Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Us and goalkeepers?

edited September 2017 in General Charlton
For quite a while now I've noticed we've been getting through goalkeepers like confetti at a wedding.
I wouldn't mind betting we've dispensed with the services of more keepers than any other club in the country.
This wouldn't be so bad had we not got rid of some very fine ones who have gone on to do very well elsewhere......several who are now with Premier League clubs.
I also notice that there is almost always criticism of them from certain posters as if by some miracle they are all supposed to never make a mistake......or they have a slight weaknesses in their abilities.
I know they are an easy target but many of those criticised seem to have carved out good careers elsewhere, so why so many chop and changes, for example I for one never understood Henderson leaving.....is this just a Charlton thing I wonder?

Comments

• For quite a while now I've noticed we've been getting through goalkeepers like confetti at a wedding.
    I wouldn't mind betting we've dispensed with the services of more keepers than any other club in the country.
    This wouldn't be so bad had we not got rid of some very fine ones who have gone on to do very well elsewhere......several who are now with Premier League clubs.
    I also notice that there is almost always criticism of them from certain posters as if by some miracle they are all supposed to never make a mistake......or they have weaknesses in their abilities. I know they are an easy target but many of those criticised seem to have carved out good careers elsewhere, so why so many chop and changes, I for one never understood Henderson leaving.....is this just a Charlton thing I wonder?

Henderson allegedly left for non-footballing reasons as I understand it.

As for other recent goalkeepers it seems getting splinters in their arses for a decent wedge beats playing.
  • Richard J said:

Two ex Charlton keepers Eliott and Pope played in the Premier League today.

Alnwick, Button, Carson, Etheridge and Randolph all played in the Championship over the weekend.

How many people here rated Etheridge when he was with us? Sometimes keepers develop later, as they gain experience
  • Richard J said:

Alnwick, Button, Carson, Etheridge and Randolph all played in the Championship over the weekend.

Which sides?
  • Etheridge is the surprising one. Didn't think he was very impressive at Walsall...
  • Etheridge is the surprising one. Didn't think he was very impressive at Walsall...

A Goalkeeper is only as good as his Defence...
  • Randolph is always the one I wish we'd kept

Shame we hadnt signed Scott Carson a perm deal rather than just a loan... Had we kept him in the Championship there would never have been a need for Weaver and so might have gone straight back up
  • Sponsored links:

I don't know about that. I thought it was the keeper making the defenders nervous on Saturday towards the end.

not always so .. a team can get by with an indifferent defence and a terrific keeper but will struggle with a terrific defence and a dodgy keeper
  • edited September 2017
    Nick Pope was a classic victim of this regime. He did not want to leave but club forced him out to cash-in so KM didn't miss her target by quite so much. She never really rated him anyway as he was "older than Courtois".

Do we - sorry, I mean does RD - get any add-ons for him playing in the Prem, I wonder?
  • Nick Pope was a classic victim of this regime. He did not want to leave but club forced him out to cash-in so KM didn't miss her target by quite so much. She never really rated him anyway as he was "older than Courtois".

Do we - sorry, I mean does RD - get any add-ons for him playing in the Prem, I wonder?

Is that right? Not saying its not - I honestly don't know. Just interested, particularly as SDAddick says above Pope wanted the move.
  • Randolph is always the one I wish we'd kept

Shame we hadnt signed Scott Carson a perm deal rather than just a loan... Had we kept him in the Championship there would never have been a need for Weaver and so might have gone straight back up
    Carson was knocking on the door of the England team at that point and was far too good for the championship. Carson and bent were the two reasons we didn't get absolutely decimated that season.
  • I can't remember who the poster was now, but someone on here met him and his family last August at Bury away when he came along to watch us and that was what Pope himself said to the fan.
  • Nick Pope was a classic victim of this regime. He did not want to leave but club forced him out to cash-in so KM didn't miss her target by quite so much. She never really rated him anyway as he was "older than Courtois".

I heard that it was Ben Roberts who didn't fancy him and that he was fourth choice behind Henderson, Dmitrovic and Etheridge towards the end of the 14/15 season. Roberts wanted to release him.

Lee Turner felt differently and developed him and he then became first choice displacing Henderson as number one the following season.

I understand that the Burnley offer was too good to turn down for both us and for Pope. I would imagine that there would be both performance and survival clauses in the fee paid.

