Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Comments

• Talal said:

Talal said:

As good as Pearce played, was anyone else going mad when he tried to burst out of defence and make a run forward with just minutes to go?!

No, I think he's just well aware that at this level no team has the technical ability to sit back and defend a lead. Every time we tried it this season (including yesterday) we got into troubles... My only wish is that he'd share this knowledge with our animated manager...
    It wasn't about sitting back and defending a lead, there was just no need for him to burst forward. Pass to a teammate and stay in position, the game was almost done.
    Fair enough point, but I like his fearless attitude. They left space, he saw it, and went for it. He probably knew better than anyone else where he preferred the game to be played.
    After all, broken passes between team mates is what caused those dangerous crosses into our box during the last 10 minutes...
    But, this time we won, so cheers...
  • Addickted said:

First game of the season for me and possibly the last for some time.

First of all it was great to be back - boy to I miss my fortnightly visits to The Valley.

As far as the game goes, was impressed in the way Brown set up his side in an attempt to spoil our game but his long ball tactic of hoofing it up to Ranger (who I expected a lot more from) didn't work as both Bauer and Pearce had him in their pockets the whole game. They've got two or three really neat hardworking players and should do relatively well this season. Rumours are that Josh Wright is heading their way as well.

All that said, we were by far the better side and when we got our quick, slick passing game working, not many teams in this League will be able to handle it. It was a pleasure to watch, especially with such confidence and composure on the ball. Neither Reeves or Marshall are going to be guaranteed a starting berth when they're back to fitness.

Of the 'new boys' I was really impressed with Fosu, who works really well with Solly and along with Clarke, caused Southend all sorts of problems down our right flank. Clarke also impressed with his work rate, speed and quality of pass and his ability to bring others into the game. Certainly the 'number 10' we've been missing for sometime. Kashi was superb in the holding roll and was unlucky not to score with his first half shot

Solly had the best game I've seen from him recently and the cross for the goal was perfect. Pearce was immense yesterday and again the best I've seen him play. Da Silva is very dangerous going forward but left us exposed a couple of times when he did so. He also got caught out of position twice in about 30 seconds in the first half, which I'm sure is just down to lack of experience.

Both Bauer and Magennis were good today, without excelling and I thought JFC had a fairly quiet and anonymous game.

My only slight grumbles, were that I actually thought Holmes had one of his poorer games that I've seen. His crossing was awful and their right back at one stage caused him to move over to the right hand side - then he goes and scores another wonder goal that we all know he's capable of - still, what do I know.

Amos, hmm. Had very little to do, but what he did do, was less than impressive and to be honest, reminded me a bit of Thuram, with his punching and lack of command in his box. I like my goalkeepers to have complete control of their box, big, loud, confident and wiping out everyone who gets in their way to collecting the ball. However, judging him on one game is unfair.

Without a doubt we are going to do well this season (comparatively), with some class players still to come in.

Fantastic day out with Addickted Junior and good to see some mates again.

The Oak may have had the last of our custom as they no longer do draught ale and provided possibly the worst pint of 'IPA' I've ever had.

And I've had a few.

Good to see you puffing and wheezing up Charlton Lane up Charlton Lane after the game, made me feel almost fit and healthly : - )

Agree with you on Dasilva, got done by Bonovoto (Spelling) a couple of times but he stuck with it.

See you back at the Valley soon
  • 1st game of season for me Tuesday and am looking forward to it. Particularly looking forward to watching Billy Clark, mates I know who have seen him this season rave about it so all being well him and the team have a good evening and likewise us mob on this forum despite some of the whinging and bitching that goes on - Up the Addicks.
  • i dont see anything in doodoo other than pace

He's no Reeco but give him a chance.
    Like I said after Oldham

If Played on the shoulder of the last defender he will cause them loads of issues as I doubt there is a defender in the league that could catch him

It's not changed

However as you saw today , when we need to retain the ball and he has his back to goal it doesn't stick , he doesn't jump well and his forward movement unless in a straight line is not good

Time will tell but I reckon I am right
    Completely agree, he doesn't seem to have a touch either. I counted 4 times he touched the ball and it either went straight to a Southend player or his second touch was to actually regain control of the ball. It wasn't a great showing to be honest, he could've done a lot better. I am willing to give him time, but I am also convinced there is better out there we could get in January.

On yesterday's game I thought Pearce and Solly were excellent, with the former making some crucial tackles and blocks. Solly's cross was class and we would've created a lot more if we had used him more often, too much did he make the overlap and not be used.

Holmes and Magennis part from their goals were brilliant again. Really think they're going to score loads this season.

Amos was shaky and he might be tall but sometimes he is glued to his goal-line where he really should just be coming out and commanding a bit more. He will improve I think.

Overall, didn't play as well as we have done but we won against a team which will be pushing for top 6 this season and that's always a good thing.

