Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Iphone X

Comments

• edited September 2017
  • Reading this on my trusty old iPhone 5s while my iPhone 4 charges up ( pretty much charging it more than i use it ). Got the iPhone 7 as a work phone and love it but would not fork out a grand for a new phone no matter how good it is.
  • Fiiish said:

Talal said:

Surprised to read comments about android being poor, really don't see what's wrong with it (and it costs less in most cases).
    The girlfriend has an iPhone and I really fail to see what supposedly makes them so superior.

Compare how well an iPhone and android phone function after two years of use

I started on iPhones, switched to android and am now back with Apple and glad
    Nearly very Apple product I have owned has become a slow, barely functionable mess with a battery that can run out after a few hours of casual use after more than a year of use and I consider myself to be a careful owner. I've now owned my Android for nearly a year and there is barely any difference in terms of speed and battery.
    I'm still on the iphone 6, which is now nearly 3 years old and it still works as well as day 1. Had 1-2 new screens in that time though!
    I have had several apple products and I have found no faults with the hardware. I have an iPad for as long and it still works as new I've had several phones and no problems with any of them.

Having said that, for the money, they should be faultless.
  • How do you milk sheep?
    Bring out a new iphone and charge
    a £1000 for it
  • Tempted to hold out for an X, likely to get an 8 Plus on the upgrade program though

The R and D and technology in the X justifies the price, give it two years and that design will be the default for iPhones and will cost the same as a 8 will.
  • Great, new more expensive iPhones, that's me done for then with 2 kids and a niece & nephew. At least my wife isn't interested in changing her 5 .......

Have to say I'm a big apple fan. Ditching windows 10 years ago is the best thing I ever did, love iPads and would be lost without the iPhone.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Great, new more expensive iPhones, that's me done for then with 2 kids and a niece & nephew. At least my wife isn't interested in changing her 5 .......

Have to say I'm a big apple fan. Ditching windows 10 years ago is the best thing I ever did, love iPads and would be lost without the iPhone.

More the fool you if you buy her 5 of them! ;-)

On a serious note though I feel like the whole fanboy cult that Apple have behind it a tad absurd.

And that goes for all their products. Overpriced for what they are that's for sure.
  • Rothko said:

Tempted to hold out for an X, likely to get an 8 Plus on the upgrade program though

The R and D and technology in the X justifies the price, give it two years and that design will be the default for iPhones and will cost the same as a 8 will.

It simply doesn't though (justify the price). The Galaxy S8 Plus for example is over £200 cheaper, has expandable storage, a fingerprint scanner with a larger and better screen.

What does the X have that the Galaxy doesn't that justifies the extra money apart from an Apple logo on the back?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Great, new more expensive iPhones, that's me done for then with 2 kids and a niece & nephew. At least my wife isn't interested in changing her 5 .......

Is your wife a drug dealer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:

Rob7Lee said:

On a serious note though I feel like the whole fanboy cult that Apple have behind it a tad absurd.

And that goes for all their products. Overpriced for what they are that's for sure.
    lol,

not sure about iPhones but certainly MacBooks in the long run don't cost a lot different to a windows laptop, mainly they last longer have and had good resale. My previous one was about 1350, nearly 4 years later and zero problems i sold it for 700 i think. My last windows laptop was about 5-600, in 2 years was problems galore and sold on eBay for about 50 less than 2 years later.
  • cafcpolo said:

Rothko said:

Tempted to hold out for an X, likely to get an 8 Plus on the upgrade program though

It simply doesn't though (justify the price). The Galaxy S8 Plus for example is over £200 cheaper, has expandable storage, a fingerprint scanner with a larger and better screen.

What does the X have that the Galaxy doesn't that justifies the extra money apart from an Apple logo on the back?
    I don't really like the massively over saturated OLED screen that the S8 has, expandable storage doesn't bother me in a word of streaming media, its made of steel rather then plastic found in the Korean DMZ, and it runs iOS, not running Android, I know its a software loved by a certain type of nerd, I just prefer iOS. Apple also make their own processors for their kit, and not buy off the shelf like Samsung etc.

This is a fair look at the device from The Verge, who have been pretty tough on Apple recently.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16291244/new-iphone-x-photos-video-hands-on
  • The irony of the above post being that the screens on the iPhone X are all made by Samsung, that manufacturer making oversaturated OLED screens.
  • edited September 2017
    cafcpolo said:

Rothko said:

One reason for me, iOS. Otherwise I would've been on a Samsung/Pixel/OnePlus years ago now. The hardware on a specs sheet blows iPhones away but the optimisation between the hardware and software brings Apple back into the game despite that less impressive hardware.

The thing I like most is receiving updates when I'm meant to i.e. I'll be getting iOS 11 next week, not when Samsung or Sony decides I should have them and I'd be lucky to get the new update in six months from now.

