Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Comments

• Options

i dont see anything in doodoo other than pace

Have you seen him play other than the cameo today ?

• Options
    Two nice goals and could have had one or two more, which would have saved me a grey hair or two, becoming a very good start long may it continue.
  • Options
    Holmes goal was superb, especially coming as quick after the first...
  • Options
    Saw him last week
  • Options
    Talal said:

As good as Pearce played, was anyone else going mad when he tried to burst out of defence and make a run forward with just minutes to go?!

Going absolutely mental at my television. Such a strange decision.
  • Options

Given how many of us saying it's our first game of the season I dread to think how empty the previous games were !

Very impressed. Me and Billy Clarke are going to get on just fine. Potential for a lot of likeable characters amongst this bunch.

That's a very valid observation. I like the players in this team. All of them. Not been able to say that for a while.
    Great point both of you. Was thinking that the other day as well. To a man they all seem pretty down to earth, decent, hard working blokes. And they really seem to be playing for each other at the moment. It feels very different this year.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

i dont see anything in doodoo other than pace

He's no Reeco but give him a chance.
  • Options

Saw him last week

Fair enough. Youve seen him in a Charlton shirt as much as anyone has then. Still think it's a little to early to have made the call you have though.

• Options
    Probably the best we've faced this season and we started sluggishly but stood up well well defensively when under pressure and showed our class at the other end when needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did anybody else think Ferdinand was shit.
  • Options
    really like clarke - very quick brain and feet - think marshall and reeves will replace caskey and fosu and when they do we will absolutely destroy teams - b very surprised if we don't go up this year
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Defo going up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    First home game this season & only 2nd one overall (Exeter & Plymouth). Not sure what all the fuss has been about as I thought we were a bit lucky to win & a draw was a fairer result. Didn't get going for 20 mins & Southend could have been a couple up by then - Nile Ranger missed an easy chance after more messing around at the back. Kashi played too many short balls that gets the defence into trouble - he did the same at Plymouth in the first half when we nearly let one in & soon it will cause us letting one in.

Being 2-0 up seems to be a disaster for us & we took our foot off the pedal again, only to be saved by some poor finishing by Southend. If we do the same on Tuesday night I can see out first defeat at home.

I don't want to sound like a sour puss & really very pleased we won & are up to second, but its early days and as curbs once said - don't get too down after a defeat & too up after a win.

Holmes, Clarke & Pearce all played well, Fosu not so good & Da Silva was run ragged in the first half & their winger had him for toast. Not enough time to judge Dodoo but wish we had a bit more experience to come on with 10-15 mins to go than him & RFH.
  • Options
    I thought 2-1 was a fair reflection of the game. We seem to be going into a mental block at 2-0 up where we've let the opposition back in for the 3rd time already this season, but to be fair last season we would have drawn this 1-1 instead but at least we haven't drawn any games from a winning position this season yet.

Southend will be in the top half somewhere at the end of the season, we weren't at our best today but one thing i've noticed this team can do which i'm not sure i've seen any Charlton team ever do is be able to look like scoring every time we go forward and also be able to score quick goals in succession on a regular basis. 0-0 became 2-0 very quickly just like Oldham and just like the Northampton game went from 2-1 to 4-1 and Exeter we quickly turned around 0-1 to 2-1.

Pearce was immense and my MOTM today. I always say that usually defenders have had a good game when you don't notice them, well today it was the opposite and he was at the heart of everything winning every header. Magennis also deserves some credit for his defensive duties from corners where we do seem vulnerable.

Nothing more I can add about the other players but it feels with Marshall and Reeves still to come in we've got more in the tank yet I can't see us letting up just yet. Wigan will be a tough one and Gillingham will be up for our visit next Saturday, pretty much there cup final day and Scallywag would love nothing more than our scalp if nothing else this season so expect them to be up for it. I think after those two games we'll have a better idea how the season will shape up and if the players have it in them to get 4-6 pts out of those games, if we want to go up we need to be averaging 2+ pts a game, so far so good but it needs to continue.
  • Options
    Another entertaining game , with Pearce my MOM . Can't wait for Tuesday .
  • Options
    Imagine if we had kerms in this team.
  • Options
    Watched on the stream and the sparse population of the West Stand really stuck out.

Enjoyed the experience, even if the crowd noise was ten seconds behind the action in the second half.

Southend looked better than I thought they might and on the balance of play might have deserved a draw but in reality Amos hardly had a shot to save. Charlton did look dangerous in attack and had spells in the game that were as good as anything I've seen for a long time. Keep this up and we'll be up there at the end of the season.