Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beckham for England?

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
so after last nights and saturdays shambles does this lead us to believe that maybe Becks should at very least be in the squad?

Personally I think saying that he isn't one of the best 23 english players stillis a joke , I'm all for bringing some of the youth through but you also need the old heads in there to give them help , making that step up .

Comments

• Options
    Surely (possibly arguably) the best deliverer of a dead ball in the country should be in the squad.

I could see the reason for dropping him to help Terry settle as captain- that's done now- bring him back
  • Options
    i'm in two minds.

the main question to ask would be, if Beckham was playing last night, would we have performed any better ?

I didn't see the game, but i suspect the answer would be no.
  • Options
    I still believe Beckham should at least be in the squad, however he'd have made no difference last night.....the formation was totally wrong and they looked lost, I for one am glad that Bent didn't come on for 20 mins in that shambles as he'd never have got a touch and then probably would've taken most of the blame for it !!
  • Options
    No we wouldn't we'd have constantly looked for a pressure ball - diagnal over the top to watch lanky pete lollup after it only giving the ball away. Crouch and Rooney cannot play together, i thought we had teh slowest team out against Macedonia but Mclaren found a slower one...

What happened to pace being the key to unlocking defences? As for switching to 442 when 2-0 down, horse has bolted 40 minues earlier why not throw on another striker protecting our 2-0 loss?!

It was laughable
  • Options
    Seeing the game and watching the highlights later I can't see how the inclusion of Beckham would have turned that result around from a defeat into anything credible. England lacked any meaningful conviction or passion but this shouldn't be about England, Croatia deserved the win. They were first to the ball, won more than their share of 50-50 balls and in defence prevented England from getting one decent (from what I remember) shot on goal.

Some other thoughts...Robinson had a good game in goal, until the OG (Gary Neville finally scores in an international!), but looks dodgy on crosses, Ferdinand didn't have a brilliant game but otherwise the back four played ok.

Lampard must surely have played his last game for England.Gerrard, Hargreavesand Parker should be given a few matches in the centre of midfield, lets give that a try and see if they gel as a unit.

Upfront playing Rooney and Crouch together doesn't work, the former needs space to run into while the latter though he tries hard just doesn't have the game against the better sides, he has to create the space for Rooney but he doesn't.

Overall switching from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 at short notice, away from home and against quality opposition did not succeed and will only work if the players and management are confident that they can make it work, the players last night weren't sure and didn't seem to believe in the tactic. Watching the game last night made me recall an away defeat to Norway in the illustrious reign of Graham Taylor, at short notice he too switched from 4-4-2 to a similar style in a midweek international away from home and that had the same consequences, we lost.