Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums: Rumours vs Bridge Over Troubled Water

Comments

• If this were an 11 v 11 I would probably have to vote Rumours. But, with their equivalent of Messi and Ronaldo (aka the title track and Only Living Boy In New York) I would have to vote BOTW. Plus, in my opinion, S & G are the greatest harmony pairing of all time.
  • When I'm weary, feeling small, when tears are in my eyes........ I'll listen to BOTW. Rumours is great. BOTW is immortal.
  • As an 'album' it would be Rumours, and as a collection of class songs done beautifully and brilliantly it would be BOTW.

If this were an 11 v 11 I would probably have to vote Rumours. But, with their equivalent of Messi and Ronaldo (aka the title track and Only Living Boy In New York) I would have to vote BOTW. Plus, in my opinion, S & G are the greatest harmony pairing of all time.

Better harmony pairing than the Everly Brothers?
    I saw a programme where Art Garfunkel's said something along the lines of they could only dream of being as good as the Everlys.
  • Bridge over troubled water
  • seth plum said:

As an 'album' it would be Rumours, and as a collection of class songs done beautifully and brilliantly it would be BOTW.

If this were an 11 v 11 I would probably have to vote Rumours. But, with their equivalent of Messi and Ronaldo (aka the title track and Only Living Boy In New York) I would have to vote BOTW. Plus, in my opinion, S & G are the greatest harmony pairing of all time.

Better harmony pairing than the Everly Brothers?
    I saw a programme where Art Garfunkel's said something along the lines of they could only dream of being as good as the Everlys.
    S & G were a good pairing, like a couple of nice, sweet voiced choirboys .. the Everlys on the other hand were much more aggressive and 'confident' in their approach .. comes from being family I suppose though in later life they came to loath each other .. as did S & G come to that
  • Rumours. It's more cohesive. There are some beautiful songs on Bridge Over Troubled Water, but Rumours is the better album - and that's the main metric here imo.

Fairly easy choice for me.
  • edited September 2017

Tough one. The boxer is one of my all time favourite songs and everything by S&G is a classic. But Rumours is a terrific album.

I'm on the fence.

Have to concur about The Boxer, classic brilliant song and one of my all time favourites.

Ahhh don't sit on the fence, sit on the bridge.
  • BOTW for me.
  • Very difficult...BOTW was always the album played when my we went back to a house for a carry out...fond memories. When I hear any track from this album I refer back to those times.
    As for Rumours; I saw them FM doing the Rumours tour in Kaiserslautern. It was a brilliant day with Dave Edmunds and Bob Marley and the Wailers supporting the main event. I was stoned out of my tree and near the front when I'm sure Stevie Nicks said she loved me...

So it'd a dilemma for me...A 2-2 draw and BOTW score in the last seconds in injury time but ruled out by a dodgy refs decision.
  • Already voted, just wanted to comment some more, I love some of the less well known tracks on BOTW , Song for the Asking , and So long Frank Lloyd Wright , are both great songs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

Very difficult...BOTW was always the album played when my we went back to a house for a carry out...fond memories. When I hear any track from this album I refer back to those times.
    As for Rumours; I saw them FM doing the Rumours tour in Kaiserslautern. It was a brilliant day with Dave Edmunds and Bob Marley and the Wailers supporting the main event. I was stoned out of my tree and near the front when I'm sure Stevie Nicks said she loved me...

So it'd a dilemma for me...A 2-2 draw and BOTW score in the last seconds in injury time but ruled out by a dodgy refs decision.

Was there a penalty shootout?
  • Solidgone said:

Very difficult...BOTW was always the album played when my we went back to a house for a carry out...fond memories. When I hear any track from this album I refer back to those times.

Was there a penalty shootout?
    I'm afraid it was a league match...it would have been interesting to know the outcome if it was a cup game.
  • BOTW by a country mile for me
  • addickson said:

BOTW by a country mile for me

Don't remember a Dolly Parton duet with Simon and or Garfunkel, would otherwise have to agree.

The chain is at least as good as either of Bridge over troubled water or the boxer for me. Three of my favourite ever tracks (although Cecila is very close maybe controversially)
  • Are we seriously comparing 'anything' that Fleetwood Mac have done to Simon and Garfunkel? Wow!
  • Hahaha, I've just started listening now to bridge over troubled water after it being an album my dad had and I've listened to a few times since then, got to say it's massively over produced bollocks in the main.
  • Are we seriously comparing 'anything' that Fleetwood Mac have done to Simon and Garfunkel? Wow!

Because Rumours is a seriously brilliant album ?
  • New. It it's great to be back home lol
  • One step ahead of the shoeshine, two steps away from the county line...

It's the same old story.

Everywhere I go I get slandered, libelled etc etc, it's the same old story.....
  • I don't really have an opinion but Charlton Aesthetic (RIP) has told me to vote for Rumours so I am doing so
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh no....I'm assuming you mean you aren't together @leuth or she has stopped her illuminating persona rather than she has died. If the latter then that's super shit.

• Oh god no, I just mean she isn't doing the blog! I'll work on it though...
  • Maybe I should have said that her dying wish was for me to get everyone to vote for Rumours in this poll. It might have even gotten as far as the Stone Roses round that way
  • Paul Simon is one of the true great song writers. Mac had more than one very good song writer.

Very tough. Rumours pips it today, tomorrow might be different.
  • Leuth said:

Oh god no, I just mean she isn't doing the blog! I'll work on it though...

Thank goodness. Not that she isn't doing the blog, which was truly brilliant, but anyway you know what I mean.
  • edited September 2017

Hahaha, I've just started listening now to bridge over troubled water after it being an album my dad had and I've listened to a few times since then, got to say it's massively over produced bollocks in the main.

With that fine turn of phrase, you could well be the next Paul Simon - especially as it's very difficult to get this particular image you portray out of one's mind.
  • Easy decision for me, Bridge.

When Pete Green left they became too commercial and lacked that rawness for me.
  • Rumours but only just.
  • BOTW
    Although I hate the title track.