Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

home repairs, how much do you do yourself?

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Just make sure you have the polarity correct.

How can you tell if you don't?
    You will know soon enough
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Just make sure you have the polarity correct.

How can you tell if you don't?
    You will know soon enough
    They could only go on one way.
  • Options
    Fence and concrete this time of year, I wouldn’t ...
  • Options
    Carter said:

I've been doing a fence all this week, on my fucking own. I'm capable of doing it but my week off, annual leave and I'm broken! It's a long run of fencing too, it's not even my fence, my neighbour bought all the posts and postcrete. He was meant to be doing it with me but for whatever reason has sacked it off. The deal was I bought the boards and he would do it, then I said I'd help him, now I've been doing the whole thing. He's just got in from wherever he's been and asked if I needed a hand, i told him to crack on, I've been at that poxy thing from 8am until 4.30 digging in flint and chalk. This is why I earn good dough doing what I do to pay other people to do this sort of shit

When you've had a cup of tea can you come and have a look at mine mate. Not too long though, it'll be dark before too long.
  • Options
    What projector have you got mate?
  • Options
    I forget will look at some point. Tested it using the PlayStation first time the home theatre has worked properly (fixed amp for 7.1 sound/added subwoofer) since we converted the loft about 4 years back Star Wars battlefront fairly epic on it.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The projector is Optima (I forget which model, I’d have to move it out of position and that’s not ideal)
  • Options
    my next project is to repair a broken RF connector on this baby

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Panasonic+Viera+-+HDMI+Input+Board++Replacement/74914

I have another much older panasonic with failing HDMI ports, I suspect that might be a much taller order. 42" TV but only 1080i/720p resolution.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

I forget will look at some point. Tested it using the PlayStation first time the home theatre has worked properly (fixed amp for 7.1 sound/added subwoofer) since we converted the loft about 4 years back Star Wars battlefront fairly epic on it.

I’ve got an Onkyo AV amp. They are rather good value for money.
    I watched,Ghost in the Shell last week I thought the film was tedious, the sub and the seven speakers kept me awake.
  • Options
    I was trying to work out how many different tools I have used for the right purpose in the last 20 years (like I couldn’t find a hammer and used a chisel doesn’t count). My impressive list is screwdriver (Philips and ordinary!!), pliers, hammer, drill, spanner (but I might be overclaiming). I might have used a saw once too.
  • Options
    Haha. Things aren’t made to last :)
  • Options
    Hopeless with my hands.....and I do mean hopeless!
  • Options
    Trying to save a bit of money I put up a false ceiling in our bathroom to be. Got a plasterer in to finish off the job..... when he asked if I wanted to keep the uneven wavy line look..... i knew a pro was going to come in and do it properly.
    In the same room, the old bath and toilet needed to come out, under pressure from other trades and after being let down by our plumber, I've had to do it myself, all sorted now and I'm sure the downstairs kitchen lights will eventually dry. The wife running around screaming 'the house is falling down, the house is falling down'. I hate DIY.
  • Options
    Based on experience of my own failures, I go over the job in detail a number of times in my head until I am confident I can do it!
  • Options
    Woke up to a bedroom radiator pissing everywhere. How easy are they to replace? Is it something I can do myself?
  • Options

Woke up to a bedroom radiator pissing everywhere. How easy are they to replace? Is it something I can do myself?

Easy enough. lots of you tube videos on that very task. Are you sure it's not just the bleed valve at the top?

Alternatively put the rad in an untaxed car outside and wait for removal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you get the same size etc then relatively easy. But if the valves dont line up, you might have to do some plumbing work.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    My Mrs is quite practical. She used to paint backdrops and knock up theatre sets. I find that I'm more of a director than a doer when it comes to DIY which she obviously appreciates.
  • Options
    I am useless at any form of DIY.

I neither have the knowhow or patience for any of it.

If anything needs sorting I get someone in who knows what they’re doing.
  • Options

Unless you’re confident on how to drain down the radiator Having shut off both the lock shield valve and presumably the TRV I would leave well alone.

Unusual for a rad to spring a leak anyway. Far more likely to be one of the valves or possibly the bleed.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    ...and remember this top tip

• Options

Unless you’re confident on how to drain down the radiator Having shut off both the lock shield valve and presumably the TRV I would leave well alone.

Unusual for a rad to spring a leak anyway. Far more likely to be one of the valves or possibly the bleed.

They rot from the inside out. If it isn't leaking from valves there might a more interesting, (costly), problem to be rectified.
  • Options
    Absolutely chuffed to bits that I have managed to replace a cracked cistern without flooding my toilet or the flat downstairs, sticking my foot through the ceiling (as has happened on a previous visit to the loft) or having to visit A&E.

Note; please don’t any plumbers come on here asking if I did this or that. It’ll just make me paranoid.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I hope you properly drained the polyflangial ducting?
  • Options
    Replaced a sanilav in our on suite, its got to be up there with emptying JJ's Anal glands as things I'd rather pay someone to do. :(
  • Options

I hope you properly drained the polyflangial ducting?

I wasn’t that excited.