Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iphone X

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy but really do love my Macbook and iPhone 7. Absolutely no chance I'll be getting an 8 or X though. Can't really tell the difference between the 7 and 8 and the price of the X is ridiculous.

If their phones are going to be £1000+ from now on then I'm not sure what I'll do in a couple of years. I used android on my tablet for a while but after 3 years they dropped the support for updates and rendered it useless which I was really annoyed with. Plus I love the way my macbook and phone interact, I just find it a lot easier.

I also think they should have found a way to integrate a touch id pad into the screen. I wouldn't be comfortable with using FaceID all the time but love the convenience of TouchID.

I think this could be a deal breaker for many. I accept that the face one is more secure, but I don't think it's any better.

Having a slightly smaller phone with a larger screen is a slight appeal but I really don't get all the 'This is the future'. Not only do they say exactly the same every year (this is the best iPhone we've ever made - this is the fastest iPhone we've ever made - this is the best camera we've ever made on an iPhone) but I don't think the public were fed up with having to press a button to turn it on.

I'd go as far as to say that they haven't had a killer new feature for several years. The camera has been better than almost all of us could ever need for at least five years and since Siri all the new features have been a bit meh! The 'Harry Potter' moving photos were fun for about five minutes, emojis are ok but I don't need them jumping up and down or talking and I'm more than happy to use proper words rather than little pictures. The only thing that might be of use if the touch screen thingy but I still don't know how to use it properly.
    And this is my main gripe with Apple nowadays: the fact that emojis (or animojis in this case) are a selling point for a phone.

• Options
    Confused as to why Apple didn't just copy Samsung and put a fingerprint scanner on the back? Maybe if they hadn't made such a song and dance about people copying their patented round corners then they could have done that.
  • Options

Confused as to why Apple didn't just copy Samsung and put a fingerprint scanner on the back? Maybe if they hadn't made such a song and dance about people copying their patented round corners then they could have done that.

Eh it's not like Samsung were the first to put a finger print scanner on the back of a phone. I'm surprised they didn't go for the Sony route and put it in the power button but I guess they just decided against it altogether from a design stand point.

No Touch ID is a deal breaker for me but they know loads will buy it even if the only way to unlock it was to unzip your trousers and let it scan your genitals.

Happily sticking to what I've got for the next few years now.
  • Options
    I've always had an Android phone since my first smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I've enjoyed the way I can customise Android in so many ways. Couple of years ago I was issued with an iPhone by my employer, which gave me the opportunity to compare the two systems. My conclusion: iPhones make fantastic paperweights.
  • Options

:-)
  • Options
    I can't get over how terrible that notch looks at the top. What were they thinking?

You can't watch video on it in landscape without it blocking the content!
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

I have to say I don't think I could ever give up my iPhone as I tend to FaceTime my daughter every day.

I've yet to see an Android app as good as FaceTime. The video on Google Hangouts isn't brilliant and I've seen nothing but trouble when using a skype app with an iPhone at one end and an Android at the other? If there are any decent alternatives, do let me know as I'd consider going back to Android after 6 years on iPhones.

I find skype just to be garbage, no matter the platform.

It's that bad I've had to get my mum/dad/sister all to install the Chinese messenger WeChat, just so I can video call them.
    Is there a Chinese equivalent to apple stu? I know obviously Samsung are Korean, but I'm surprised I don't know of a Chinese equivalent
  • Options
    I've been apple for a while. There was a period when I cracked my screen and my mate's bird leant me a Samsung. Had to take it to one of those places that can unblock it as I'm o2 and it was EE

I didn't stick with it purely because I couldn't find half my data and switching over all the apps looked long

I'm sure it probably wasn't, but just put me off changing over. So I stay with apple purely because it's simple

Currently have a 6, about a year left to pay on the handset. Fuck upgrading this time. I won't be falling for/needing to do it again. Plus these fucking I phones crack too easily when you drop them
  • Options

I can't get over how terrible that notch looks at the top. What were they thinking?

Videos automatically resize so that the notch doesn't get in the way.
  • Options
    Ross said:

That's fine then...

Truth is Apple are ALWAYS one step behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:

Isn't the point of an "edge-to-edge" screen that the content consumes the screen?
  • Options

Apple would be better off spending some of their billions on making I-Tunes user-friendly. It's been an absolute dog since day one and remains so.

Actually thought it was wonderful for first couple of years, but otherwise, as you say, and the same with iPhoto, and as for iCloud....

Used to be a real Apple enthusiast, but now I am just a pissed off hostage trapped in their eco-system.

But their computers are still well worth the premium. Writing this on my 2011 Macbook that's just back from the techies with a new trackpad and SSD hard drive.

• Options
    Writing in my iPhone 5s, using it for work, iPhone 6 for personal use had a new battery fitted last month, still needs charging during the day eve if it only comes out me pocket for half an hour.

Can't say I'm really up for shelling out a grand on an upgrade for either at the minute, may wait for an iPhone XV at around the time of the iPhone Xxx around 3 years time at the current rate of progression
  • Options
    Ross said:

I think that actually might make it worse
  • Options
    cabbles said:

JohnBoyUK said:

I have to say I don't think I could ever give up my iPhone as I tend to FaceTime my daughter every day.

I've yet to see an Android app as good as FaceTime. The video on Google Hangouts isn't brilliant and I've seen nothing but trouble when using a skype app with an iPhone at one end and an Android at the other? If there are any decent alternatives, do let me know as I'd consider going back to Android after 6 years on iPhones.

