down to earth. Outclassed, outplayed and out fought. Robinson not having a plan B is the biggest worry as teams will soon suss out what works for us and counter it. When that happens as it did last night, we or rather he, has no idea how to turn things around. The youngsters he put on are not likely to do much, and shows how weak our squad is. I know some say so are most teams squads but our owner can afford to put that right but wont do so. If Robinson is really happy with how RD treats him, then he is as much a part of the problem as RD. Feel so sorry for our German Addicks who made the extra trip to catch our wonderful start, only to see a performance far worse than most last season.
  • I try to rationalise over these things.

Started the season hoping for the playoffs, but reassessed to automatic promotion after 6 games. Following the 7th game I’m back to the playoff target. However, I know the Gillingham game will either endorse that view … or break me as a human being.
  • Kashi getting some pelters on the player marks thread, he is one that I think has a right to be knackered. A rest for him Saturday would be my choice but who comes in at CM?
  • Big realitt check there. I've been less and less carried away with the optimism of recent weeks. The defence has been leaking goals, and the opposition has generally been lower half of the league. But in the end it was a loss against a good team. The reaction of KR will be a big factor now. The truth is the bench didn't offer a great deal and that was a worry when Doodo arrivef and pulled the transfer window closed behind him. So today the team need to regroup and Robinson needs to prepare some different options. This may just be tired legs. It happens. But I would feel less worried if the bench options were better.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Kashi getting some pelters on the player marks thread, he is one that I think has a right to be knackered. A rest for him Saturday would be my choice but who comes in at CM?

Konsa I think mate

• Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Kashi getting some pelters on the player marks thread, he is one that I think has a right to be knackered. A rest for him Saturday would be my choice but who comes in at CM?

Obvious replacement would be Konsa

Id be surprised to see him rested, they've all got three days now before their next game so plenty of time to recover
  • Dazzler21 said:

Obvious replacement would be Konsa

Id be surprised to see him rested, they've all got three days now before their next game so plenty of time to recover
    We are talking about a player that hasn't played consecutive games in 2 years.

He started the season our best player. There will be a reason he's taken a sudden dip in form.
  • edited September 2017
    46 games in a season, even the team that runs away with the league isn't going to win all of them. Losing to a better side on the night and where you can see what made the difference doesn't hurt as much as wasting 3 points to a team you should have beaten easily. What was the difference ? They coped with the conditions better and we encouraged them to go for it with our wayward passing. Maybe it was the weather, sitting in the covered end under a leaking roof dripping on the heads of fans and horizontal rain hitting us in the face it may just been a tad worse out in the pitch and the first bit of bad weather came as more of a shock to the team from the south than it did to the one from a place where the sun don't shine. Did we suddenly turn into a bad team ? No, but we allowed Wigan to push us back and not play the attacking game that's been our trademark so far this season and we all know that if you let the other team constantly attack you the law of averages means they will score more than you.
  • think I heard this morning that Gillingham are the only L1 side without a win so far........cue Saturday
  • masicat said:

Whingers back posting. End of the world is nigh bla bla bla. We were outclassed by a much better team. Conceding 3 goals at Oldham was the alarm bell. Team has to be a work in progress. We were beaten by the champions tonight.

Strange comments masicat......don't see too many whingers as you put it, more disappointers I'd say.
    I don't think many of us saw that coming........I know I didn't.

I think some people did see it coming. As I said, the 3 conceded at Oldham was worrying. Southend got at us last Saturday and with a bit more luck would have beaten us. I sometimes look at players marks and think people score a lot of the time depending on the result. Take Kashi for instance. I admit I haven't seen him play as often as some have. To me he looks weak and is often caught out of position. We watched him closely last night and he looks great going forward, but lost when the opposition attack. We lack power and height. We can be outmuscled and always struggle from set pieces and corners. In my opinion ( not based on one match ) we need more bite in midfield and more power in other positions. But, what do I know.
  • This site should be sponsored by Prozac.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not quite sure what was worse, the performance of the team, or the performance of the ref, who ruined the match, but we weren't good enough when the first goal in , fair play to Wigan, they bossed the game, and loooked like a team from a higher division a la Norwich at home in preseason.

Not going to single any player out as it was pretty tepid all round, players that loooked good on Saturday looked awful on Tuesday.

Not going over the top, but maybe consistent inconsistency is what we've got to get used to, shock to the system, a wake up call, whatever you want to call it, it will be interesting to see how the players and manager react to this, of course they won't be happy, but they've got to stick together and learn from this.

I thought Wigan had some big units in their team and we couldn't live with them.

Also thought the weather conditions meant this was almost like a home game for Wigan.

The fickle bus is back in the garage for an MOT , lets hope it passes!
  • I was reminded of when a big Ipswich sided bullied us in the Championship a couple of seasons ago. Credit to the Wigan manager for their tactics. They didn't press the man with the ball, but were tight on all of his passing options and were stronger physically than us. So where we normally pass through teams, the passer only had a difficult or ineffective pass on, if that worked the next pass is the same. They also made sure Holmes was tightly marked and Magennis was isolated.

The negative was that despite it being obvious, there wasn't much Robinson could do to be fair. Had we scored from our chance, they may have become less tight and it could have been different, but we didn't deserve anything from the game. We don't have the players/squad to implement a plan B. The positive is how many teams are equipped to do that to us?

No need to panic and Wigan aren't world beaters, just they were opponents that didn't suit us.
  • I am not going to panic about this one. Wigan the best team we have come up against so far and will probably be in the top 2 places. We did not look shit we looked no worse than against Southend. They were a better side more players of quality, which is what you would expect from a team expecting to bounce back into the championship in the first season after relegation. We are a mid table level 3 team and we showed it.
  • I think Robinson needs to think about how we deal with this sort of challenge - other teams will try it and even if they don't implement as well as Wigan, we have to have answers.
  • The squad is not strong enough to play 3 games a week. Simple as that. Quite niave from KR to keep same 11. What does he do Saturday now as solly & kashi probably need a rest
  • My issue is that we didn't match them for the tempo or intensity.

I can take a defeat and all credit to Wigan who were better than us, but I genuinely don't think anyone of those players can honestly say they gave 100% and that's where my agitations stem from

I would even go so far as to say that when we started rolling it out from the back and Amos was simply passing to Bauer etc in and around the edge of the area, we got our comeuppance for perhaps being a little too over confident we can play our way out from the back.

That's where my gripe lies

I know we're better than that in terms of effort
  • agim said:

The squad is not strong enough to play 3 games a week. Simple as that. Quite niave from KR to keep same 11. What does he do Saturday now as solly & kashi probably need a rest

Saturday Tuesday Saturday Tuesday.
    It's only 2 games a week not 3.
    And it's the same for all clubs