Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southender in peace

Hi. Southender in peace.

Looking forward to another visit to the valley. Got a lot of time for charlton. My first away game in around 93 was the valley.

We should bring around 1500 odd. Tbh I'm not expecting much at all. We have a good squad on paper but have horrendous injuries. So much so that against rochdale last week we started the match with just 1 recognised defender two youth and a midfielder in the back 4.

We had coker ferdinand turner Demetriou Wordsworth hendrie Kiernan and white all missing.

That said we are slowly getting some of our better players closer to fitness. Ranger has been a huge miss and finally got back as a second half sub last match and looked the part. Our young right back making his debut at just 16 got MOM last week and looked great. However Rochdale offered very little.

As for Saturday I'm sure charlton will be looking to continue a great start and I fear this game is too early for our injury hit squad.

We do however have some very useful player and kightly cox and Ranger will give you something to think about saybthe other end.

All the best for the season after Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    Had no idea you had so many injury problems.

We've had a very bright start to the season and some supporters are feeling the most optimistic that they have for a while and certainly since Duchatelet bought the club. The question is whether it will last this time.

Good luck for the season. Southend away is one of the best reasons to be stuck in this dreadful league.
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Pi$$ off.

Kidding, have a nice day.

Alternatively, this.
  • Options
    Thanks for the low down.

Charlton being Charlton and you needing a leg up/ change of luck, i think we may possibly be able to help you.

Let's see how ruthless KR has got us. I think it may be a lot closer than you think. We are very generous.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting Southender I quite like your club to be fair.
    I reckon we will win a tight game Saturday what with the players you have missing but all the best for the season mate
  • Options
    edited September 2017

If you and your mates jump off at Maze Hill around 14:00, we'll meet you there.

Still haven't forgotten that 2k and 3pts we gave them. Don't get me started on Deano and Willie feckin Carson!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Still haven't forgotten that 2k and 3pts we gave them. Don't get me started on Deano and Willie feckin Carson!
    Wasn't that Swindon?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

It was 13:00 actually!!!!!!!
    Plenty of time for a couple of pies first.

• Options

T.C.E said:

Wasn't that Swindon?
    Yes, 99/00
  • Options

Hi. Southender in peace.

Looking forward to another visit to the valley. Got a lot of time for charlton. My first away game in around 93 was the valley.

We should bring around 1500 odd. Tbh I'm not expecting much at all. We have a good squad on paper but have horrendous injuries. So much so that against rochdale last week we started the match with just 1 recognised defender two youth and a midfielder in the back 4.

We had coker ferdinand turner Demetriou Wordsworth hendrie Kiernan and white all missing.

That said we are slowly getting some of our better players closer to fitness. Ranger has been a huge miss and finally got back as a second half sub last match and looked the part. Our young right back making his debut at just 16 got MOM last week and looked great. However Rochdale offered very little.

As for Saturday I'm sure charlton will be looking to continue a great start and I fear this game is too early for our injury hit squad.

We do however have some very useful player and kightly cox and Ranger will give you something to think about saybthe other end.

Was the 93 game the 4-3 match? We left when it was 3-1 Charlton. Missed a lot in the last five mins....
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Hi. Southender in peace.

Was the 93 game the 4-3 match? We left when it was 3-1 Charlton. Missed a lot in the last five mins....
    I think that was 94 the day they opened the east stand - possibly
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

@shrimperama I think what you're learning is that Charlton fans have a long memory. Not an entirely accurate memory, but a long one.

Or he could be learning how easy it is to.........
    What's the term used? ................ "Whoosh"
    We lost 0-1 to Swindon who were bottom of the table and hadn't won a game all season. Deano managed to save a cross from left hand side but inexplicably pushed the ball into his own goal in front of a gobsmacked Covered End, which almost certainly meant we were kicking towards the The Jimmy Seed stand making the goal in the first half. Willie Carson came onto the pitch at half time thanked CAFC for the 2k and asked if they could have the3 Pts as well. Now where the feckin hell did leave my car keys. ;)
  • Options

Having said that, I'm not sure I've forgiven Southend for somehow coming 1 point behind Millwall and letting them into the playoffs...

But our fucktard fans could not see the bigger picture beyond 3 immediate points for us when we won , sad times but I guess no one feels the pain like I do that we are a league below our only real rivals
  • Options
    cabbles said:

PopIcon said:

Hi. Southender in peace.

Correct. All 7 goals were in the 2nd half as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

PopIcon said:

Hi. Southender in peace.

I think you played in this game?
  • Options
    I still have nightmares about the game in the 90s at Roots Hall when we missed two penalties - if memory serves me correctly we would have gone top of the table if we had won
  • Options

I still have nightmares about the game in the 90s at Roots Hall when we missed two penalties - if memory serves me correctly we would have gone top of the table if we had won

great day, Gatting sent off, someone else too, did Morts miss both penalties?
  • Options
    Top day out that one
  • Options
    cabbles said:

PopIcon said:

Hi. Southender in peace.

Yeah looking back you could be right. Hazy memory. It was the game when we were 3-0 down came back to 3-3 and Alan Pardew scored the winner in think. Sure it was a Xmas match as I definately remember going to the valley over that period. Also remember some cracking games at roots hall against you in the 90s. Sadly we dropped like a stone and charlton had a great period in the prem.

Tbh success this season would be a solid mid table finish and planning for the new stadium being agreed in the next month. Roots hall is falling apart at the seams. The new ground is a must.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

great day, Gatting sent off, someone else too, did Morts miss both penalties?
    Think they had a player sent off as well. Walsh def missed a pen.
  • Options

cabbles said:

PopIcon said:

Hi. Southender in peace.

I think you played in this game?
    I did.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/5960/the-week-that-was-2nd-april-1994-charlton-4-southend-3
  • Options

The Spread Eagle was lively before the game.
  • Options

cabbles said:

PopIcon said:

Hi. Southender in peace.

Yeah looking back you could be right. Hazy memory. It was the game when we were 3-0 down came back to 3-3 and Alan Pardew scored the winner in think. Sure it was a Xmas match as I definately remember going to the valley over that period. Also remember some cracking games at roots hall against you in the 90s. Sadly we dropped like a stone and charlton had a great period in the prem.

Tbh success this season would be a solid mid table finish and planning for the new stadium being agreed in the next month. Roots hall is falling apart at the seams. The new ground is a must.

It was around March time I think. I would've been 12

I remember being apoplectic when you equalised, if 12 year old's can be apoplectic

Chris Powell would've been playing for you I think
  • Options
    Who can ever forget Leaburns goal at Southend that he took 12 minutes to score

Great days