Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**New Poll: Have you changed your mind on where we will finish?**

Comments

• Options
    I can't actually imagine how horrible some of your lives are, didn't know it was possible to be so miserable.
  • Options
    Gone from just outside the play-offs to play-offs. A lot to do with Billy Clarke, who I don't remember seeing before.
  • Options
    Said 13th. Adjusted now to 8th.
  • Options
    Too early for me, but there is some serious optimism about which I hope is not misplaced.
  • Options
    Still think we will finish about 8th or 9th.

Can't get the season with Luzon when we signed Makienok etc out my head. We looked immense the start of that year and it all went wrong.

Won't go that wrong but when you have one striker to speak of, I can see a lack of depth biting eventually. Just not to the extent of when we went down to the Champ. The starting 11 is play off standard but they can't play every week
  • Options
    If we're doing this well come January, won't RD sell our best performing players?

Do you think that he will actually take the option of keeping them to secure promotion?

What would he choose: the quick buck or a longer term promotion view? Sadly, I think he'd sell the players and go for the quick buck, and put us back to square one.
  • Options

If we're doing this well come January, won't RD sell our best performing players?

Do you think that he will actually take the option of keeping them to secure promotion?

What would he choose: the quick buck or a longer term promotion view? Sadly, I think he'd sell the players and go for the quick buck, and put us back to square one.

What price will RD get for a L1 team vs the price RD would get for a Championship team?

It's not as if we have any £8m assets like Lookman to sell
  • Options
    Positivity
  • Options
    They've managed to do something pretty difficult which is completely kill my enthusiasm for my club. We have the best starting 11 in the division like we have had on paper for a couple of seasons. Yet no depth and also no confidence that any of these players who are performing will be kept. Sorry to piss on all the fireworks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

They've managed to do something pretty difficult which is completely kill my enthusiasm for my club. We have the best starting 11 in the division like we have had on paper for a couple of seasons. Yet no depth and also no confidence that any of these players who are performing will be kept. Sorry to piss on all the fireworks

With the very notable exception of no cover for Magennis I think we have good cover everywhere else. Certainly for a league one team. Aribo was being touted on here last season and can't get a look in this. We have Reeves and Marshall who were last season two of the better league one players still to feature. A player in Konsa who also can't get a start that some think is worth millions plus several other exciting prospects.

I'll give you centre forward. But the rest is pretty damned good.

• Options
    I've upgraded my 13th to 20th, to a 7th to 12th.
    We've had a really good start, but maybe my judgement is clouded by the fact that the only game I've seen so far was the Plymouth one. We've a great starting XI on form, but I worry about: when injuries and suspensions kick in, the fact that if teams such as Plymouth did and stick to a game plan to stifle us we have no plan B, our defending of set pieces, our lack of height at full back, and no adequate replacement for Josh.
    Still early days though, tonight will be interesting and I'm a bit concerned that with me going to the Gills game I'll jinx us again.
  • Options
    Sadly I think as with all seadons during Roland's ownership, lack of squad depth will cost us.

Mid-table finish.
  • Options

Sadly I think as with all seadons during Roland's ownership, lack of squad depth will cost us.

Mid-table finish.

I posted two posts ago. With the exception of centre forward. Where is the squad unable to cope ? We are a league one team.

• Options

Mid-table finish.

I posted two posts ago. With the exception of centre forward. Where is the squad unable to cope ? We are a league one team.

You are right, on paper we have a decent team. I'm reserving my excitement for the day the circus leaves town though mate.
  • Options

Mid-table finish.

Easy to forget in 11/12 our cover included players like Euell, Doherty and Benson (later swapped for Clarke). A number of regular players never made the step up to the Championship either.

I guess the difference is we could bring in short term loans back then, but then that also applies to every club in the league.
  • Options
    The form of the back end of last season has been replicated. A similar standard "first eleven" has beaten 5 out of 6 teams whose average league position is 18th, of those 2 are in the bottom 3, the highest is currently 11th, the loss was to the side now 20th. From that we can't extrapolate a "real" position for Charlton any higher than 9th or 10th.
    We have only had one match with any key players absent.
    With the absence of much good quality cover in many areas and none at all in a couple, Charlton's results can only be sustained as long as this first eleven remains fit, healthy and suspension free. Two or three absences and Gobbinson's resources become translucent. Add to that his dogmatic adhesion to his "one formation one plan for always no variations ever" and results will be very different, potentially for months at a time. Any significant bad luck with injuries and/or over-zealous referees and roly's infamous impatience will be sorely tested, the mad merrygoround will turn again at thel slightest provocation.
    In the best case scenario between now and christmas, results and form remain similar and Charlton is still in the top four, inevitably the reputation and value of key players will have risen. Revenues and therefore losses this season will be the worst roly has had to suffer, he will need to alleviate this and as a proven football ignoramus will turn to the only marketable club assets - the key players with improving reputations. Two or three sales in January to lighten roly's financial burden, the consequence for the results is inevitable, gobbinson carries the can and the toxic pantomime returns to Act one scene 2.
    In short: if FSG and his 1st XI defy the odds and keep on keeping on - roly will dismantle it in January OR if the tissue thin squad tears under the weight roly will intervene sooner - end result 15th at best next May, more likely 20th.
    Roly never has and never will adequately resource this team for sustained performance at 3rd division level, the best hope for many of us is for more of the better games to be at home.
    In case anyone needs a reminder of just how deluded the regime is and how credulous they think we are: look at the official attendance figure for Saturday (12229) and think how empty (and quiet) the stadium actually was.
  • Options
    If Duchalet is planning on selling all his best playing assets come January then why have they kept and invested in British players in their late 20's and 30's?? Why the complete change in thinking from the regime? I think he is aiming to sell but not players in January but the club in the close-season when we are promoted. He will get more money and in his head will not have failed. That is my thought, one more throw of the dice from him.