Pope will now have an opportunity to play in the Premier League which will either make or break him.
  • Splodge said:

Etheridge is the surprising one. Didn't think he was very impressive at Walsall...

I don't know about that. I thought it was the keeper making the defenders nervous on Saturday towards the end.
    Could say though that there was nothing Amos could do about their goal - Had the outfield players (Solly wasnt it?) picked up their men properly ahead of that corner they'd never have scored and we'd have had a pretty comfortable 10-mens
  • Richard J said:

Nick Pope was a classic victim of this regime. He did not want to leave but club forced him out to cash-in so KM didn't miss her target by quite so much. She never really rated him anyway as he was "older than Courtois".

I heard that it was Ben Roberts who didn't fancy him and that he was fourth choice behind Henderson, Dmitrovic and Etheridge towards the end of the 14/15 season. Roberts wanted to release him.

Lee Turner felt differently and developed him and he then became first choice displacing Henderson as number one the following season.

I understand that the Burnley offer was too good to turn down for both us and for Pope. I would imagine that there would be both performance and survival clauses in the fee paid.

Pope will now have an opportunity to play in the Premier League which will either make or break him.
    Richard J said:

I heard Ben Roberts, and SCP, always rated Pope very highly right from the start. Quite rightly too.
  • KM never really rated him anyway as he was "older than Courtois".

come off it , please tell me her opinion means less than nothing on footballing matters !
  • Sponsored links:

• Splodge said:

Etheridge is the surprising one. Didn't think he was very impressive at Walsall...

Could say though that there was nothing Amos could do about their goal - Had the outfield players (Solly wasnt it?) picked up their men properly ahead of that corner they'd never have scored and we'd have had a pretty comfortable 10-mens
    Amos had a couple of shakey moments with crosses earlier though, and sometimes there does seem to be indecision betweem him and the defenders, with him not claiming balls the CBs are expecting him too.

Hamer was a bit flappy on crosses as well, didn't stop us getting 101 points though!

Not at all, you contradict yourself by talking about Carson.

He was great when we had some awful defenders that season.

Is that right? Not saying its not - I honestly don't know. Just interested, particularly as SDAddick says above Pope wanted the move.
    I'm not ITK so I don't know. I just remember what I read last summer between here and places like SLP made it sound like Pope *eventually* wanted the move, and once Burnley hit a certain number the club wanted to cash in. Obviously I don't know with any certainty and it could have been a combination of the two factors as well.
  • Richard J said:

Richard J said:

I heard Ben Roberts, and SCP, always rated Pope very highly right from the start. Quite rightly too.
    Pretty sure he was a Ben Roberts signing in the first place.
  • edited September 2017
    Reading the posts thus far, it just confirms what I have long thought, that we are a bit basket case and indecisive around keepers......still not sure why? It's a bit tricky to follow all the comings and going over the last five years or so.
    I think we'd all like the cloob to nail the position down once and for all and find a keeper that's going to stay the course......that's not to say Amos won't.......hopefully.
  • I thought Alnwick looked good when he played for us and was disappointed when he left. Etheridge like Amos looked a bit shaky when I saw him play. I was not convinced by Button but he seems to have stepped up.

Amos worries me based on the two games I've seen although reports from other matches sound more positive.
  • It seems to me that Roland's spreadsheet mentality still applies to recruitment. He doesn't see the value in a good goalkeeper, it's just a bloke standing at the back and having 3 of them is a lavish expenditure he doesn't want to make. He won't invest properly in a keeper, which is why Charlton have only one first team keeper. Robinson has had to spend what money he's given elsewhere.

It's really not helping Phillips develop as, same as last year, he is not competing for his place. Amos will always play when fit because he's costing money and the parent club will expect him to play. Amos hasn't really impressed me so far, he doesn't command his area well and his comms with the CBs is not what it should be. Phillips should be pushing him to improve to keep his place but that's not going to happen.
  • Have to say I do wonder about our current goalkeeper coach, during match day warm ups he hits more people in the crowd than he does the goal!
  • KM never really rated him anyway as he was "older than Courtois".

come off it , please tell me her opinion means less than nothing on footballing matters !
    I sincerely hope so. Certainly got the impression she would be forthcoming with such opinions. Maybe one of the reasons why we have seen some improvement is that KR ignores this?
  • Henderson was by far the best of our recent keepers .. pity that he was so injury prone .. a good example of a very good keeper regularly bailing out a mediocre, inconsistent defence