Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• Couldn't gob tonight despite having every intention. Following the match thread we could have got a point or won tonight if that crossbar hit had gone in.

It ain't the end of the world ffs but it does show we are going to be beaten sometimes. A 0-3 loss favours them a bit but they did sound stronger tonight, would be interesting to work out why.
  • Outplayed tonight

Totally agree.

The weather conditions particularly at 1 nil didn't help us . The refereeing was poor to the extent that Wigan conned and play acted ,except for when Powell took a ball in the hooter at close range from a robust but fair challenge , and the ref bought it all .The first goal looked like offside but marginal and how their no 5 wasn't sent off for cumulative indiscretions and flare ups I am not sure if I know .

But does any of this make any difference to the result ?

No , I don't think so .

We were beaten by a better team who had a great player in Massey whom we couldn't cope with .

Learn from it and Move on to the next one .
  • Oggy Red said:

Tired old team tonight.

They're just not used to having to play midweek.

????? this is their third season in League One, should be used to it by now.

Tonight was the first time this season our 1st team have had to play a mid-week match, poor lambs.

Previously the U-23 team had deputised each time in the cups while most of the 1st team players were being rested.

• Massive game now on Saturday to show which end of the table we will be contesting.
  • Was really impressed with Wigan. I'd be surprised if they've played better than that this season, after losing on Saturday and facing a "big team" they really upped their game tonight

We seemed a bit lethargic and sloppy from the first 15 seconds, and other than a good spell in the middle of the 1st half, were easily second best all night. I was slightly concerned on Saturday that we were cut open very quickly on Saturday, and against a better team, this was really exposed. Indeed my main worry about this team is that we have a lot of technical players, but perhaps lack a bit of strength, especially with Kashi perhaps struggling with the intensity of L1. Looking at what's available, maybe Sarr can do a job somewhere or even Dijksteel?
  • All been said already. A very disappointing performance and one I dont think many of us saw coming? On that showing, Wigan should win the league but they let themselves down with all the play acting and whinging to the ref. I think we are a team that needs to score the 1st goal as it seems to galvanise us and allows us to counter attack teams whose own game plan goes out the window and maybe if that shot had gone in it would've been a different game altogether,who knows. This will be a massive kick up the arse for the team and maybe will do us a favour in the long run and bring everyone down a peg or two. Get a win Saturday and we will be back on track. COYA.
  • masicat said:

Whingers back posting. End of the world is nigh bla bla bla. We were outclassed by a much better team. Conceding 3 goals at Oldham was the alarm bell. Team has to be a work in progress. We were beaten by the champions tonight.

By the way Shrewsbury are going and the result they got against WIGAN on Saturday I feel tempted to say by the runners up.
  • We were ok in the 1st half, even though Wigan were still the better team, if JFC shot had gone in things might have been different. In the 2nd half they got better and we got worse, Jacob in midfield, and their giant defender number 33 were MOM. Some of our passing wasn't crisp enough, and playing out from the back wasn't working,with their high pressing game pushing us back into playing passes to Amos time and time again.Holmes was marshalled well by their defenders, and at the moment if you stop Holmes we haven't got anyone to unlock the back line. The ref was a dunce, but aren't they all. One more thing, why we we playing long balls to Big Josh, when he was being marked by a giant, and why when we actually got a corner,did Holmes try and pick out Bauer when he was being marked by the lanky beanpole?. It's almost like we didn't do any homework on them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lots of frenetic activity and spurned chances from both sides in first half - until Wigan got a well taken goal (which they almost walked into the net unchallenged). They then had 5 x corners in a row from the restart. Game deteriorated as did the weather (blustering, driving rain) and both teams looked more like street gangs at one point. There seemed to be a lot 'going on' on the pitch that the referee didn't spot. We faded.

Had Magennis scored rather than missed when it was easier to score it might - just - have been different. But: we didn't have a second forward to play up with him. Dodoo should have started rather than come on for the final 18 minutes.

Play-Offs still a runner, but not automatic promotion.
  • Oggy Red said:

Tired old team tonight.

Is that a serious comment?
    Of course not!

Footballers should be fit enough to play 2 games a week, shouldn't they?

Our 1st team had had an easy ride playing only on Saturdays so far this season - the Under23s had played all the midweek cup games.

• edited September 2017

Absolutely pathetic.

Like watching 11 blokes drowning in quick sand. Didn't string two passes together all night.

Special mentions to the especially hapless Kashi, Solly, Da Silva, Fosu....actually all of them were shit.

The folly of running such a thin squad hi-lighted. No options on the bench.

Shit from Robinson as well. No plan B and nothing done tactically to change it.

Totally and utterly played off the park for 90mins.

This all day long. Nothing else to add........apart from the fact I've seen 3 league games this season, we've lost 2 of them and not played particularly well in any of them. We may have some decent players who play tippy-tappy football but it wont get you out of League One.
  • I wasn't there and won't be there Saturday. Wake up call the result to get the players back down to earth. We go again Saturday.
  • masicat said:

Gobinson, the Fat Scouser ( there you go SDAddick) has no plan B let alone C or D. If things are not going right then you have to change it. This will be his downfall in the long run.

Proof they haven't gone away,just hiding in the shadows. They were chanting Robinsons name on Saturday, maybe you weren't there ?

