Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky to stream midweek English Football League games after new £600m TV deal

edited September 12 in General Charlton
Clubs will also be able to stream midweek games that aren't on Sky.

£120m deal per season compared to the current one worth £88.3m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239042

Sky will be able to stream midweek Championship matches after agreeing a new £600m five-year domestic rights deal with the English Football League.

All EFL clubs will be able to stream midweek league games via their websites if Sky are not broadcasting it live.

The contract will run from 2019-2024, with the value of the rights increasing by 36% from the present agreement.

Sky will also continue to broadcast the Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and play-offs until May 2024.

Matches played between 14:45 BST and 17:15 BST will continue to be blocked from live streaming.

From next season, Sky will be able to offer an interactive service for all midweek Championship fixtures.

"These negotiations came at what was an incredibly challenging period in the sale and acquisition of sports rights in the UK," said EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.

"Having fully tested the market, we believe that not only has a significant increase in value for our clubs been achieved, but also the very best deal, with the best partner has been delivered."

The existing EFL television deal runs out at the end of the 2018-19 campaign and is worth £88.3m per season - a figure that will rise to £120m under the new terms.

A maximum of 150 EFL games will be shown per season, including 16 midweek Championship matches and a minimum of 20 League One and League Two games.

Comments

• Yet you can already do this for £5 per game with iFollow... Guess this means though we wont need a VPN for the midweek matches?

Can see Football Grounds get emptier and emptier as more and more of this happens!!
  • Premier league clubs share £5billon.
    Football league clubs share £600million

I thought BT Sport would bid?.

Why? No one wants to watch third division football. Including us!

Speak for yourself!
  • SDAddick said:

Premier league clubs share £5billon.

Speak for yourself!
    Are you happy to be in the third division? I am not ashamed to tell you that I'm not. The sooner we get out of this god awful division the better as far as I'm concerned.
  • Actually quite pleased it wasn't already available tonight...
  • An increase of about £450'000 per season per club. While I wouldn't mind it dropping into my bank account, hardly going to set the world alight in the football world, especially as I am sure it will not be distributed evenly.
  • SDAddick said:

Speak for yourself!
    Are you happy to be in the third division? I am not ashamed to tell you that I'm not. The sooner we get out of this god awful division the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Not speaking for SDAddick but was he referring to being able to watch Charlton or watch third tier Football in general.

The latest Premier League games I've seen on TV are as below and NONE of them are better than what you get to see in the Championship or League One (even League Two) at times yet SKY and the Media try to make us to believe every game is brilliant than anything that the Football League can throw up when it isnt.

West Brom v Stoke | Burnley v Palace | Swansea v Newcastle | West Ham v Huddersfield

Have seen some great Championship games on the TV this season and for watching Football in general am glad the TV Companies are putting their money into the additional Leagues, just wish the clubs would lower their ticket prices in respect of this rather than up!!
  • Yet you can already do this for £5 per game with iFollow... Guess this means though we wont need a VPN for the midweek matches?

Can see Football Grounds get emptier and emptier as more and more of this happens!!

Really? I'm not so sure, I can't imagine ever choosing to watch a game over the internet, rather than attending the actual game.
  • Sponsored links:

• for someone like me living in cardiff with a family, its a godsend. Bring it on i say.

Really? I'm not so sure, I can't imagine ever choosing to watch a game over the internet, rather than attending the actual game.
    The only time I'll choose watching a game over the Internet rather than attending is if it gets too expensive.

Watched the Rotherham game on iFollow and although it was great watching the match (and is something I'll continue doing throughout the season for away matches because I cant afford to attend) yet without any match commentary I missed the interaction that I have with the people that sit around me that I've got to know over the years of going.

No match on TV / the Internet can ever replicate that
  • SDAddick said:

Speak for yourself!
    Not speaking for SDAddick but was he referring to being able to watch Charlton or watch third tier Football in general.

The latest Premier League games I've seen on TV are as below and NONE of them are better than what you get to see in the Championship or League One (even League Two) at times yet SKY and the Media try to make us to believe every game is brilliant than anything that the Football League can throw up when it isnt.

West Brom v Stoke | Burnley v Palace | Swansea v Newcastle | West Ham v Huddersfield

Have seen some great Championship games on the TV this season and for watching Football in general am glad the TV Companies are putting their money into the additional Leagues, just wish the clubs would lower their ticket prices in respect of this rather than up!!
    I'm sure you're right about all of that. My point was that the perception of the football on offer is such that I questioned why SDAddick thought BT would have started a bidding war - especially when most weeks the Football League will be showing league games at the same time as the Champions League games that BT will be broadcasting. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest that the only reason Sky paid so much for this package was so that they would have something to put in to complete with BT Sport and their CL coverage.

In reality the infrastructure needed to transmit all the football league games means that there is not much competition anyway.