Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:

As good as Pearce played, was anyone else going mad when he tried to burst out of defence and make a run forward with just minutes to go?!

No, I think he's just well aware that at this level no team has the technical ability to sit back and defend a lead. Every time we tried it this season (including yesterday) we got into troubles... My only wish is that he'd share this knowledge with our animated manager...
  • Options

Great game, great goals. Good atmosphere. Nothing to add to comments above.

The attendance should make those who think people will soon come back in numbers wake up and smell the coffee though. There were under 11,000 home supporters for a sixth straight home win. How many Tuesday night? Will the gate even make five figures? It may be a stretch if Wigan bring about 300.

Yes Airman it does look like there are numbers in the 1000s who are prepared to stay away while the Belgians are in charge.
    They said they are staying away and they are.
    Huge respect to them, someone said earlier in the week it's probably only a few hundred
  • Options

clb74 said:

Great game, great goals. Good atmosphere. Nothing to add to comments above.

The attendance should make those who think people will soon come back in numbers wake up and smell the coffee though. There were under 11,000 home supporters for a sixth straight home win. How many Tuesday night? Will the gate even make five figures? It may be a stretch if Wigan bring about 300.

Yes Airman it does look like there are numbers in the 1000s who are prepared to stay away while the Belgians are in charge.
    They said they are staying away and they are.
    Huge respect to them, someone said earlier in the week it's probably only a few hundred
    Nahhhh. Most of them aren't there because of the division and lack of success. Guarantee you that if Roland took Charlton to the prem those seats wouldn't be empty.
    Season ticket sales and average attendance were much higher in the recent League 1 seasons before Roland.

Second part of course if we're in the Prem we'll sell more tickets.
  • Options
    First game of the season today.
    Very impressed with the starting 11. They look hungry and they look like a team that know they have the ability to win the league. My worry is the depth of the squad. You look at the bench and we have no like for like quality. We either need a relatively injury free season or we are going to struggle over the Xmas period and after.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it always felt we had another gear, and we found it when we scored our two goals. If we are going to be successful, we have to be able to win games like this when we haven't got it all our own way - which we should credit Southend for. I think we deserved the points also so all good.
  • Options
    A good three points against a decent side who I would expect to be around the play off positions at the end of the season.

Tight and even match and the first goal was going to be key. Great cross from Solly and good header from Magennis. Fantastic strike from Holmes. Bit sweaty after they pulled one back, but bar one scare hung in.

Play like that and have good luck with injuries, then top 2 place is ours. If not, then heads will roll.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Regarding the Dodoo comments. I said after last weeks game that I thought he looked a bit of a donkey. On the other side I also said he took his goal well. From what I saw today he doesn't seem to fit in with the team which is made up of players who are comfortable on the ball and can control and make a pass. The juries still out for me but from what I've seen so far (apart from the goal) I don't think he's going to cut it. My opinion of course and it would be great if he proved me wrong but I just cant see it. To give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's still settling in.

Agree with this, I thought Dodoo looked dreadful. Still don't understand why we've sent youngsters out on loan and brought Dodoo in. In terms of home debut appearances he looked worse that Polish Pete.

Still it was only a few minutes and hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

Crazy game but entertaing...as usual we made a meal out of nothing...they were just a hoof ball outfit and it was a good job we were up when their goal happened.....slicker teams will unlock us.

I didn't see too much hoof ball and slick isn't really a term most would use in the third tier of English football.
    But I suppose we all see different things and have different opinions.
    I thought Southend started out with hoofball which, as @redlanered said to me at the time, could be a way to play against us as it bypasses our rather good midfield, but then played much more on the deck.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

A good three points against a decent side who I would expect to be around the play off positions at the end of the season.

Tight and even match and the first goal was going to be key. Great cross from Solly and good header from Magennis. Fantastic strike from Holmes. Bit sweaty after they pulled one back, but bar one scare hung in.

Play like that and have good luck with injuries, then top 2 place is ours. If not, then heads will roll.