Gobinson, the Fat Scouser ( there you go SDAddick) has no plan B let alone C or D. If things are not going right then you have to change it. This will be his downfall in the long run.

Steady on with the insults Large FFS.
    You're sounding like the madman from South Wales!
    SDAddick said it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned 'Gobinson' and the 'Fat Scouser' so I thought I'd get them out of the way early for him, it was tounge in cheek so maybe I should have put a smiley winky thing but hey ho. My point about no Plan B still stands though. If it's not working he needs to have the ability to change things and find a formation that does work but he doesn't seem capable of doing so.

• Total OTT comments by many posters on here. In my opinion Wigan are the best side we have played in League 1 either this round or last round. Having said that they were very nasty. We didn't react well to this and in fact their first goal came about as a lack of discipline after some nasties. The referee was dreadful.
    We have played far worse than that and won.
  • It was one of those games when you start counting the opposition players as it seems they have 3 more players than us,
  • masicat said:

Whingers back posting. End of the world is nigh bla bla bla. We were outclassed by a much better team. Conceding 3 goals at Oldham was the alarm bell. Team has to be a work in progress. We were beaten by the champions tonight.

By the way Shrewsbury are going and the result they got against WIGAN on Saturday I feel tempted to say by the runners up.
    They've had a great start to the season, but I'd be amazed if they can keep it up until May
  • Even had we been on a good day I'm not sure we would have had an easy time against Wigan - they look very very good.

Physically every single one of their players looked a class above. They would win every battle and have a lot of pace. They're definitely going to be up there at the end of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• First game and was looking forward to it after some rave reviews for the likes of Fosu and Kashi. We were awful. Couldn't pass the ball to each other and looked like they had two more players.

Don't understand how our players look knackered / uninterested after so few games of a season.

Keeper flaps and palms shots away that are easily catchable, Solly is not the player he was, Bauer is not the player many think he is, Pearce is decent, DaSilva is a kid who had a poor game like kids do

Kashi I assume is knackered because his game dived in the second half, ForsterCaskey looked an OK League One player, Holmes kept finding blind alleys and their full back popped him in his pocket, Fosu was poor save for a couple of moments, Clarke was neat but ineffectual.

Magennis is bang average and missed a header my kid would have scored.

Subs made no / negative impact, thought Dodoo was Aribo until I got home - thought he had grown!

The manager stuck ridgedly to his one system even though it was never working (we could have been 3 down in 5mins). We should have gone more direct at half time and looked to get the ball earlier forwards.

Refs now book/send players off for celebrating a 95th minute winner by taking their shirt off and for great, clean tackles because they were from behind but let players waste 15-20 minutes of a game with play acting, diving, loooong substitutions, stopping quick free kicks, kicking the ball away etc etc.

Wigan were far better, shame they felt they needed to stoop to those levels. The powers that be really need to get a grip and clamp down on diving and time wasting rather than focusing on the bits that are good about football which is a physical game, should remain so and should allow a player to challenge a keeper for a high ball.
  • masicat said:

They've had a great start to the season, but I'd be amazed if they can keep it up until May
    You are probably right. I bet their fans want the season to end now.
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Tired old team tonight.

Is that a serious comment?
    Of course not!

Footballers should be fit enough to play 2 games a week, shouldn't they?

Our 1st team had had an easy ride playing only on Saturdays so far this season - the Under23s had played all the midweek cup games.

Glad to hear it.
  • edited September 2017
    redman said:

Total OTT comments by many posters on here. In my opinion Wigan are the best side we have played in League 1 either this round or last round. Having said that they were very nasty. We didn't react well to this and in fact their first goal came about as a lack of discipline after some nasties. The referee was dreadful.
    We have played far worse than that and won.

that is not a good sign - may get away with it on a few occaisons but more often or not we'll lose.

So far this season we let a 2-0 lead slip against the (then) bottom team & only won because they went down to 10 men. We've also lost to Plymouth, who are now 2nd bottom & their only win was against us. Unless we buck up our ideas we are going to be mid-table (at best) and can see a defeat looming on Gillingham on Saturday.

We have too may fancy Dans & not enough midfield Generals. No Kinsella or Holland & certainly no Killer, Mendonca or BWP up front.
  • Thought Wigan outclassed us all night. Never in control of the game.

Lack of plan B and subs highlighted how reliant we are on key players staying fit. KR needs to learn to change it up when Magennis is isolated as he was tonight
  • I think we looked tired. Said before Southend could Solly play two games so close together and the same applies to Kashi as they have long term injuries. I would have played them both Saturday as that game gave us the best chance of 3 points.

Tonight I would have rested Solly, even after his superb performance Saturday and bought in Dyksteel for his pace and hight. I would also have played Konsa for Kashi. (Thought he played really well when he came on Saturday by the way.)

Anyway, just a bad at the office. Could not pass or control passes,

I would not be surprised if Reeves does not play a part Saturday.
  • Wigan looked a class act, that's all.

Crap drive home to Norwich; bloody wind and rain.
  • Too many of our players were out of sorts tonight, and you can't get away with that against a good Wigan side who are clearly going to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. It also appears to me that we often struggle in home midweek games with small crowds and little atmosphere, but perhaps that's just an excuse. In any case we just need to get it out of our system and hopefully get back to winning ways at Gillingham. 15pts out of the first 21 is still a very decent return, so lets hope it's just a blip.