Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Already has three yellows which is a worry. Hope Reeves or Marshall are fit soon.

Given the energy he puts in for the team it wouldn't be a disaster to lose Holmes for a game. In the past we've only had one or two match winners and had to play them until they burnt out. Hopefully we can manage the squad (especially our attacking midfielders) better this season.
    Be a lot better to lose him when we have cover fit though as all 3 attacking midfielders not currently starting are out. Can't start Dodoo on the wing as leaves us no option off the bench at all.

Good team and unlucky with injuries, but squad could have benefitted from 1 more attacking player.
    I don't agree, I think we do have cover. Put Konsa as defence midfield and move Foster caskey forward. We also have Aribo, Fairchild, Areheme Grant who have played already to name just three.
    Konsa is a defender in my opinion, can cover for Kashi but wouldn't want him in the JFC position.

I did say about 'losing Holmes' when we had cover as Aherne-Grant is currently out. Meaning 3 of the 6 attacking midfielders are out. I guess Aribo could cover there.

Definitely a striker short, RHF should be playing for the U23's. Don't think he's ready, he's played to make up the numbers.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

If there were 5,000 people in the Covered End yesterday, or even 6,000 with the quads (very high end) there would have to be pushing 5,000 in the east and west to make up the official attendance.

In practice there were probably about 1,000 in the east and maybe twice that in the west. I don't think the idea season ticket holders are turning up in unprecedented numbers is supported by the visible evidence.

This isn't just about form - STs have never got much above 85 per cent turnout except when we had 20,000 capacity in the Prem or played the biggest teams.

The increased concentration of the crowd behind the goal is certainly likely to aid the atmosphere, but I very much doubt if the home support was much more than 9,500 in total.

A reasonable assessment and means the actual home fan attendance has arguably doubled from the back end of last season, when in reality we only had about 5,000.
    It wasn't anything like that low - the useful comparison is with weekend games, which at the end of the season were Southend, Gillingham and Swindon. But even the midweeks were much more than 5,000. Scunthorpe in early March was about 6,000.

I would agree there has been an increase on the end of last season but given the team's situation then and now it would be amazing if there wasn't.

The August and mid-September games in 2016 showed official home attendance on Saturdays at just above the 10k mark. I would say it's possibly increased by 500 this season, but the east and west stands are very empty and historical numbers sugggest you won't see anything substantial change before the spring.

Football for a Fiver (if any) or mass dumping of comps apart, I don't see a big home turnout happening until Portsmouth on Dec 9th and Gillingham on New Year's Day - even if we're top.

It's League One, which means the opposition are a drag on the ticket most weeks.
  • Options
    Amos: shaky and unpredictable on crosses
    Solly: largely untroubled, provider of the sole decent cross and bundled over the lumpen felon repeatedly with ease
    DaSilva: so far superior to so many at this level even his tiny size is no handicap, can we hang on to him past January?
    Bauer: didn't really notice him, which is usually a good sign for a CH
    Pearce: see Bauer
    Kashi: couple of complacent blunders early on and not as energetic as first couple of games but he's still a class above his current surroundings
    Holmes: effervescent, industrious and greedy as always with the same litany of awful corners, goal well deserved
    Forster-Caskey: apart from the utterly dreadful corners hardly noticed him at all, which is a bad thing for a midfielder, he really needs to buckle down and put in proper shifts or he'll waste his abilities and his is one of very few positions where there could be competition for his place - Oi JFC wake up and dig in!
    Clarke: steadily increasing his contribution, rarely wastes a ball, quietly one of our better players
    Fosu-Henry: effervescent, industrious and error prone as always, his inexperience still clear for all to see, some of his decision making is shocking and his first touch is just the worst, neither of which seems to get him down, I like him
    Magennis: Tireless, selfless, strong and decent when the chances eventually come, suffered from dismal service but still stood out.
    Dodoo: One poor decision shortly after coming on would have been forgivable for sure had he then got his head down and got stuck in for the team but the steam went out of him right away and he slouched about in a huff.
  • Options
    Almost nailed it this time Stig my old pal, but wait, buried deep in the post, there it is, the cuckoo moment: "[Fosu-Henry's] first touch is just the worst". Are you...real?
  • Options
    I would say his first touch is the best in the team - what let him down a bit of Saturday was his decision making.
  • Options
    Fuck me we won it doesn't matter how many were there to see it