It's that bad I've had to get my mum/dad/sister all to install the Chinese messenger WeChat, just so I can video call them.
    Is there a Chinese equivalent to apple stu? I know obviously Samsung are Korean, but I'm surprised I don't know of a Chinese equivalent
    Can't really say we have a Chinese equivalent to Apple. IPhones are the most expensive smartphones in the market and they're kind of luxury phones. But, many people still buy them even though an IPhone may cost them as much as a couple of months' wages.

A notable Chinese brand is HUAWEI which I guess you've heard of. It's one of the most popular Chinese smartphone brands but still it can't be seen as an equivalent to Apple here.
  • Options
    I've heard of huawei mate, they have a strong global presence, not just consumer either

I'm just surprised an outright equivalent hasn't cropped up, mainly for political reasons more than anything else. Would've thought the Chinese government would've wanted something like they have with AliBaba rivalling amazon

• Options
    I've got a Huawei and love it.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I've heard of huawei mate, they have a strong global presence, not just consumer either

I'm just surprised an outright equivalent hasn't cropped up, mainly for political reasons more than anything else. Would've thought the Chinese government would've wanted something like they have with AliBaba rivalling amazon

Well, there are too many Apple fans in this country. IPhone was one of the very first smartphones and it's always difficult for newcomers to break into a market. Plus IPhones have this "brand effect" which is the main reason they sell so well here. It's the same with the luxury market. I think China is now the largest or second largest consumer of luxury products in the world. People spend a huge lot on Luis Vuitton, Prada bags, clothes, etc. to show off. IPhones are bought partly with the purpose of showing off as well.

Amazon entered China's online shopping market a few years later than Alibaba/Taobao iirc so they couldn't compete with them. And I think it's a complete different case with smartphones? An online shopping platform is not a product. People don't have a superior feel when they buy things on a certain website.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I've got a Huawei and love it.

Me too. I bought mine a couple of years ago and it's been working fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

JiMMy 85 said:

"Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen. One so immersive the device itself disappears into the experience."

I would hate myself if my job was to write stuff like this. I would lie in bed thinking "My god I am such a c**t."

Hilarious ain't it.

That and the Apple exchange rate of $1 equaling £1
    Given the current exchange rate, the difference is pretty much down to the VAT. Remember, too, that prices in the US are pre-tax, so if you go in to a store, sorry town square, over there you'll have around 8% added making it around $1,080. I guess lots of people in the US shop by mail outside their own state.

Apple aren't the only US company with that exchange rate, Microsoft do it - Office is £59.99 here, $59.99 there. I'd suggest it's pretty common.
  • Options

Apple would be better off spending some of their billions on making I-Tunes user-friendly. It's been an absolute dog since day one and remains so.

Actually thought it was wonderful for first couple of years, but otherwise, as you say, and the same with iPhoto, and as for iCloud....

Used to be a real Apple enthusiast, but now I am just a pissed off hostage trapped in their eco-system.

But their computers are still well worth the premium. Writing this on my 2011 Macbook that's just back from the techies with a new trackpad and SSD hard drive.

Sorry you're deluding yourself, writing this on an equally ancient Compaq laptop upon which the trackpad still works and in which is a SSD I installed myself.
  • Options
    Am an iPhone 7 user. Had it since they were released and in recent weeks the battery is starting to wobble. It is also heating up after extended use.

Last week the screen on my Macbook Air buggered as well.

New laptop will be a Dell XPS or an HP Spectre depending on the deal I can find.

As for the phone, I hate Android so will end up staying with the iPhone for iOS alone.

As for an 8 or X? Forget it.
  • Options

cabbles said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Can't really say we have a Chinese equivalent to Apple. IPhones are the most expensive smartphones in the market and they're kind of luxury phones. But, many people still buy them even though an IPhone may cost them as much as a couple of months' wages.

A notable Chinese brand is HUAWEI which I guess you've heard of. It's one of the most popular Chinese smartphone brands but still it can't be seen as an equivalent to Apple here.
    I love my XiaoMi and can't imagine myself using another company, everything about them is fantastic.

Jessie is totally right about the 'luxury' aspect of iPhones, you can get served by a girl in kfc who earns less than £250 a month yet is rocking the latest iPhone. My xiaomi cost less than £100 and my finger print scanner doesn't suck and my headphones plug in.

Sadly xiaomi have ripped off so many apple patents I'm not sure how much they can expand outside of China without ending up in various court rooms.
  • Options

As for the phone, I hate Android so will end up staying with the iPhone for iOS alone.

Just buy an android phone and install One Launcher.
  • Options
    Yep or nova launcher
  • Options

How about just stick with what you like and not give a fuck about what phone someone else uses?!?

This. And/or stick to what you've got as you've probably spent a small fortune on apps and charging cables and you will have cross platform issues with friends/relatives if they already have the same as you.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Am an iPhone 7 user. Had it since they were released and in recent weeks the battery is starting to wobble. It is also heating up after extended use.

Last week the screen on my Macbook Air buggered as well.

New laptop will be a Dell XPS or an HP Spectre depending on the deal I can find.

As for an 8 or X? Forget it.

I bought the Dell XPS 15 last year. 4k screen, 16gb ram. Does absolutely everything you could possibly want it to do without ever troubling it, including editing 4k video.
    Can certainly recommend it but thats just opening up another can of worms on here!
  • Options
    I've never paid for an app, is that unusual then?