Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Comments

• Options
    On another note do hope that Joe Dodoo will hopefully have better appearances

Was akin to Jay Dasilva / Millwall when he made his cameo today
  • Options
    Pearce was excellent and both full backs were very good. Clarke just makes the team tick and Holmes is far too good for this league. Didn't think Kashi was particularly good for the first half an hour but he grew into the match, Amos needs better communication but is an adequate stopper and Fosu has to improve his decision making at certain times. Overall, though, they're minor concerns and it was a good win against a well organised outfit with some quality players. Excellent management from Robinson to bring Dodoo on for Holmes and move Magennis to a wide position, gave us an outlet in the final few minutes of the game to relieve pressure.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think we might actually win this league
  • Options
    First home game for me this season and very entertaining too. Like the movement and pace.being shown by the midfield.

Peace was a lion heart in the first half and Ricky upped the tempo at around the hour mark. Southend suddenly look frazzled and Fosu put in a peach of a cross which big Josh just missed out on.

Both goals were very good indeed for differing reasons. A bullet header after a pin point cross followed by a Holmes special. Keep them coming Ricky and practice those corners.

Special mention for Clarke. What a clever player with fast feet. His link up play is excellent.

• Options
    Played well in patches but felt Southend could have snatched a draw. Holmes and Solly played well and Fosu looks dangerous but needs to improve his decision making.

I felt Da Silva lacked cover and he was left exposed on occasions which teams will exploit on that side.

Have seen Amos play twice and he's looked suspect in both games - very flappy on crosses and I can't imagine this inspires confidence in the defence.

Our corners were fairly hopeless - the best cross of the day was the peach of a ball from Solly to set up the first goal.

An enjoyable game and Southend were pretty well organised.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:

That was a hard earned three points. Southend are well organised and not without flair. I couldn't really see the breakthrough coming today. Fantastic cross and great header by Josh. Ricky's goal was just pure Ricky. He's an absolute gem of a player. Love watching him. Thought Kashi was skating on thin ice early on a few times today. Not quite up to his high level of quality although he grew into the match. Didn't quite happen for Fosu either. Not through lack of effort but just too many poor decisions and what he tried didn't come off. Think Dodoo should have replaced Fosu on about 70 minutes. Brown set Southend up to press us high up the pitch and it worked. 2 - 1 was just about right but it could have been 2 - 2 quite easily. Starting to look like we will be top six or damned close. Still don't think we are ruthless enough to be top two. We won't keep too many clean sheets and you can't outgun every team. Chuffed to be sitting second though. We are a very tidy team and the best team we've had to watch for years and I mean Curbishley years.

Joint top scorers in the league...
    Yeah I know. I just don't see us grinding out those 1 - 0's away from home. Take your point though.

Maybe not, but there could be quite a few 2-1, 3-2 and 4-3 wins this season.
  • Options
    Hard fought game, but the team with the extra class won - and long may that continue!
  • Options
    What was the attendance?
  • Options

Make no mistake, we would've been lucky to draw that match last season. Southend were good but we were able to hold them off, wear them down and pick them off when they tired.

Promising signs. Forty games to go.

We won this game 3 - 0 last season :wink:
  • Options
    First half I thought Southend were as good if not better than us. Our defense looked vulnerable and although our passing game looked good there was no tip to the spear. Worthy winners after the second half performance however. Southend looked alright - was that a full-strength team they put out?
  • Options
    Get in! Another win and now second.
    Well done lads.
  • Options

Make no mistake, we would've been lucky to draw that match last season. Southend were good but we were able to hold them off, wear them down and pick them off when they tired.

Promising signs. Forty games to go.

We won this game 3 - 0 last season :wink:

2-1
    Holmes (6' minutes), Thompson (74' minutes og) ?

• Options
    Southend weren't a bad side and caused us some problems at times but we always looked more dangerous so 2-1 was a reasonable reflection of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played very well in patches but Southend had done their homework on us and it showed.

Poor marking for their goal but generally the defence were superb yet again although Amos scares me

Clarke, Holmes and Pearce the standouts for me.

Long may this continue

• Options
    Anyone know the attendance?
  • Options

Anyone know the attendance?

BBC say 12,000
  • Options
    Like this team, lots of players comfortable on the ball, we are a bit small and may get bullied by a few teams in this league but it is enjoyable to watch us play again. Clarke is looking like a great signing
  • Options
    Talal said:

As good as Pearce played, was anyone else going mad when he tried to burst out of defence and make a run forward with just minutes to go?!

Agreed, that was bizarre, as once we lost the ball he was completely out of position
  • Options
    A decent match and performance, some of our passing and attacking play is superb, for the first time in a long time, indeed ever, I think we've got the best footballing team in the division

I do slightly worry about our defending though, not the CBs but the shield in front of them, as in the first half we were cut open a bit too easily in midfield a few times, and I still worry about corners a bit. Southend are decent team though, I expect them to be fighting for the playoffs.

In terms of injuries, it's worth noting that we've started this season without two of out main signings, Reeves and Marshall, and still have Page and Lennon to come back
  • Options

What was the attendance?

• Options
    Crazy game but entertaing...as usual we made a meal out of nothing...they were just a hoof ball outfit and it was a good job we were up when their goal happened.....slicker teams will unlock us.
  • Options

Crazy game but entertaing...as usual we made a meal out of nothing...they were just a hoof ball outfit and it was a good job we were up when their goal happened.....slicker teams will unlock us.

Were you actually there ?