Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Comments

• If you were upset with how he was running the club, but see he's totally changed how the club is run in line with your expectations, what message are you sending out by continuing to stay away?

I must have missed that.
  • satsuma27 said:

What a great little player Chris Solly is.Year after year he constantly performs to a high standard,he rarely has a bad game.Today I thought he was excellent,busy and productive and what a peach of a cross to Big Josh who couldn't miss.

Regards

C.Solly.

Still the best crosser of a ball within the club - perhaps he could give lessons to Ricky Holmes in return fro lessons on shooting?
  • Crazy game but entertaing...as usual we made a meal out of nothing...they were just a hoof ball outfit and it was a good job we were up when their goal happened.....slicker teams will unlock us.

I didn't see too much hoof ball and slick isn't really a term most would use in the third tier of English football.
    But I suppose we all see different things and have different opinions.
    I thought Southend started out with hoofball which, as @redlanered said to me at the time, could be a way to play against us as it bypasses our rather good midfield, but then played much more on the deck.
    Thanks... What i said, good to see someone else actually watched the game.
    Fucking shame you can't read then. I didn't see too much hoof ball Is what I wrote.
    Have a day off Chippster and let others enjoy the moment.
    Who said i was talking about you... Calm down you big girls blouse and mind your appalling language. And ditto re enjoy the moment if you dont agree with what i say dont comment on it. After all i dont agrree with anything you ever say but dont need to comment everytime.
  • I think those who are staying away from The Valley as a protest against Roland are rather undermining their cause.

Roland has an English manager in who appears to be targeting players he knows and likes. He's put together a competitive side who are, at times, tearing teams apart.

If you were upset with how he was running the club, but see he's totally changed how the club is run in line with your expectations, what message are you sending out by continuing to stay away?

"Mess up at your own financial expense and we'll never forgive you"

Quite happy with my decision, was never about results for me.
  • DOUCHER said:

really like clarke - very quick brain and feet - think marshall and reeves will replace caskey and fosu and when they do we will absolutely destroy teams - b very surprised if we don't go up this year

Reeves will have to go some to replace Forster-Caskey IMHO
    Reeves is a number 10 JFC is playing DM
  • edited September 2017

I think those who are staying away from The Valley as a protest against Roland are rather undermining their cause.

Roland has an English manager in who appears to be targeting players he knows and likes. He's put together a competitive side who are, at times, tearing teams apart.

If you were upset with how he was running the club, but see he's totally changed how the club is run in line with your expectations, what message are you sending out by continuing to stay away?

I'm sure Roland imagines he can take the cost of his mistakes back by selling players or from the next owner, either of which will be to the detriment of the club. Very unlikely he intends it to be at his expense.

In any event, he believes he hasn't made any mistakes - that was all other people.
  • cafcfan said:

I think those who are staying away from The Valley as a protest against Roland are rather undermining their cause.

My cause it is not undermined. Now that's partially because I'm no longer sure how I'd even describe "my cause" or indeed whether there is one.

Yes, of course, it seems like the football is better. But that's not the be all and end all of a football club and how it fits in with its community. The club's only executive director likes to call us "customers", well I now like to call the club a business. As a business, it's not one I want to contract with for vast numbers of reasons. The list of how this so-called commercial enterprise has disrespected its consumer base is huge and in many respects beyond belief.

Even some vile, utterly obnoxious companies would, sensibly, draw the line at getting security to beat up its customers or describe them in vulgar derogatory terms. The club's actions place it on the same rung of the business ladder as loan sharks, drug dealers and pimps. The two Belgians are utterly untrustworthy and deserving of only contempt.
    I want the Belgians gone but your post is utterly and completely over the top.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017

Except the 'change' in the teams fortune is in no part attributable to RD - he has even admitted it himself that he doesnt know why the team is now playing 'well'.
  • Small question.....when we only have one proven striker and a key game Tuesday night, why did Sir Gobby leave Josh on playing left half when Dodoo was thrown on?

He was clearly knackered.

Because he doesn't trust or rate Dodoo & we have feck all else options !!
  • Not been yet this season but delighted with yet another win. What Danny Murphy said about our stay away fans "it's all about results," is probably right for the vast majority. But there are still many principled Addicks who will not return until Duchatelet departs.
  • Oh I bloody forgot Clarke!