Support for the club has been dropping for years pre two shit chalets

It will go up and down based on what league we are in

We know people are staying away because of the shits running the club

But by no means is it anywhere near the amount that's noticeable

People aren't coming because the football was shit and we are in the third division again
  • Options

Amos: shaky and unpredictable on crosses
    Solly: largely untroubled, provider of the sole decent cross and bundled over the lumpen felon repeatedly with ease
    DaSilva: so far superior to so many at this level even his tiny size is no handicap, can we hang on to him past January?
    Bauer: didn't really notice him, which is usually a good sign for a CH
    Pearce: see Bauer
    Kashi: couple of complacent blunders early on and not as energetic as first couple of games but he's still a class above his current surroundings
    Holmes: effervescent, industrious and greedy as always with the same litany of awful corners, goal well deserved
    Forster-Caskey: apart from the utterly dreadful corners hardly noticed him at all, which is a bad thing for a midfielder, he really needs to buckle down and put in proper shifts or he'll waste his abilities and his is one of very few positions where there could be competition for his place - Oi JFC wake up and dig in!
    Clarke: steadily increasing his contribution, rarely wastes a ball, quietly one of our better players
    Fosu-Henry: effervescent, industrious and error prone as always, his inexperience still clear for all to see, some of his decision making is shocking and his first touch is just the worst, neither of which seems to get him down, I like him
    Magennis: Tireless, selfless, strong and decent when the chances eventually come, suffered from dismal service but still stood out.
    Dodoo: One poor decision shortly after coming on would have been forgivable for sure had he then got his head down and got stuck in for the team but the steam went out of him right away and he slouched about in a huff.

An effervescent post from StigThundercock; I like it, even though my impressions of some of the players are rather different. Agree that DaSilva generally plays well, but he did get skinned more than once in the first half. Pearce, I thought, was a commanding presence, sprinting to slide in for precise, last-ditch tackles in the box.

Agree about Clarke, who hardly made a misjudged pass - and about some of our corners and crosses, which go awry. Fosu's close skills were admirable, yet he made a howlingly bad choice in the second half, shooting (wide) when Clarke was just to his right and running in space. Dodoo's first touch was shocking; needs to sharpen up quickly.

• Options
    Dodoo wasn't on long enough to form too much of an opinion though.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

If there were 5,000 people in the Covered End yesterday, or even 6,000 with the quads (very high end) there would have to be pushing 5,000 in the east and west to make up the official attendance.

In practice there were probably about 1,000 in the east and maybe twice that in the west. I don't think the idea season ticket holders are turning up in unprecedented numbers is supported by the visible evidence.

This isn't just about form - STs have never got much above 85 per cent turnout except when we had 20,000 capacity in the Prem or played the biggest teams.

The increased concentration of the crowd behind the goal is certainly likely to aid the atmosphere, but I very much doubt if the home support was much more than 9,500 in total.

A reasonable assessment and means the actual home fan attendance has arguably doubled from the back end of last season, when in reality we only had about 5,000.
    It wasn't anything like that low - the useful comparison is with weekend games, which at the end of the season were Southend, Gillingham and Swindon. But even the midweeks were much more than 5,000. Scunthorpe in early March was about 6,000.

I would agree there has been an increase on the end of last season but given the team's situation then and now it would be amazing if there wasn't.

The August and mid-September games in 2016 showed official home attendance on Saturdays at just above the 10k mark. I would say it's possibly increased by 500 this season, but the east and west stands are very empty and historical numbers sugggest you won't see anything substantial change before the spring.

Football for a Fiver (if any) or mass dumping of comps apart, I don't see a big home turnout happening until Portsmouth on Dec 9th and Gillingham on New Year's Day - even if we're top.

It's League One, which means the opposition are a drag on the ticket most weeks.
    How come this was said on the Scunthorpe match thread then ?

Scunthorpe March 2017 "VOTV understands police figures show that there were fewer than 5,500 #cafc fans at The Valley on Tuesday"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Airman ?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Airman ?

Subsequently I was told that the police figure didn't include the adjustment made to allow for hospitality, directors box etc not admitted by turnstiles - hence in the Voice itself I adjusted it to 6,000.

Comparing midweeks in March with Saturdays in September is still meaningless. Should we conclude there was a big drop in support between Saturday and Tuesday because the crowd was smaller last night than at the weekend?