Hope that Solly and Kashi can play on Tuesday, and that we play well, it's going to be interesting but I think we got it in us to really do well these next two games. A win on Tuesday will bode well for the season and put us in a great position for this time next week.
  • clb74 said:

Great game, great goals. Good atmosphere. Nothing to add to comments above.

The attendance should make those who think people will soon come back in numbers wake up and smell the coffee though. There were under 11,000 home supporters for a sixth straight home win. How many Tuesday night? Will the gate even make five figures? It may be a stretch if Wigan bring about 300.

Yes Airman it does look like there are numbers in the 1000s who are prepared to stay away while the Belgians are in charge.
    They said they are staying away and they are.
    Huge respect to them, someone said earlier in the week it's probably only a few hundred
    Nahhhh. Most of them aren't there because of the division and lack of success. Guarantee you that if Roland took Charlton to the prem those seats wouldn't be empty.
    So when's the next anti Regime protests due?

• Sponsored links:

• The protests are not half as embarrassing as the tragic spectacle of those poor under nourished children being paraded about in front of the east stand, waving flags for no particular reason.

Hopefully one of them will have the courage to phone a child abuse helpline before the weather gets much colder.

Gee this goes well with Cole Porter and Margarita. ...
  • Regarding Da Silva I think he is left exposed as there isn't any cover in front of him and this needs to be sorted.
  • Small question.....when we only have one proven striker and a key game Tuesday night, why did Sir Gobby leave Josh on playing left half when Dodoo was thrown on?

He was clearly knackered.

Height in the box to defend set pieces.

• Sponsored links:

• Small question.....when we only have one proven striker and a key game Tuesday night, why did Sir Gobby leave Josh on playing left half when Dodoo was thrown on?

He was clearly knackered.

Probably because we needed his height, both as an outlet upfront and defending corners. Holmes was on a booking so made sense to me.
    Holmes seemed to be stretching his calf? muscles at one point too

I guess the other option would be to bring on Sarr
  • My first appearance at The Valley this season.

Ricky Holmes must be in the form of his life! Southend just couldn't get the ball off him whenever he received it. He beat his man and got a cross in again and again. Then there was another exquisite goal to add to the collection, which is growing weekly in both quality and quantity. It's a privilege to watch him!

Same applies to Josh too. Terrific header for his goal.

Very impressed with Billy Clarke. Such a clever player. I read that some Bradford fans were glad to be rid of him. Are they crazy!? Reminds me of Graham Moore - same blond hair, same number 10 shirt and even plays like him too.

I got the impression that Kashi was a little below his normal standard today, even though he still looked good.

All in all everyone had a good game against a capable Southend side, with only perhaps Fosu just a bit below par. Dodoo didn't impress when he came on but it's unfair to judge on such a short appearance.

I got the impression that this side is capable of better and I'd be astonished if we don't make the play offs as a minimum.
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

The attendance should make those who think people will soon come back in numbers wake up and smell the coffee though. There were under 11,000 home supporters for a sixth straight home win. How many Tuesday night? Will the gate even make five figures? It may be a stretch if Wigan bring about 300.

Yes Airman it does look like there are numbers in the 1000s who are prepared to stay away while the Belgians are in charge.
    Huge respect to them, someone said earlier in the week it's probably only a few hundred
    Nahhhh. Most of them aren't there because of the division and lack of success. Guarantee you that if Roland took Charlton to the prem those seats wouldn't be empty.
    You really don't know what you are talking about. If Roland takes Charlton to the Premier League it will be because he has totally changed the way that he runs the club and of course the crowds would return.
    I don't see any sign that Roland has changed. So we've won a few games and people are saying that the football is good. Let's see what happens in the January transfer window (previous seasons haven't been good) and see where we are at the end of the season. He needs to get us back to the division that we were in when he bought us before anyone can think of the Prem. I think too many people are getting carried away by a tiny bit of success after three and a half years of dross.
    I have as much an idea of what I'm talking about as you do, thanks very much.

My post was in response to comments suggesting that because our attendance wasn't back to huge numbers after a good start to the season, that it proves people are boycotting the team still.

I was not saying Roland WILL take us to the prem. I was saying if he did then there would be very few consciencious objectors "fighting the good fight" by not going to the game.

So I'm sure the matchday attendance yesterday is slightly lower because some people are doing that, of course.

I'm equally sure others are staying away because of the many seasons of failure. The longer outside the prem the more will drop off.

I also know for a fact some are staying away because of the toxic atmosphere protestors were bringing to the match day.

And for those that click LOL on my posts like smart arses, you can go f*** yourselves with your pompous attitudes, as if your view on the club is much smarter than mine.
    Spoke to someone at Rotherham away and he was saying he didn't bother with home games last season due to atmosphere and was embarrassed by some of the protests
    The atmosphere was dreadful because of the football and the very few protests that took place last season would not have happened if the squad had been completed in pre-season instead of left stupidly short in midfield, whether or not Slade was up to the job.