He's great. He gets everywhere and has a brilliant touch. Yesterday, I was constantly thinking, "why did the Bradford fans think he was so shite?". I can see him becoming a firm fans favourite.
  • Small question.....when we only have one proven striker and a key game Tuesday night, why did Sir Gobby leave Josh on playing left half when Dodoo was thrown on?

Josh plays that position or has done with Northern Ireland.

Probably because we needed his height, both as an outlet upfront and defending corners. Holmes was on a booking so made sense to me.
    Robinson has said that Holmes was ill and that's why he took him off.
    Personally would have kept Josh on up front because defending a 1 goal lead late on you need a forward to hold the ball up and relieve a bit of pressure. Doodoo didn't hold the ball up at all. Should have replaced Holmes with Konsa in my view to become tighter and more defensive.
    Resting Josh will be hard when he's our only decent forward, something that was blindingly obvious when we failed to get in an adequate replacement. Just hope he stays fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a match thread. Grateful if you could keep the subject matter on this thread to that please

Whoops hadn't read this when I posted the above. Sorry boss.
  • edited September 2017
    First game since Fleetwood. Back in UK for mothers funeral.Thought it was a good performance. Impressed with Clarke and Holmes. Dasilva is a great little player as well. Shame about crowd but understand people's viewpoint about owners
  • Redhenry said:

DOUCHER said:

really like clarke - very quick brain and feet - think marshall and reeves will replace caskey and fosu and when they do we will absolutely destroy teams - b very surprised if we don't go up this year

Ok so he will be competing with Clarke then. He won't get a look in currently.
  • Redhenry said:

DOUCHER said:

Ok so he will be competing with Clarke then. He won't get a look in currently.
    Can play off the right. He played there a fair bit at MK. So could well come in for Fosu when he's fit. Of course Marshall will probably take that place when he's fit but expect that to take longer.

In our formation the 3 interchange a lot and we don't really okay wingers they are more like inside forwards so think Reeves will be good there. Competition for those places is good.
  • This is a match thread. Grateful if you could keep the subject matter on this thread to that please

Sorry based on yesterday's performance
    We are going up say we are going up
  • edited September 2017

Small question.....when we only have one proven striker and a key game Tuesday night, why did Sir Gobby leave Josh on playing left half when Dodoo was thrown on?

I think if we'd held the lead another five minutes or so he would have come off. But at 2-1 we needed his work rate and his height both in defending set pieces and as an option to go long because Southend were pressing.

On the Dodoo thing, his touch hasn't looked great, I agree, but he also looks rusty and like he's still learning our system. He's been with us for a week, and I don't think he played much of a role in preseason, so we need to give him time to settle, to get fit and match sharp, and to learn the system.

We're also spoiled by the fact that we have a lot of really technically gifted players for this level. Kashi, JFC, Clarke, Holmes, and Fosu can all zip it around, absolutely ping balls at each other and know the ball will be controlled. I also think Josh has a better touch than he's give credit for. Last year especially, given he was often isolated or just had it lumped up to him, he didn't look great technically. I think this season he's looked much better because of the football we play. It's noticeable with him that when the ball goes forward it oftentimes sticks.
  • Crazy game but entertaing...as usual we made a meal out of nothing...they were just a hoof ball outfit and it was a good job we were up when their goal happened.....slicker teams will unlock us.

I didn't see too much hoof ball and slick isn't really a term most would use in the third tier of English football.
    But I suppose we all see different things and have different opinions.
    I thought Southend started out with hoofball which, as @redlanered said to me at the time, could be a way to play against us as it bypasses our rather good midfield, but then played much more on the deck.
    Thanks... What i said, good to see someone else actually watched the game.
    Fucking shame you can't read then. I didn't see too much hoof ball Is what I wrote.
    Have a day off Chippster and let others enjoy the moment.
    Who said i was talking about you... Calm down you big girls blouse and mind your appalling language. And ditto re enjoy the moment if you dont agree with what i say dont comment on it. After all i dont agrree with anything you ever say but dont need to comment everytime.
    Oooooooooo
    1-0

Again, that's worked well, hasn't it?

Even the mods can't stop the constant bickering...