Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I think it should be emphasised that Wigan were very good and played extremely well.

There was no lack of effort on our part but they made it impossible to play our usual game

They matched us for technical skill, had more energy and were about 8 inches taller and 2 stone heavier all over the pitch. It's an old cliche but the second half looked like men versus boys.

When we needed two high impact subs to turn things around we had Konza and Doodo and the first goal followed shortly after the substitution.

I thought Kashi was immense in the first half. Holmes never stopped trying but got frustrated , lost his head and was lucky not to be sent off. Still think Clarke is too powder puff for Tuesday nights in the rain and big Josh looked about as mobile as a container ship.

First 11 is quite good but that's it and we only have one game plan. Lost to a much better team tonight. Top 10 if we stay injury free.

• Options
    Now let's smash gillingham Saturday!!! A sell out crowd only means 1 thing
  • Options

And we always lose to bottom of the table...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    clb74 said:

F@ck me the better team won get over it

Jesus Christ, we just got stuffed at home by one of our main rivals for automatic promotion.......it's going to take a good bit of getting over wouldn't you say!
    Doesn't it bother you then?
  • Options
    Some poor individual performances from us, Kashi in particular was way below his normal standard. Thought Wigan were excellent though, physically strong, solid defensively and good going forward. They'll finish above us this season, let's hope there's not many others as good as them in what is generally a piss poor league.

Main concern for me is how many chances we give away. Our defence, on paper, is probably just about Championship standard but we could have been 2 down in the first five minutes. Recurring theme, tonight the position were good enough to punish us.
  • Options
    Honestly didn't think the refereeing was that poor. We're all fine with time-wasting against Southend on Saturday, but not today. I feel it's a larger issue that needs to be acted upon by the FA in order to more easily hand out yellows for it.
  • Options
    I think we'll Win on Saturday and have 18 from

That's top 2 form. Lots of negativity tonight and the lack of a proper striker to play 4-4-2 is frustrating but keep the faith, I think we might have played the Champions tonight
  • Options
    Wow what a disappointment after Saturday. I was looking forward to tonight's game, in fairness Wigan were far superior all over the pitch. I personally don't think any of our players had a good game, never mind let's move on to Gillingham & hope for some improvement.
  • Options

masicat said:

Whingers back posting. End of the world is nigh bla bla bla. We were outclassed by a much better team. Conceding 3 goals at Oldham was the alarm bell. Team has to be a work in progress. We were beaten by the champions tonight.

Strange comments masicat......don't see too many whingers as you put it, more disappointers I'd say.
    I don't think many of us saw that coming........I know I didn't.
    I didn't expect us to be so comprehensively outclassed in L1 - it was worrying how poor we were across the pitch. We look like a mid table league 1 side and made a lot of very basic mistakes.

Not sure how much we've improved since last season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first leauge game this season. Turned up expecting, flair, pace, skill, attacking football a team playing in cohesion with a manager who knows how to do the job. Well I got what I expected, except it was from Wigan.

Other than Holmes, I thought the rest looked as shit as the side I watched last season. I am very underwhelmed !
  • Options

clb74 said:

Jesus Christ, we just got stuffed at home by one of our main rivals for automatic promotion.......it's going to take a good bit of getting over wouldn't you say!
    Not really sound as.
    Just played one of the best teams in the league.
    I don t think we were that bad in the 1st half.
    Just checked the table still above Bradford and Wigan need to win thier game in hand to go above us.
    And the plus is we don't have to play Wigan every week.
  • Options
    Unfair mate just played a championship team
  • Options
    Win or lose have a booze, Wigan better in all areas, poor performance by us, we move on. Gillingham a game we can/should win, average 4 points per 2 games and we go up. Have to admit tactically I thought we were poor throughout and set up was crying out for an old fashioned 4-4-2, we gave them far too much width and room all 3 goals were virtual tap ins.

