Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Hand Experience of Hurricane Irma

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Glad to hear you are alive and kicking!

Happy to check through your travel policy and advise if you send over to me.

Thanks for your offer of help and that for @MrLargo . I may take up your offer at a later date. I have documented the issues and forwarded that paper to both the UK Travel Agent (Travel Bag) and the hotel group (Best Western). I have spoken to my travel insurance agent, who will get a Claims Officer to call me. The advice I was given was from the insurance ppl, is that they would pursue a claim on our behalf with the travel agent and hotel. Perhaps I can contact you again if I feel that I am getting nowhere with the insurance ppl.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for your offer of help and that for @MrLargo . I may take up your offer at a later date. I have documented the issues and forwarded that paper to both the UK Travel Agent (Travel Bag) and the hotel group (Best Western). I have spoken to my travel insurance agent, who will get a Claims Officer to call me. The advice I was given was from the insurance ppl, is that they would pursue a claim on our behalf with the travel agent and hotel. Perhaps I can contact you again if I feel that I am getting nowhere with the insurance ppl.
    Sure, no problem, feel free to PM me now if you wish, I'm sure the policy is available on line so as long as I know what cover you took I can look into.

I'm a little suspicious of what you say about the travel insurers comments, how they subrogate their loss is irrelevant, they insured you not the hotel or the airline, you either have a claim against them under the terms of the policy or you don't. If you don't I've never met a insurer who then takes on your fight elsewhere (unless it's a legal expenses insurer with your home insurance etc).
  • Options

Glad you're well @PeterGage
    Like many others I kept coming back to this thread hoping you had updated all was well.

However...don't try to make "living on crisps and biscuits" sound like a bad thing. We're not buying it :wink:

You obviously haven't had enough experience of American crisps and biscuits. They think "ranch" is an exotic flavor for crisps, and the Oreo is top of the biscuit hierarchy.

I think heading out in a hurricane during curfew in the hope of finding Chinese food is the sort of thing American snack foods will do to you.
    Yeah uh, sorry about that whole ranch thing. I don't get it, it's disgusting.

Glad you're home safe Peter, that's what matters most. Really hope you get your money back given, ya know, you survived a hurricane and all.
  • Options
    The food sounds ok - I live on crisps and biscuits!

Glad you're all back in one piece.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    PeterGage said:

Rob7Lee said:

@PeterGage your possible redress is limited because of the circumstances. However, it depends on what you bought. When you paid for your holiday, did you get a "package holiday" ATOL certificate or a "flight plus" ATOL certificate (or neither if you booked separate component parts more than 24hours apart). If you had "flight plus", then travelbag have operated as agent and therefore your contract is with the service provider (in this case the hotel and the airline). If you have a "package" certificate, then your contract is with travelbag ( or the supplier of the package if travelbag are acting as their agent). This will determine how you approach this - happy to share my thoughts.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2022
    My wife is in Naples Florida right now and was visiting her very ill mum. Got caught in this latest hurricane ‘Ian’ in a rental house with her sister. Absolutely mental is how she described the storm which directly hit that part of Florida. They were about a mile inland from the coast so avoided the crazy flooding. They still have no power or water. They woke up yesterday morning to the news their mum had passed away during the night while they were under curfew, although they did spend a lot of time with her in the previous days. My brother in laws best mate lived by Sanibel Island and lost everything, house, boat and car. I think there will be a substantial loss of life.