Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come on, Nick Pope!

Comments

• Options
    When he was with us i pointed out his clean sheet stats at York were better than Joe Hart in his time at Shrewsbury..

People laughed.

He really is a very good keeper and loving life at present. Great to see a player taking an opportunity. Burnley fans are saying Heaton is going to have to fight to regain his place.

Outside bet for 3rd choice goalie in Russia. They never play so a great opportunity for someone to gain experience.
  • Options
    You could always tell he had something special, if he bulked up and could overcome his nerves.
    It looks like he achieved both.
  • Options

Outside bet for the England squad in Russia?

Nah he'll be back to the bench when Heaton returna
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

When he was with us i pointed out his clean sheet stats at York were better than Joe Hart in his time at Shrewsbury..

People laughed.

He really is a very good keeper and loving life at present. Great to see a player taking an opportunity. Burnley fans are saying Heaton is going to have to fight to regain his place.

Outside bet for 3rd choice goalie in Russia. They never play so a great opportunity for someone to gain experience.

I think that role will go to Jordan Pickford.

Tom Heaton will have trouble getting back into that team though.

Well done Nick
  • Options
    I know he's only on loan, but England have a big problem at left-mid if a Nigel is getting in the team!!! :wink:
  • Options
    If there's one position we have some strength in depth at a national level it's keepers. Shame we keep playing Hart mind.

Can't see him making the trip but the lads on an excellent run of form and clearly capable of playing at that level, which I'll confess I thought he might struggle with. Well done to him for taking his chance so competently.
  • Options
    I thought NP was outstanding on the motd highlights last night, shows you what you can do in a good environment, he wasn’t in a good environment at Charlton.

Hope he continues to do well, I know he fumbled a few shots whilst he was here, but I couldn’t remember a Charlton keeper that came out and claimed crosses so easily.
  • Options

I thought NP was outstanding on the motd highlights last night, shows you what you can do in a good environment, he wasn’t in a good environment at Charlton.

Hope he continues to do well, I know he fumbled a few shots whilst he was here, but I couldn’t remember a Charlton keeper that came out and claimed crosses so easily.

This. Me and my son labelled him sticky hands because he claimed so many crosses. His biggest problem for me was shots bouncing just in front of him.
  • Options
    1989cafc said:

This. Me and my son labelled him sticky hands because he claimed so many crosses. His biggest problem for me was shots bouncing just in front of him.
    He did have a habit of spilling shots and that was the main fault with his game - I'm assuming he's worked on that. I think his confidence went at Charlton as he did get a fair amount of stick.

I wish him well and hope he stays at the highest level.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Well done Nicky P...seems he has worked on the problem with the ball coming at him fast then bouncing away...confidence worked on too along with physique...deserves all the plaudits,great kid,yep & who knows in the future could be Pope behind Gomez with Lookman up top in the England set up...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the BBC website today:

Rarely has there been such competition for the England goalkeeper's jersey, with Joe Hart's indifferent form over the past 18 months prompting calls for the likes of Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Fraser Forster or Tom Heaton to be selected by manager Gareth Southgate.

But with Burnley's Heaton injured, it is his replacement, Nick Pope, who has emerged as the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season, according to the stats.

While expected goals primarily focuses on attacking play - identifying the quality of every chance created - it can also tell us about how keepers are performing.

Based on the quality of chances he has faced, 25-year-old Pope ought to have conceded 10.9 goals this season - but has only let in five. That gives him an xG prevented total of 5.9 - the best in the division.

Remind me, how much did we get for him? Was it 12 million or 15 million?
  • Options

From the BBC website today:

Rarely has there been such competition for the England goalkeeper's jersey, with Joe Hart's indifferent form over the past 18 months prompting calls for the likes of Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Fraser Forster or Tom Heaton to be selected by manager Gareth Southgate.

But with Burnley's Heaton injured, it is his replacement, Nick Pope, who has emerged as the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season, according to the stats.

While expected goals primarily focuses on attacking play - identifying the quality of every chance created - it can also tell us about how keepers are performing.

Based on the quality of chances he has faced, 25-year-old Pope ought to have conceded 10.9 goals this season - but has only let in five. That gives him an xG prevented total of 5.9 - the best in the division.

Remind me, how much did we get for him? Was it 12 million or 15 million?

Plenty of people wanted rid of him and £800k was largely seen as decent at the time.

I thought then and still do that was a shit deal. They trebled his wages though so it was inevitable
  • Options
    Only one keeper has more clean sheets this season than Nick Pope....

David de Gea.
  • Options
    Still dont see him getting an England call up
  • Options
    Good interview with him below... Is it me or am I reading into his comments about last season too much? - I "probably" would have been playing League One.

Erm even with Stephen Henderson going to Nottingham Forest why wasnt Pope a certainty for the No.1 jersey?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/24/exclusive-interview-burnley-goalkeeper-nick-pope-went-outcast/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic - well done Nick !
  • Options
    After Burnley played a 39 year old Paul Robinson, instead of Nick Pope last season, I thought he would never get a chance and would become the new Stuart Taylor.
  • Options

Ignore all his clean sheets in the Prem.

He made a couple of mistakes when he first played for us and that's what he must be judged on forever.

No that's Phillips for me. :wink:
  • Options

800k for Pope and 3m for Gomez - what a pile of shit business.

I think that's being wise in hindsight

Most people here were quite surprised when Burnley went for him, it's not as if other clubs were queuing up to buy him, or at the time we thought the fee was too low

Pope does have talent, but a lot is down to the coaching he's had at Burnley. And let's face it, Burnley are a defensive team, who defend as a unit. They've scored 16 goals in 17 games, which is an incredibly low total for a team with 9 wins.
  • Options
    Is Heaton still injured?

As Dick says, we gave him and Gomez away.
    Imagine the side we could have had in the Champs now...
    Pope, Solly,Gomez,Bauer,Da Silva
    Gudmonndson,Stephens,Cousins,Kashi
    Lookman,Kermy

Subs, Konsa, Dijksteel

That's a side that would have been up there.

Well done Roland, yet you just don't care.
  • Options

Is Heaton still injured?

As Dick says, we gave him and Gomez away.
    Imagine the side we could have had in the Champs now...
    Pope, Solly,Gomez,Bauer,Da Silva
    Gudmonndson,Stephens,Cousins,Kashi
    Lookman,Kermy

Subs, Konsa, Dijksteel

That's a side that would have been up there.

Well done Roland, yet you just don't care.

I doubt we'd have been anywhere near there with only 2 subs....
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    None of the team would have cost *him* a penny in transfer fees.Maybe aside from Kashi and Bauer?