Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Hand Experience of Hurricane Irma

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Davo55 said:

Looks terrible on the weather news. Hoping to hear positive news from @PeterGage and @Nug this morning.

Might be a while given communication difficulties. Hoping they have come through relatively unscathed. Must be a dreadful experience, though.

I was evacuated from New Orleans once back in 1998 while many of the others attending same conference chose to stay put and hunker down. That particular hurricane veered away at last minute. Can't imagine what they must have felt when they saw the devastation caused by Katrina.

Keeping everything crossed for those in Florida...
  • Options
    https://facebook.com/james.steed.336/videos/317021838762143/

Well, you buy this stuff, I suppose you've got to use it!
  • Options
    Feel sorry for all those affected especially those on the smaller islands that have been flattened. It must have been terrifying...
  • Options
    I gather Richard Branston braved it out in his wine cellar and survived okay.
  • Options

I gather Richard Branston braved it out in his wine cellar and survived okay.

Like a true Englishman.
  • Options
    Sat here in Atlanta....seems like it is our turn now although on a much lesser scale.

The city is under a Tropical Storm warning for the first time in history (quite impressive considering we are 5 hours from the nearest coastline)

Days like these when you wished you didn't live in a wooden bungalow :)
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Sat here in Atlanta....seems like it is our turn now although on a much lesser scale.

The city is under a Tropical Storm warning for the first time in history (quite impressive considering we are 5 hours from the nearest coastline)

Days like these when you wished you didn't live in a wooden bungalow :)

Hope all goes well.
  • Options
    Good luck @DanDavis mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard from my nephew today. Apart from some damage to the roof and the fence blowing down everyone is ok.

Hope everyone else's friends and relatives were as lucky.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

No update for a while from @PeterGage - hope he's OK.

Power is out all over the place, cell towers damaged too. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Miami International Airport planning to reopen later today.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Glad that so far everyone's family is good, just waiting on Peter. Every time I see someone has posted here I hope it's him. But limey is right, power out and cell towers down and whilst I like to think of CL as the center of the universe, I imagine without power or cell reception if you can get either of those things you'll use them to get in touch with loved ones and try and figure out a way to get home.

Limey, how's your son doing? It looked live Savanah ended up taking more of a beating than expected, so glad he moved elsewhere.

@DanDavis are you doing okay?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    SDAddick said:

Glad that so far everyone's family is good, just waiting on Peter. Every time I see someone has posted here I hope it's him. But limey is right, power out and cell towers down and whilst I like to think of CL as the center of the universe, I imagine without power or cell reception if you can get either of those things you'll use them to get in touch with loved ones and try and figure out a way to get home.

Limey, how's your son doing? It looked live Savanah ended up taking more of a beating than expected, so glad he moved elsewhere.

He's done fine, thanks, itching to go back and my fear is he'll start heading back before it's safe. He manages a restaurant, so needs to find out if there's any power for the refrigeration, or if all the food's been spoiled, as well as if his home has been damaged. He ignores my texts when he knows I won't like what he's telling me, haven't heard from him this morning. Weather is in the high nineties there, so that's going to cause some problems also.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

SDAddick said:

He's done fine, thanks, itching to go back and my fear is he'll start heading back before it's safe. He manages a restaurant, so needs to find out if there's any power for the refrigeration, or if all the food's been spoiled, as well as if his home has been damaged. He ignores my texts when he knows I won't like what he's telling me, haven't heard from him this morning. Weather is in the high nineties there, so that's going to cause some problems also.
    Glad he's alright.

Ugh that high 90s heat and humidity without air conditioning is brutal. Hope his restaurant is OK, but I think you're right about heading back too soon.
  • Options
    But apart from that, it was a lovely trip.....

Glad you have got home safely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad you made it home safe, Peter.

I know a little bit about consumer rights in the event of holiday disruption (certainly not an expert though). There are two, possibly three avenues to pursue:

1. Travelbag is a member of the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) - https://abta.com/. I believe they (ABTA) offer an Ombudsman service for managing complaints against their members. They will, at the very least, be able to advise you on what Travelbag's obligations to you were while you were stranded in the States, so that you can make a complaint to Travelbag.

Don't get fobbed off and don't let the matter drop - if you don't get a satisfactory response straight away then stick with it. Companies save a fortune in paying out for complaints because people lose interest/can't find the time to keep at them.

2. Go through your travel insurance policy, line by line and highlight the bits that you feel are relevant to you, as well as checking the exclusions. I would do this before you speak to your insurer, so you have an idea of what you're entitled to.

3. Probably not a great chance of success with this, but may be worth speaking to your credit/debit card issuer (whichever one you used to pay for your holiday). You may have a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act:

Under section 75, in certain circumstances, the provider of credit is equally liable with the provider of goods or services in cases where there has been misrepresentation or a breach of contract.

The Consumer Credit Act only applies to credit card transactions, although you get similar coverage with your debit card these days, worth looking into.

Hope that helps. Have a quick read through this as well - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations#post-departure-changes
  • Options
    I would make any of the looters caught repair the places they stole from.
  • Options
    Hurricane Irma: Emile Heskey fears for relatives missing in Barbuda

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-41251811
  • Options
    Glad to hear you are back in Blighty safe and well Peter. Sounds pretty hairy to me so glad you are unscathed.
  • Options
    Glad you got home in one piece, Peter. You may find it difficult to get much recompense for an 'Act of God' but certainly sounded terrible the way some of the travelco's just abandoned people to their own devices.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you are alive and kicking!

Happy to check through your travel policy and advise if you send over to me.
  • Options
    @PeterGage

Fantastic to hear you are safe and well.

Your posts have brought home what it's really like to be caught up in something like that. As far as I have understood from previous posts - and apologies if wrong - you are not in the first flush of youth yourself but it sounds like you have provided comfort and leadership to a lot of your fellow refugees from the storm. Hats off to you, sir.

PS we were utter dogshite last night. And it wasn't the ref's fault :-)