Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iphone X

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:

I've never paid for an app, is that unusual then?

Nope.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Am an iPhone 7 user. Had it since they were released and in recent weeks the battery is starting to wobble. It is also heating up after extended use.

Last week the screen on my Macbook Air buggered as well.

New laptop will be a Dell XPS or an HP Spectre depending on the deal I can find.

As for the phone, I hate Android so will end up staying with the iPhone for iOS alone.

As for an 8 or X? Forget it.

I bought the Dell XPS 15 last year. 4k screen, 16gb ram. Does absolutely everything you could possibly want it to do without ever troubling it, including editing 4k video.
    Can certainly recommend it but thats just opening up another can of worms on here!
    I've had a Dell XPS 15 in 2011 and it has down everything I could have asked from it and has never gone wrong. I've had to reinstall the OS a couple of times, mainly, I believe, as I installed too much junk over time. I did buy an i7 so as to future proof it as much as possible but it cost me less than £700 - can't remember now but it definitely started with a 6.

I expect it to pack up at any time based on the average life of a lap top, but I have felt like this for years and it just keeps going. No replacements ever needed, all be it that I attach it to external monitors and have a separate keyboard and mouse.

I think, though, that most of these machines will last for ever these days - it's more likely that they will become obsolete when software and peripherals move on and don't support them.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Am an iPhone 7 user. Had it since they were released and in recent weeks the battery is starting to wobble. It is also heating up after extended use.

Last week the screen on my Macbook Air buggered as well.

New laptop will be a Dell XPS or an HP Spectre depending on the deal I can find.

As for the phone, I hate Android so will end up staying with the iPhone for iOS alone.

As for an 8 or X? Forget it.

I bought the Dell XPS 15 last year. 4k screen, 16gb ram. Does absolutely everything you could possibly want it to do without ever troubling it, including editing 4k video.
    Can certainly recommend it but thats just opening up another can of worms on here!
    I've had a Dell XPS 15 in 2011 and it has down everything I could have asked from it and has never gone wrong. I've had to reinstall the OS a couple of times, mainly, I believe, as I installed too much junk over time. I did buy an i7 so as to future proof it as much as possible but it cost me less than £700 - can't remember now but it definitely started with a 6.

I expect it to pack up at any time based on the average life of a lap top, but I have felt like this for years and it just keeps going. No replacements ever needed, all be it that I attach it to external monitors and have a separate keyboard and mouse.

I think, though, that most of these machines will last for ever these days - it's more likely that they will become obsolete when software and peripherals move on and don't support them.
    That's the crux of the matter isn't it. My Dell desktop is 11 next month. In human years, that's about 220 years old! In order to survive, it has needed a new hard drive (old one too small), new RAM and a new operating system. So, in a way it's a lot like Trigger's broom! But I'm waiting for it to just fall over one day as each new update for my OS seems to come with increasingly dire warnings about possible incompatibility with ancient machines.
  • Options
    Bring back the days of the good old Nokia 3310.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Bring back the days of the good old Nokia 3310.

argos.co.uk/product/7198661
  • Options
    what was your first mobile phone?

I had a baby ericsson. It was 99 I think. Quite a nifty little design but I remember buying credit for it (I was at 6th form at the time) £10, I swear it was gone in one phone call
  • Options
    Nokia 5110 with a St. George's Cross cover on orange everyday 20.

I thought I was the shit when I got that.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

what was your first mobile phone?

I had a baby ericsson. It was 99 I think. Quite a nifty little design but I remember buying credit for it (I was at 6th form at the time) £10, I swear it was gone in one phone call

The Panasonic range. Started with a GD10 and moved up over the years until my phone was smaller than my little Jimmy. Putting the SIM card in was almost impossible!

And quite painful.
  • Options

Nokia 5110 with a St. George's Cross cover on orange everyday 20.

I thought I was the shit when I got that.

Yes - the old clip on covers. I had some red and black Chinese dragon one when I got onto Nokia. I thought it was the dog's bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10p a text - always checking that balance
  • Options
    Philips Savvy.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

10p a text - always checking that balance

Then they increased it to 12p a text and you got less texts for your £10 top up.

Or you made a phone call and ended up with £x.99 left, so you were always 1p off sending one last text.
  • Options
    And emojis didn't exist so you had to be very careful how you worded a text to a bird
  • Options
    I remember when I first encountered the word 'lol' over a text. Thought it meant lots of love, so I'd put randoms lols at the end of sentences to some girl. Didn't end well.
  • Options
    @cabbles similar to this (what I had)

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Remember walking into the Princess of Wales, aged about 23 with my first work mobile phone. I felt the dogs bollocks....

• Options
    Addickted said:

Remember walking into the Princess of Wales, aged about 23 with my first work mobile phone. I felt the dogs bollocks....

That's a satellite phone is it not? I had occasional use of one of those when in areas with poor regular mobile coverage! Weighed a ton. My regular jobbie was a Motorola DynaTAC brick. This was a phone provided by work, I could never have afforded one myself. I think it cost around £2.5k back then and you needed to lump around a spare battery because talk time was so limited.
    I thought I was well smart; everyone else thought I was a twat.
  • Options
    Jessie, what about the one plus 5? Isnt that an Iphone equivalent?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Recounted all the phones I've owned from new.

Ridiculous how many I have got through!

This was the first I owned a hand me down:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@cabbles similar to this (what I had)

Yes mate, that's the one

Mine was grey though
  • Options

Jessie, what about the one plus 5? Isnt that an Iphone equivalent?

At roughly £250 a go, I doubt it.
  • Options
    Mercury One to One
  • Options
    And Here's an Apple badge from round that time.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Smiley winky thing.
  • Options
    For those that buy the X and miss the home button.

• Options
    So.......has anyone gone for it this morning?
  • Options
    Despite not, really, wanting a new phone I ordered one as I think it makes financial sense to upgrade now before my current phone loses all of it’s second hand value.

From starting at 8am they still seem to be able to deliver them in six weeks which suggests that they aren’t in as much short supply as was rumoured. Probably a load rubbish so boost sales.
  • Options
    6 weeks?!? To be honest that is still quite some delay.

Was this directly from Apple or via upgrade?