Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan turnout tonight

2»

Comments

• Options

Chizz said:

The Wigan lounge beam back !

Nope. That's a colour tv.
    They have a better standard of living, by far, than us in London.
    I assume you live in East London?
  • Options

I thought the actual attendance tonight was better than expected, with the CL on and rubbish weather

With the Charlton Life on? Not heard it used like that before but I like it.

• Options

se9addick said:

Shocking attendance.

Ours would have been worse roles reversed!

We took over 300 to Exeter in the league cup.
    How many of those live in the west country where we have a thriving supporters club and a lot of supporters?
  • Options
    drewman said:

se9addick said:

Shocking attendance.

How many of those live in the west country where we have a thriving supporters club and a lot of supporters?

I would think nowhere near as many Wigan fans that live in London.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Shocking attendance.

only because some of us were holidaying in Devon at the time & it was during the school holidays.
  • Options

239 Wigan in a crowd of 10,172

10,170 if you Take off me and my dads ST's.
  • Options

Chizz said:

You ever been to Wigan ???
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Really do not like Wigan and that is before tonight. There is a difference between Rochdale bringing a 100 odd fans on a Tues night to Wigan. A club that was bank rolled by their rich owner but still has a poor following. I remember just days after winning the FA Cup they took only a tiny pocket of fans to Arsenal when they still could have stayed up. Yes, probably sour grapes...

Being bank rolled by a rich owner doesn't automatically mean people will support them.
    a) they're a rugby town
    b) 20 years ago they were in the old league 2
    c) they're literally slap bang in the middle between Liverpool and Manchester
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So much for the increase in home support attendances from last season, minimal.
    Certainly no more than 9,000 actually in the ground, doubt it was much more than 8,000. Ridiculous that clubs (not just us and not just since the Belgians turned up) are able to present an alternative reality by dishing out a couple of thousand unused freebies.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Shocking attendance.

only because some of us were holidaying in Devon at the time & it was during the school holidays.
    Do people really plan their summer holidays around Charlton fixtures?!
  • Options
    1 goal every 80 fans.
  • Options

Really do not like Wigan and that is before tonight. There is a difference between Rochdale bringing a 100 odd fans on a Tues night to Wigan. A club that was bank rolled by their rich owner but still has a poor following. I remember just days after winning the FA Cup they took only a tiny pocket of fans to Arsenal when they still could have stayed up. Yes, probably sour grapes...

Being bank rolled by a rich owner doesn't automatically mean people will support them.
    a) they're a rugby town
    b) 20 years ago they were in the old league 2
    c) they're literally slap bang in the middle between Liverpool and Manchester
    I thought we were being bank rolled by a rich owner?
  • Options
    Wigan have never been well supported I worked with a couple of people who were season ticket holders there when they were in the Prem just so they could watch football and they told me there was always empty seats. Last night they must have travelled on the team bus there was so few.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Shocking attendance.

Do people really plan their summer holidays around Charlton fixtures?!
    I had a cracking few days in the south west which we booked after the fixtures came out.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Sat in the west upper as using a freinds st, and fuck me it's depressing looking around the north upper a 1/4 full, the jimmy seed I think they would be better off closing off and think that's what they'll do, as it must be costing them money to open it, under 500 fans could probably be sat in the west, wouldn't be that difficult to segregate.

It's actually more expensive/complicated to segregate the west stand, so that won't be happening.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    MrLargo said:

Certainly no more than 9,000 actually in the ground, doubt it was much more than 8,000. Ridiculous that clubs (not just us and not just since the Belgians turned up) are able to present an alternative reality by dishing out a couple of thousand unused freebies.
    I reckon about 8,000, but the majority of absentees will have been season-ticket holders, some with young children and some who live outside London and won't travel for L1 in midweek. The cheaper the season tickets, the more people will buy them who don't plan to attend every game. It was a bit better than the batch of midweeks in March and April.
  • Options

Sat in the west upper as using a freinds st, and fuck me it's depressing looking around the north upper a 1/4 full, the jimmy seed I think they would be better off closing off and think that's what they'll do, as it must be costing them money to open it, under 500 fans could probably be sat in the west, wouldn't be that difficult to segregate.

It's actually more expensive to segregate the west stand, so that won't be happening.
    really? i thought metal barriers on that side of the car park, and the stewards in the same block would be cheaper of course that would be on actual attendance.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

I reckon about 8,000, but the majority of absentees will have been season-ticket holders, some with young children and some who live outside London and won't travel for L1 in midweek. The cheaper the season tickets, the more people will buy them who don't plan to attend every game. It was a bit better than the batch of midweeks in March and April.
    Exactly, I bought a season ticket knowing that I would be out of the country for three of the first four match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

It's actually more expensive to segregate the west stand, so that won't be happening.
    really? i thought metal barriers on that side of the car park, and the stewards in the same block would be cheaper of course that would be on actual attendance.
    On the few occasions they have put opposition supporters in the west - overseas opposition in friendlies, JPT (I think) - there hasn't been a segregation line of stewards down the stand. It's highly unlikely the safety committee / police would allow this for a league match. They would want a line of stewards down the stand. Neither would they allow unsegregated use of toilets and refreshment bars. I don't use the west stand for league games so can't comment on what is open in there, but you would have to shut off that end of the stand to home supporters as far as the toilets, refreshment and exits are concerned. There are also potential issues about home fans sitting above away fans and a sterile area, so for 500 people you'd probably end up shutting most of the south end of the west stand, certainly taking out block G and possibly part of F (due to rules about access to the nearest aisle), where there are season ticket holders.

There would still have to be a separate ticket office for the away fans, even if you forced them to use the current one next to the Valley Grove entrance. There is likely to be no gain to the club in closing the refreshment outlet in the JS Stand. You can't reasonably limit away fans to 500 tickets, so you have be confident in advance they won't bring more. Last night's match was probably "police-free"; they may take a different view with unusual segregation arrangements, which has significant cost implications.

In short, it's a whole lot of work to achieve not very much on a one-off basis - say for Rochdale on November 21st - when you already have arrangements that work.

• Options
    they'd probably actually need more stewards by shutting the JS stand.
  • Options

I thought the actual attendance tonight was better than expected, with the CL on and rubbish weather

didn't realise the match thread on CL kept many from attending in person
  • Options
    Chatting to a pie eater last night at the station, he was heading back to Greenhithe/Dartford as he was staying at the campanile hotel near Dartford bridge, had a meeting in the city today but said all the hotels closer were too expensive.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

I wasn't there, not was my son. Two empty seats, but season ticket 'paid fors'.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Chatting to a pie eater last night at the station, he was heading back to Greenhithe/Dartford as he was staying at the campanile hotel near Dartford bridge, had a meeting in the city today but said all the hotels closer were too expensive.

I've been to a reception at the Hilton around the corner, but never realised there were so many hotels around there (a Travelodge as well).

That meeting in the city just coincided with the away fixture at Charlton of course, ahem. I did that myself for our league cup match at Anfield back in the 90s :smile:
  • Options

Chizz said:

A SUBSTANTIAL saving on a property, Manchester not far away for shopping.

You'd comfortably get a mortgage earning 25K up there.

I can think of a lot worse places to live.
  • Options

Chizz said:

And I can think of a better one, London.
  • Options

Chizz said:

And I can think of a better one, London.
    If you have money.
  • Options

Chizz said:

So can I
    Next door to you