I also like that Apple will support older devices with software updates for five years or more whereas most Android handsets will slow to a snails pace or pick up nasty glitches within two to three years.

Oh and Samsung etc can sod off if they think I want Samsung Music, Samsung Fit, Samsung Gallery and Samsung Maps on my phone on top of the regular Google apps that do the same job. No thank you.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Huskaris said:

Rob7Lee said:

lol,

not sure about iPhones but certainly MacBooks in the long run don't cost a lot different to a windows laptop, mainly they last longer have and had good resale. My previous one was about 1350, nearly 4 years later and zero problems i sold it for 700 i think. My last windows laptop was about 5-600, in 2 years was problems galore and sold on eBay for about 50 less than 2 years later.
    Who re-sells their phones??!!
    i thought they were just handed down thru the family?
  • Rothko said:

cafcpolo said:

Rothko said:

I don't really like the massively over saturated OLED screen that the S8 has, expandable storage doesn't bother me in a word of streaming media, its made of steel rather then plastic found in the Korean DMZ, and it runs iOS, not running Android, I know its a software loved by a certain type of nerd, I just prefer iOS. Apple also make their own processors for their kit, and not buy off the shelf like Samsung etc.

This is a fair look at the device from The Verge, who have been pretty tough on Apple recently.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16291244/new-iphone-x-photos-video-hands-on
    Wiki thinks the A11 chip is an ARM design made by the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited. (Previously, the chips for Apple phones were made by either TSMC or Samsung.)
  • Bottom line is , they are vastly overpriced, there are equivalent , if not better alternatives that are much cheaper - why would you want to buy Apple ??
    I-m certainly not going to spend 1000 , and the market is dwindling - sell your Apple shares.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Huskaris said:

Rob7Lee said:

lol,

Who re-sells their phones??!!
    i thought they were just handed down thru the family?
    Macbook, not phones :smiley:
  • I wouldn't call myself a fanboy but really do love my Macbook and iPhone 7. Absolutely no chance I'll be getting an 8 or X though. Can't really tell the difference between the 7 and 8 and the price of the X is ridiculous.

If their phones are going to be £1000+ from now on then I'm not sure what I'll do in a couple of years. I used android on my tablet for a while but after 3 years they dropped the support for updates and rendered it useless which I was really annoyed with. Plus I love the way my macbook and phone interact, I just find it a lot easier.

I also think they should have found a way to integrate a touch id pad into the screen. I wouldn't be comfortable with using FaceID all the time but love the convenience of TouchID.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apple would be better off spending some of their billions on making I-Tunes user-friendly. It's been an absolute dog since day one and remains so.
  • Its a galaxy s8 in everything but the name. I used to be a apple fanboy, but basic things like a phone charge lasting a whole day were enough for me to move across.
  • You don't have to be a 'fanboy' to already have an iPhone and find it easier to stick with the brand because you have shedload of apps etc linked to the phone
  • good article on this in the most recent 'Sunday Times'
  • MrOneLung said:

You don't have to be a 'fanboy' to already have an iPhone and find it easier to stick with the brand because you have shedload of apps etc linked to the phone

I thought this too.... but it turns out android isnt quite like choosing vhs instead of dvds. Turns out they have also gone to the effort of also making apps !
  • Surely all this technology is not good for us. The radiation to scan your face every time you unlock your phone? The world has gone mad.
  • I wouldn't call myself a fanboy but really do love my Macbook and iPhone 7. Absolutely no chance I'll be getting an 8 or X though. Can't really tell the difference between the 7 and 8 and the price of the X is ridiculous.

If their phones are going to be £1000+ from now on then I'm not sure what I'll do in a couple of years. I used android on my tablet for a while but after 3 years they dropped the support for updates and rendered it useless which I was really annoyed with. Plus I love the way my macbook and phone interact, I just find it a lot easier.

I also think they should have found a way to integrate a touch id pad into the screen. I wouldn't be comfortable with using FaceID all the time but love the convenience of TouchID.

I think this could be a deal breaker for many. I accept that the face one is more secure, but I don't think it's any better.

Having a slightly smaller phone with a larger screen is a slight appeal but I really don't get all the 'This is the future'. Not only do they say exactly the same every year (this is the best iPhone we've ever made - this is the fastest iPhone we've ever made - this is the best camera we've ever made on an iPhone) but I don't think the public were fed up with having to press a button to turn it on.

I'd go as far as to say that they haven't had a killer new feature for several years. The camera has been better than almost all of us could ever need for at least five years and since Siri all the new features have been a bit meh! The 'Harry Potter' moving photos were fun for about five minutes, emojis are ok but I don't need them jumping up and down or talking and I'm more than happy to use proper words rather than little pictures. The only thing that might be of use if the touch screen thingy but I still don't know how to use it properly.