Whose head though?
    It will probably be Robinsons but we all know whose it should be.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    You can see me in that picture of Mag scoring. Fame at last.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

I'm not an expert, but if Dodoo had ability to match his pace he probably wouldn't be playing in League 1.

Exactly. Same reason we can't have a big physical team that also play attacking passing football.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2017

Edit: posted on wrong thread.
  • Options

Crazy game but entertaing...as usual we made a meal out of nothing...they were just a hoof ball outfit and it was a good job we were up when their goal happened.....slicker teams will unlock us.

I didn't see too much hoof ball and slick isn't really a term most would use in the third tier of English football.
    But I suppose we all see different things and have different opinions.
    I thought Southend started out with hoofball which, as @redlanered said to me at the time, could be a way to play against us as it bypasses our rather good midfield, but then played much more on the deck.
    Thanks... What i said, good to see someone else actually watched the game.
  • Options

Talal said:

As good as Pearce played, was anyone else going mad when he tried to burst out of defence and make a run forward with just minutes to go?!

No, I think he's just well aware that at this level no team has the technical ability to sit back and defend a lead. Every time we tried it this season (including yesterday) we got into troubles... My only wish is that he'd share this knowledge with our animated manager...
    It wasn't about sitting back and defending a lead, there was just no need for him to burst forward. Pass to a teammate and stay in position, the game was almost done.
  • Options

First home game this season & only 2nd one overall (Exeter & Plymouth). Not sure what all the fuss has been about as I thought we were a bit lucky to win & a draw was a fairer result. Didn't get going for 20 mins & Southend could have been a couple up by then - Nile Ranger missed an easy chance after more messing around at the back. Kashi played too many short balls that gets the defence into trouble - he did the same at Plymouth in the first half when we nearly let one in & soon it will cause us letting one in.

Being 2-0 up seems to be a disaster for us & we took our foot off the pedal again, only to be saved by some poor finishing by Southend. If we do the same on Tuesday night I can see out first defeat at home.

I don't want to sound like a sour puss & really very pleased we won & are up to second, but its early days and as curbs once said - don't get too down after a defeat & too up after a win.

Holmes, Clarke & Pearce all played well, Fosu not so good & Da Silva was run ragged in the first half & their winger had him for toast. Not enough time to judge Dodoo but wish we had a bit more experience to come on with 10-15 mins to go than him & RFH.

Agree with some of that but where oh where you think Charlton were "a bit lucky to win and a draw was a fairer result" from I really don't know. We played a very decent well set up team yesterday. Of course they are going to have chances. They didn't have as many as we did though and didn't convert as many either. The other thing is you say " Dasilva was run ragged and their winger had him for toast". I certainly didn't think that in any way and I don't think it's reflected in the four pages of comments here.

You are right to warn against getting carried away. It far too early for that but those early signs are positive and I doubt there will be six better teams than Charlton in this league. I have no views on Dodoo but cover for Josh is my only real concern. We need him fit until January and for a decent competition for him signed then.

• Options
    Enjoyed my day. Met the voice, for the first time, that is @KillersBeard aka Terry Smith before the game for a quick chat. Had a bacon roll outside the ground, took a leisurely stroll into the East Stand and then enjoyed watching the game. First half we seemed a bit nervy but both sides had a few chances, very impressed with the link up play between DaSilva and Fosu down our left hand side. Baur and Pearce had their hands full with Ranger, what a man mountain he is!! Had a quick meet with Dr Kish at halftime on the concourse and we both said that the game could go either way, Southend always looked dangerous on the break.
    Second half we seemed to come out all guns blazing, great cross by Solly for Josh's goal quickly followed up by Ricky's shot, another great goal!! Southend made a few changes and their goal was always going to come, but after that we played as much possession footie as we could and saw the game out.
    With Marshall and Reeves to come into the side, I think we could have a good chance of getting out of this godforsaken League, BUT if we are in good place in January, RD will have to give KR the opportunity to strengthen the side for a final push, as the lack of back up strikers does bother me.