Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV137 (Sep 9th) - attention Stuart Leary fans

edited September 2017 in General Charlton
A little something for Leary fans in this weekend's new Voice of The Valley.

Some cracking articles from other contributors too, including a former director on RD. Plus a player interview with a 1980s regular. This issue is a particularly good read, in my biased opinion. Plenty on the flying start to the season too.

Available now to order online at www.votvonline.com for posting out tomorrow afternoon.

Comments

• Options
    3pm cut-off for orders to get in the post tonight.
  • Options
    Big interview in the new VOT137 today is with Paul Curtis, 1982-85 right-back.
  • Options
    Will buy one on my way in.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Just opened up my copy and started reading with my morning cuppa. ( Dropbox working well, Rick, thanks)

Stopped after reading the editorial.

Everyone needs to read that editorial. Especially anyone who wants to believe that this regime has learnt its lessons and that we have our Charlton back, and can all happily return to roar them on to promotion.

It is calm, meticulous, fact based and absolutely devastating in its conclusions. Read it, and keep your feet on the ground and your heads clear.

But of course, I will be trying my best to watch on a stream this afternoon, hoping for more of the thrilling attacking football I have seen, somewhat open-mouthed, in recent games. And I will be there on Tuesday, having bought no less than 5 tickets, as we all want to be there directly after the celebration of my Mum's life in Eltham that afternoon. I hope the team and The Valley will lift us, just as I remember it doing after my Dad passed away in 1996.

If the regime actually came out and conceded some of the points of fact in this editorial; and thereby conceded that Duchatelet has, as good businessmen do, reappraised his market, and changed his strategy, I might be ready to embrace them, as well as the team on Tuesday. No such messages come from this regime. Instead the mute hostility towards those lifelong, battle hardened fans who simply point out inconvenient truths, continues. For me that will cast a shadow over what I hope will be a happy first look at the new team in the flesh. So be it.

Support the team, not the regime.

Agreed, excellent editorial.

Robinson could take us up this season and good for him if he manages it despite this background.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your mum Prague. Enjoy the game Tuesday night.
  • Options

Just opened up my copy and started reading with my morning cuppa. ( Dropbox working well, Rick, thanks)

Stopped after reading the editorial.

Everyone needs to read that editorial. Especially anyone who wants to believe that this regime has learnt its lessons and that we have our Charlton back, and can all happily return to roar them on to promotion.

It is calm, meticulous, fact based and absolutely devastating in its conclusions. Read it, and keep your feet on the ground and your heads clear.

But of course, I will be trying my best to watch on a stream this afternoon, hoping for more of the thrilling attacking football I have seen, somewhat open-mouthed, in recent games. And I will be there on Tuesday, having bought no less than 5 tickets, as we all want to be there directly after the celebration of my Mum's life in Eltham that afternoon. I hope the team and The Valley will lift us, just as I remember it doing after my Dad passed away in 1996.

If the regime actually came out and conceded some of the points of fact in this editorial; and thereby conceded that Duchatelet has, as good businessmen do, reappraised his market, and changed his strategy, I might be ready to embrace them, as well as the team on Tuesday. No such messages come from this regime. Instead the mute hostility towards those lifelong, battle hardened fans who simply point out inconvenient truths, continues. For me that will cast a shadow over what I hope will be a happy first look at the new team in the flesh. So be it.

Support the team, not the regime.

Haven't read the article and in no way do I think everything is ok but I can't see why this team won't at least make the play-offs.

For all the talk of a wafer thin squad we also have players l Reeves and Marshall to come back, Konsa on the bench while I'd be surprised if this was the first season in a while where a new youngster doesn't step up.

I don't think it's so much about learning lessons but Roland losing interest. The network and experimenting has failed. KR is left to get on with the job which should at least maintain the value of the club if not increase it. I think he's probably looking to sell but is in no rush - it won't be at a cut down price. Getting back to the Championship may be needed to attract something close to the money he'll be asking for.

I don't have confidence that we'd be comfortable in the Championship while RD owns the club, never mind anything more ambitious longer term. However we can only judge and deal with that if we get there. I don't think more or less people going to games is going to make much difference to RD at this point.
  • Options
    I don't expect RD to publically apologise, anymore than I would expect Murray to apologise for Dowie etc

As long as they actually change their approach, that's all I care about. And I'd rather we win the league and Katrien/RD claim undeserved credit than be stuck in this division for another year
  • Options
    I can tell you now that RD has not changed his approach, nor is he aware of the reason(s) why we appear to be doing a bit better than previous seasons. His beliefs in footballing terms are no different from 2 years ao.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This beauty of a banner also makes an appearance. Some of my best work. Lovely stuff
  • Options

I can tell you now that RD has not changed his approach, nor is he aware of the reason(s) why we appear to be doing a bit better than previous seasons. His beliefs in footballing terms are no different from 2 years ao.

It would help considerably if we knew what those beliefs were/are El Presidenti.
    Speaking for myself, I haven't known from the word go what the dozy delusional bastard thinks he's playing at......and I've yet to meet or speak to anyone who can honestly say they know. As many people as you ask is as many different answers you will get.
    And you know what........I don't think Meire knows the answer either.....she's of course just along for the ride, be it good, bad or indifferent.
  • Options

I don't expect RD to publically apologise, anymore than I would expect Murray to apologise for Dowie etc

As long as they actually change their approach, that's all I care about. And I'd rather we win the league and Katrien/RD claim undeserved credit than be stuck in this division for another year

It's useful that you refer to Murray. Very few chairman ever come out and say " the supporters were right" , but the Murray - Varney regime was skilled at listening to what supporters were saying and using informal communications channels to quietly explain what they were trying to do. This lot continues to wage war on supporters they consider to not be compliant. That is the sign of an unhealthy management regime and sooner or later that will manifest itself in team matters.

Tell me - anyone, who thinks they have really changed- : if Magennis is carried off with a nasty injury on Tuesday, what do you think KR will do for the following game, and what action do you believe the club will take, if they find out he is out for a month or more?
  • Options
    Like I said I don't think they've really changed. To answer that question though the only choice until January would be to go with what we've got or bring in a free agent. They've done both of those things before. Neither would be ideal given our back up options and anyone out of contract won't be anywhere near match fit (before you even consider ability, how they fit into the squad, playing style etc). I don't think one action would prove it either way.
  • Options
    Lovely article on Stuart Leary, I first saw him play when I was a young boy and some of my happiest memories growing up were watching the great Stuart Leary playing for Charlton.
  • Options

Lovely article on Stuart Leary, I first saw him play when I was a young boy and some of my happiest memories growing up were watching the great Stuart Leary playing for Charlton.

Never saw Leary but I thought the article was nicely written and a bit different. Always appreciate unsolicited contributions like that.
  • Options
    I hope longstanding readers liked the Graham Newson (Northern Notebook) tribute piece too - he was a prolific contributor from 1988 to 1998, remarkably so because he didn't see many matches.

Graham died in the summer after suffering from Parkinson's for many years, although he was still a committed supporter and saw his final match in March.
  • Options

As I have often said on here, he was the greatest player I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    cafcwill said:

This beauty of a banner also makes an appearance. Some of my best work. Lovely stuff

A banner chock full of positivity, will !
  • Options

It is indisputable that he has changed some of his approach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It is indisputable that he has changed some of his approach.

cafcwill said:

It's a different Will (well different user name ).
  • Options

cafcwill said:

thats @cafc_will you are referring to. His banners will never match mine
  • Options
    cafcwill said:

cafcwill said:

thats @cafc_will you are referring to. His banners will never match mine
    OK, guys.

TBH, one will is much like another to me.....