Wigan did look a quality Div 3 team and Shrewsbury march on.
  • Options
    One personal positive to come from tonight..... I saw two fellow charlton fans get off at Stamford Brook station. Never seen anyone get on or off there on my way to and from matches during my time here. Always nice to see a fellow addick
  • Options
    I don't know anything about Paul Cook, but he is earning his wages.
    I had a bad feeling from the first 30 seconds when they attacked with purpose and almost scored before half our lot had realised we had kicked off. They were all,over us for the first 20, and Amos showed he is a good shot stopper, one save in particular was top drawer. After a while some of the fluency I have seen on the streams came in to our play, but they knew where the danger lies, didn't give Holmes a second on the ball and started to wind up Clarke. Second half, same story at the start, they came at us from the off, covered end silenced and we were taken apart. And Will Grigg wasn't even on fire.

Oh well. I think this looks like a much better team than last year, but tonight it looked fragile, physically, and as everyone has said, there was no Plan B. And there is no credible second striker, which is just ridiculous if you want to challenge.

Stuck with 8th as my prediction in the poll. Gives me no pleasure whatsoever to say that this showing confirms my prediction.
  • Options

clb74 said:

He has to maintain his positivity at all times :)
  • Options
    clb74 said:

From the sounds of it they didn't just win but battered us and the stats appear to back that up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The failure to bring in another high quality striker has ramifications. Not only does it mean that we are over-reliant on Josh and unable to cope with his inevitable injuries and suspensions, but it doesn't allow Robinson to mix it up a bit when we need a change.

That said, the team have done really well so far this season and this is the first major disappointment (we could have won at Plymouth had we taken our chances). The test now is how we respond. A win at Gillingham and a return to form and three points against Bury will repair the damage. Its a test of character, of team spirit, of Robinson's motivation skills. I think and hope tonight was an aberration and not us finding our true level.
  • Options

I don't know anything about Paul Cook, but he is earning his wages.
    I had a bad feeling from the first 30 seconds when they attacked with purpose and almost scored before half our lot had realised we had kicked off. They were all,over us for the first 20, and Amos showed he is a good shot stopper, one save in particular was top drawer. After a while some of the fluency I have seen on the streams came in to our play, but they knew where the danger lies, didn't give Holmes a second on the ball and started to wind up Clarke. Second half, same story at the start, they came at us from the off, covered end silenced and we were taken apart. And Will Grigg wasn't even on fire.

Oh well. I think this looks like a much better team than last year, but tonight it looked fragile, physically, and as everyone has said, there was no Plan B. And there is no credible second striker, which is just ridiculous if you want to challenge.

Stuck with 8th as my prediction in the poll. Gives me no pleasure whatsoever to say that this showing confirms my prediction.

Excellent summary of tonight's game but we'll be top six at least come May

• Options
    Can't question the overall desire for a split second. But we just lacked that killer quality against a very good side.
  • Options

clb74 said:

From the sounds of it they didn't just win but battered us and the stats appear to back that up.
    They did superclive
  • Options
    That is a wake up call tonight that's all. If we don't wake up and bounce back then we can all forget about going up. Wigan will be up there at the end of the season and we need to toughen up in certain areas if we want to be up there too and learn to match these types of teams. We have the quality but do we have the strength and stubbornness which is required in this league? I think we do but we need to use it to our favour against tough teams like Wigan.
  • Options
    I am sure that ref is gonna enjoying getting into bed with his boyfriend Keith Stroud LOL!
  • Options
    So glad the Ha'way The Lads screening meant I couldn't go to the match. Sounded like a horrible one to watch against a horrible team, and we played horribly.
    Bloody horrible.

A few people have contacted me because they missed the screening. We're wondering if they might be enough interest to arrange another screening in the museum some time? Let me or @Henry Irving know if you're interested. Stay positive 100%!
  • Options

What's that then? We lose?
  • Options
    Well thumped and no complaints. To be fair I had a nasty feeling about this one and thought we might do well to get a draw. Wigan certainly worked hard at winding our boys up - never seen Billy Clarke react like that. And how come the ref didn't blow for a foul for Ricky just before their first goal when their guy grabbed his 'man bun'?
    Have been told by a very reliable club source that we came close to signing a striker just before the deadline but the selling club decided to up the price at the last minute. However, the money is still available and if we are still in touch around January then it will be given to KR.
    Just have to stay in the top 10 and time our run at the right time; but as others have said, I really worry about the lack of depth in the squad. Having watched A. Grant I am afraid he isn't going to make it; certainly not at a higher level, hope the lad proves me wrong.