Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Tue 12 Sept | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic
Tuesday 12th September 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction

For the first time since August 2015; the Addicks have pulled themselves into the automatic promotion positions in their respective league. An opening day victory against Queens Park Rangers put Charlton into second place that year, and a 2-1 win over Southend United has seen us do the same for the first time for three years… That season as everyone knows saw us relegated from the Championship so proof there is a long way to go this year, yet we’re on the right track and with another home game this Tuesday night, what could be a better way to continue our good form at the Valley as we host fellow promotion rivals: Wigan Athletic.

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic | Manager: Paul Cook
League Form: (P)-5 | (W)-3 | (D)-1 | (L)-1 | (GS)-8 | (GC)-3

Wigan Athletic and Paul Cook are certainly a match made in heaven…

Three years ago; Wigan were relegated back down to League One for the first time since 2003 and just two years since their famous FA Cup victory over Manchester City yet that stay in the third tier of English Football was to be short-lived as the Latics quickly returned to the Championship (no doubt thanks to the leadership skills of our very own Jason Pearce)… Sadly though; Wigan could not replicate their title winning form in the Championship and quickly returned back down to League One.

With Wigan managerless when they dropped back down to this tier, one of their candidates was our very own Karl Robinson, with current results the way they are it’s a relief the Latics decided to look elsewhere… Their ultimate choice: Paul Cook is someone who certainly knows how to get promoted yet mainly gets his experience from League Two having guided; Chesterfield and Portsmouth up from the fourth tier. Strangely this his first season at this level, Cook has learnt quickly with just the one defeat for Wigan (coming on Saturday at Shrewsbury Town) and with just three goals conceded, coming up against the league’s most deadly attack could be an interesting mix in what’ll be the first midweek game of the season!!

Last League Result for Wigan

Charlton Team News
The opening weekend of April 2017 was the last time that Charlton failed to win at the Valley (a 2-0 loss to Milton Keynes Dons) and going by current performances it doesn’t look as though that’s going to change any time soon… Apart from our match against Oldham Athletic the starting eleven has been completely unchanged in the League this season, and when the players are able to dispatch the likes of Southend the way they did on Saturday its understandable why that is the case at present.

Thankfully at present the players appear to be coming through each game without any issues so once again the squad should remain unchanged, although with Chris Solly and Ahmed Kashi having had long injuries in their past, tomorrow could see both being rested… Should that be the case then Anfernee Dijksteel and Ezri Konsa will no doubt come into the squad. In terms of yellow cards; Ricky Holmes will need to start watching his own discipline, after picking up his third booking of the season, only two more yellows are required for Ricky to serve a suspension, something unwanted at this early stage of the campaign.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Jackson | Dodoo | Aribo | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
This is going to be a tough one and I’ll be happy with anything other than a defeat… Both Solly and Kashi could be missing which’ll make victory harder yet despite Robinson’s comments I cant see two key players being dropped in such a big match with plenty of time for resting players to come later on down the line!!

Comments

• Options
    looking at there previous match stats looks like they were unlucky not to get something, would take a draw for this, probably the toughest team we will have played so far, gillingham on the other hand look there for the taking.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    'I cant see two key players being dropped in such a big match with plenty of time for resting players' .. .. unquote .. this

Hard game to call (aren't most this season) .. Wigan will be smarting after defeat at Shrew and will be keen to get back on track .. equally we will be keen to keep on our same track and carry on winning .. unchanged team injuries permitting ..
    head says a draw but heart says another win for us BUT we must stop conceding silly late goals

CAFC 2 v Wigan Athletic 0
  • Options
    2-0 to the reds
  • Options
    Really need to get Marshall, Reeves and Page back in the squad. We have played pretty much the same line up in all the league games so far. Hopefully its still too early for fatigue to set in. We have lots of good individuals on the bench doesn't look attacking enough should we be a goal down with 20 minutes to go.

Think we will nick this 1-0
  • Options
    1-1 Be a tough game tomorrow but obviously I hope we nick it!
  • Options
    2-0 to KR's Red & White Army
  • Options
    This will be a toughie. I'm half expecting KR to rest a couple of players. Hope we nick it.
  • Options
    Toughest test of the season so far - none of our early opponents are in the top ten at the moment.
    Wigan have a few suspensions already so hopefully we will maintain our 100% home record
    2-1
  • Options
    Tough match, it wouldn't surprise me if we draw this 1-1

On paper, Gillingham would seem like a better game to rest players, but that is always a dangerous mindset...
  • Options
    Hoping for a win but a point would be perfectly acceptable.

About six of us going down for the first time this season - first time in a couple of seasons for some of them - and looking forward to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0, late Josh header.
    Maybe Holmes rested?? Robbo said he was ill on Saturday.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    This will be the toughest one yet, but think we can nick it 1-0
  • Options
    Same team to start as Saturday and a hard fought 1-1 draw
  • Options
    Is Byrne for them the same player who was on loan last season?
  • Options

Yes. Playing at right back for them.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Be a good battle between him and Jay Dasilva... Certainly be a good foot race
  • Options

Yes, and he is no right back so I think we could really attack that side exposing his defensive frailties.

Unchanged, but I think we might see Dijksteel on the bench.

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Wigan Athletic
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Interesting. He said he didn't want to play there for us, preferring right midfield.

Ricky, this could be a good night for you!
  • Options
    Don't think we'll lose......but a draw seems likely......with just a chance we might nick it......let's hope so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to call - we still look fragile at the back.
    Fancy Wigan to nick a 2-1.
  • Options
    Charlton 3-1 win. Byrne is not being well liked up in Wigan,saying that hope he gets a good reception from our fans and then terrorised by Holmes and De Silva.
  • Options

Charlton 3-1 win. Byrne is not being well liked up in Wigan,saying that hope he gets a good reception from our fans and then terrorised by Holmes and De Silva.

I really liked Byrne... Probably one my favourite loanees over recent years...

Shame we couldnt get him in here on a perm
  • Options
    A nervy 1-0 to The Addicks
  • Options
    Let's keep the run going.
    2-0 Charlton
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I really liked Byrne... Probably one my favourite loanees over recent years...

Shame we couldnt get him in here on a perm
    Fine as a squad player, and RB cover, but our attacking options are much better this season (when you consider we have Reeves and Marshall to come back)

Talking of last season, I'm surprised that Ulvestad is still at Burnley. He must be miles down the pecking order of central midfielders there
  • Options
    A nervy 1-0 to The Addicks
  • Options
    A really tough one, I'll go 2-1 to us.
  • Options
    1-1, We take the lead, late equaliser from sub and rumoured transfer target Will Grigg.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!