• Options
    The septuagenarian douchebag isn't planning anything, he'll just react to some trigger, probably financial. He is also likely to do something daft if/when he gets rattled personally again. He is on record as not having time to pay attention to Charlton, historically he has pulled the trigger without warning. The regime's stated aim (we can't reasonably call it a plan) is to flog off decent youngsters having given them their professional breakthrough. Roly is about making money - 3rd division football is a money pit - the only way to mitigate his losses is to cash in whenever the opportunities arise - with his preposterous "valuation" of the club as a whole the only chance to cash in is to flog off the assets.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

The form of the back end of last season has been replicated. A similar standard "first eleven" has beaten 5 out of 6 teams whose average league position is 18th, of those 2 are in the bottom 3, the highest is currently 11th, the loss was to the side now 20th. From that we can't extrapolate a "real" position for Charlton any higher than 9th or 10th.
    We have only had one match with any key players absent.
    With the absence of much good quality cover in many areas and none at all in a couple, Charlton's results can only be sustained as long as this first eleven remains fit, healthy and suspension free. Two or three absences and Gobbinson's resources become translucent. Add to that his dogmatic adhesion to his "one formation one plan for always no variations ever" and results will be very different, potentially for months at a time. Any significant bad luck with injuries and/or over-zealous referees and roly's infamous impatience will be sorely tested, the mad merrygoround will turn again at thel slightest provocation.
    In the best case scenario between now and christmas, results and form remain similar and Charlton is still in the top four, inevitably the reputation and value of key players will have risen. Revenues and therefore losses this season will be the worst roly has had to suffer, he will need to alleviate this and as a proven football ignoramus will turn to the only marketable club assets - the key players with improving reputations. Two or three sales in January to lighten roly's financial burden, the consequence for the results is inevitable, gobbinson carries the can and the toxic pantomime returns to Act one scene 2.
    In short: if FSG and his 1st XI defy the odds and keep on keeping on - roly will dismantle it in January OR if the tissue thin squad tears under the weight roly will intervene sooner - end result 15th at best next May, more likely 20th.
    Roly never has and never will adequately resource this team for sustained performance at 3rd division level, the best hope for many of us is for more of the better games to be at home.
    In case anyone needs a reminder of just how deluded the regime is and how credulous they think we are: look at the official attendance figure for Saturday (12229) and think how empty (and quiet) the stadium actually was.

The absolute state of this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I said play offs - I thought the first team were as good as anything in the league but worried about our depth in key positions - so I suppose nothing has happened that should cause me to change my prediction.

Robinson has himself said the squad is small so who are we to argue!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I've never changed my view of where we should finish, last year was a massive underachievement but not unexpected. This year the play offs are an absolute minimum / must.

Anything else is a bonus, early days, great start signs are very encouraging however heavy pitches, injuries and suspensions await so keep your feet on the ground folks to avoid disappointment (Charlton fan of nearly sixty years speaking from experience :wink: )
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I predicted we'd be relegated, I've seen nothing to change my mind.
  • Options

I predicted we'd be relegated, I've even nothing to change my mind.

what
  • Options
    Leuth said:

what
    This, please explain.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Redhenry said:

Leuth said:

what
    This, please explain.
    Martin has just had a good liquid lunch :wink: .
  • Options
    It's the hope that kills you.

I thought 7th to 12th because of the Lack of a 25 goal striker.

Will need to have more clean sheets to break the top 2.

3rd to 6th if Holmes, Kashi, Bauer, Pearce and Clarke play 36 games plus.
  • Options
    Will need to have more clean sheets to break the top 2.

I mean by the spring time not in mid September.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

what
    Redhenry said:

Leuth said:

what
    This, please explain.
    RedChaser said:

Redhenry said:

Leuth said:

what
    This, please explain.
    Martin has just had a good liquid lunch :wink: .
    ;)
  • Options
    Originally 13 to 20th but changed to 7th to 12th. Our first 11 are good enough to be contenders. I didn't think we would have goals in the team but clearly we do. I was wrong. However i just don't think we have enough depth to be effective once the injuries come along.