The main characteristic of matches at The Valley last season was a flat atmosphere with no energy from the crowd and that had bugger all to do with protests.
    I agree, I believe the protests were justified. The club were being run shockingly and fans have the right to voice their opinion. That being said, protests aren't for everyone.

I hope the attendances pick up, the team are getting results and doing it stylishly, they deserve support. No need for any anger towards the ownership either at the minute, they haven't done anything wrong for some time.
  • seth plum said:

PWR.

It is worth starting by talking about Southend.

They were well supported and that deserves a mention, although they sang that our support was poor, but is really wasn't...fans were engaged enthusiastically and reactive from all areas of the Valley. However Southend have been injury hit, and players were getting back into it, and were basically not a settled side. However they have a canny manager, and enough individual players to give us something to think about, they were competitive and the late goal gave us a problem.

I say all this about Southend because yet again, faced with a series of different challenges today we were still too good for them. We were unplayable at times, and as a team we were going to find a way through one way or another, so despite a very respectable display by the opposition, Charlton were always going to be able to dig enough out to prevail.

Southend had done their homework, knew what we had to offer, and tried to make things difficult for us and to nullify us. In the first half an hour, or even the first half altogether they were able to keep Holmes quiet and have a relatively tight rein on big Josh, but it is an example of what I mean when I say that both of those players scored because they were prepared to overcome early difficulties and show to the Southend players that they were proper footballers and especially winners.

A great entertaining game overall actually, enterprise all over the pitch where every player was able to make a contribution to the result, nobody got a win bonus today on the back of the effort of anybody else.

The goal we let in was criminal mind you, a free header quite low down from a corner, but overall Amos was decent, even having to deal with some pressure moments caused by ourselves. Pearce v Ranger was a great battle, Bauer stepped up towards the end of the game when we had points to protect, I thought da Silva was once again excellent (he can pick a pass) and Solly put the first goal on a plate for Magennis. A goal that was at a 'good height' for their keeper, but so powerful it was a lovely old fashioned fans favourite header, reminded me of a few scored by Ron Saunders for us back in the day.

Holmes goal was because he is supreme at this level, for such a hurry scurry player, so twisty and turny, and so tricksy, his finish was ice cold slide rule stuff, look on his works ye mighty of this division...and despair.

Kashi, Clarke and JFC are a central midfield of such quality they define the teamwork of the side. if not one...then the other.

I thought Clarke would be inconsistent, so far he is not, I thought JFC would be a diva, he is one of the most willing players we have to help out others, and Kashi is Kashi, plays like the hinge of the team, dictating this way and that. Fosu was quieter that usual, but he occupied the Southend players well, and played the perfect ball to Solly to set up the goal.

And we had a big Dodoo too.

Great three points, rub on the liniment and re assemble on Tuesday.

I like this but I would dispute Amos being decent. His decision making and basic technique on crosses is very poor and nearly cost us twice yesterday
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

You really don't know what you are talking about. If Roland takes Charlton to the Premier League it will be because he has totally changed the way that he runs the club and of course the crowds would return.
    I don't see any sign that Roland has changed. So we've won a few games and people are saying that the football is good. Let's see what happens in the January transfer window (previous seasons haven't been good) and see where we are at the end of the season. He needs to get us back to the division that we were in when he bought us before anyone can think of the Prem. I think too many people are getting carried away by a tiny bit of success after three and a half years of dross.

My post was in response to comments suggesting that because our attendance wasn't back to huge numbers after a good start to the season, that it proves people are boycotting the team still.

I was not saying Roland WILL take us to the prem. I was saying if he did then there would be very few consciencious objectors "fighting the good fight" by not going to the game.

So I'm sure the matchday attendance yesterday is slightly lower because some people are doing that, of course.

I'm equally sure others are staying away because of the many seasons of failure. The longer outside the prem the more will drop off.

I also know for a fact some are staying away because of the toxic atmosphere protestors were bringing to the match day.

And for those that click LOL on my posts like smart arses, you can go f*** yourselves with your pompous attitudes, as if your view on the club is much smarter than mine.
    Spoke to someone at Rotherham away and he was saying he didn't bother with home games last season due to atmosphere and was embarrassed by some of the protests
    The atmosphere was dreadful because of the football and the very few protests that took place last season would not have happened if the squad had been completed in pre-season instead of left stupidly short in midfield, whether or not Slade was up to the job.

The main characteristic of matches at The Valley last season was a flat atmosphere with no energy from the crowd and that had bugger all to do with protests.
    If a few supporters are saying they found the atmosphere toxic last season I can only assume that would mean the protesting at most of the games last season.
    Of course there were only 3 or 4 official protests but most games I went to there was protesting.
  • My impression is that the fanbase was far more divided in the previous Championship season, when there seemed to be a divide between the "we need the points to stay up, that's the top priority" and the "we need Roland out, that's the top priority" camps.

Last season was such an uninspiring midtable mediocrity slog, that the pig protests etc actually livened things up!

• clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Agree though if someone didn't go last season because of protests they presumably meant those in the season before that.