Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Murphy on why he had a problem at Charlton

This may be well-known to others but this was the first time I had seen this piece by Murphy (on the BBC Sport website today).

A few weeks before I joined Tottenham on transfer deadline day at the end of January 2006, I was bombed out by Charlton manager Alan Curbishley and told to train with the kids - although to this day I cannot understand why that decision was made.

The difference with my situation and the ones I have been talking about, was that the original trigger point was nothing to do with me.

It did not come about because I was angling to join Spurs, but because I found out that Curbishley was trying to manufacture a swap deal involving me going to Newcastle for two of their players.

When I brought it up and asked, in a very civil way, what was going on, he denied it.

Then we lost our next game, against Everton at the start of January, and neither myself nor the team played particularly well.

That was it. Next thing I knew I was in the youth team. If he had just dropped me then there is no way I would have done anything but tried my best in training.

I felt I had been treated unfairly but it was probably thought that I had the potential to be a bad influence on the other lads if I carried on working with them.

The thing was that at Charlton, four or five of my team-mates were really good pals of mine and they were absolutely fuming for me but I just said "get on with it - do your own thing and my problem will resolve itself".

It was actually nice in a way because I got to help the young lads a bit and work with Mark Robson, who is an excellent coach, but I knew I had to leave the club.

Comments

• Options
    If this is true - and I would like to hear the other side of it - but if true, fair enough from his position.
  • Options
    Interesting - still not keen on him ever since that cost of his watch comment to a member of staff
  • Options
    Whys it taken him 10-years to come out with this comment when he's mentioned Charlton a few times before now?
  • Options
    I had really high hopes that season we had Murphy and Smertin in midfield. Started well if I recall. I remember a league cup tie midweek against Blackburn where we were 2-0 up with about ten minutes to go, Murphy scored the second. We conceded three in ten minutes to lose 3-2, one a worldly strike from David Thompson from 30 yards that embarrassingly had me standing up applauding much to the distaste of my neighbours. It all went tits up after that. For some reason every time Murphy comes up I remember that game.
  • Options

I had really high hopes that season we had Murphy and Smertin in midfield. Started well if I recall. I remember a league cup tie midweek against Blackburn where we were 2-0 up with about ten minutes to go, Murphy scored the second. We conceded three in ten minutes to lose 3-2, one a worldly strike from David Thompson from 30 yards that embarrassingly had me standing up applauding much to the distaste of my neighbours. It all went tits up after that. For some reason every time Murphy comes up I remember that game.

That happened straight after our 2-0 lead against Spurs was thrown away and we were beaten 3-2

Went to the Blackburn League Cup game because a family friend (who is a Charlton supporter) was over from Canada so took him along, couldn't believe it we'd thrown another game after being 2-0 up again
  • Options
    To be fair to Murphy (through gritted teeth) these sorts of tales have popped up about Curbs in the past. He could be a spiky bugger when he wanted to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs got wind that Murphy was looking to move to Spurs so Curbs tried to get a better deal for the club involving Newcastle and then Murphy reacted. Murphy does not deny that he was angling to join Spurs.
  • Options
    "although to this day I cannot understand why that decision was made"

"was that the original trigger point was nothing to do with me."

If Murphy cannot understand why the decision was made how can he be so definitive that the original trigger point was nothing to do with him?
  • Options
    Always thought he'd had a bust-up with Rommedahl?
  • Options
    I wonder who the two Newcastle players were?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

To be fair to Murphy (through gritted teeth) these sorts of tales have popped up about Curbs in the past. He could be a spiky bugger when he wanted to

Good... Players shouldnt have the power over Management and Clubs!!

Murphy should have remembered that the club at the time were doing a lot better in the Premier League with the less fashionable names like Mark Kinsella, Claus Jensen and Jonatan Johansson than the superstar names of Danny Murphy etc.

Maybe werent finishing as high but there was a lot more grit and determination in the team all created by Curbs!! - And for me that was with the least attractive Strikeforce that the Premier League has ever seen with: Jason Euell | Shaun Bartlett and Jonatan Johansson
  • Options
    Read/heard it a little while ago. Thought it ended up by saying that he gets on with Curbs now?
  • Options
    Murphy always mentions this in every interview he does
  • Options

I wonder who the 2 Newcastle players were?

This was the First-Team Squad that Newcastle had back that season... Be surprised if one had been Scotty Parker seeing that he'd only joined that Summer, maybe Albert Luque or Amdy Faye I hate to say (i.e. Did we sign him that summer because he'd been on the Curbs list and had been discussed with Richard Murphy so was a suggestion to Dowie?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Newcastle_United_F.C._season#First-team_squad
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I wonder who the two Newcastle players were?

Scott Parker?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Milner and Butt would have been two Curbs type players
  • Options
    Has anyone asked who the two Newcastle players were?
  • Options
    I am not a fan of punditry as frequently foisted on us, and both Danny Murphy and Danny Mills are two of the most irritating ones in my view.
    Alan Green the commentator is appalling and when combined with either of those two it is excruciating.
    However Murphy was under contract and Curbishley could have kept him but didn't, I think Curbs was clearly rather dictatorial but suspect the truth of this story is a bit of this and a bit of that, and anyway not much of a story at all.
  • Options
    Chances of this being true, 16/1.
  • Options
    Why did he leave Liverpool?
  • Options
    sm said:

Curbs got wind that Murphy was looking to move to Spurs so Curbs tried to get a better deal for the club involving Newcastle and then Murphy reacted. Murphy does not deny that he was angling to join Spurs.

depends how you read It did not come about because I was angling to join Spurs,
  • Options
    Any ideas who the Newcastle players were?