Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Motson (not an RIP)

2»

Comments

• Options
    it's not so much that he is a particularly exceptional descriptive talent, more his vocal tone that I always liked

He's a Derby County fan
  • Options

BBC 'talent' usually carries on until the grim reaper puts an end to their career .. but old Motty was a good un .. a walking, talking, grinning encyclopaedia of football trivia and a good commentator in his day .... I'll miss his short, sharp and relevant R5Live comments on the Friday and Monday 'club' nights

Grew up on Brian Moore and Motty.

I wonder what the late Brian Moore and Motty would make of the commentary nowadays.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Personally I think he's a lousy football commentator. He just seems to name the player on the ball and is always about two seconds behind the play.

Still a legend though.

Better than Jackie Oatley.
    Nonsense!
  • Options
    Another commentator I find awful (and a lot worse than Motson) is Jonathan Pearce.

He's not bad live but whenever I listen to him on Match of the Day he commentates as though there is a lag between sound and picture... i.e. He pretty much yells "Goal" as the goalscorer is already halfway through their celebration

(Although probably doesnt help that MOTD commentary is pre-recorded these days)
  • Options

Another commentator I find awful (and a lot worse than Motson) is Jonathan Pearce.

He's not bad live but whenever I listen to him on Match of the Day he commentates as though there is a lag between sound and picture... i.e. He pretty much yells "Goal" as the goalscorer is already halfway through their celebration

Yeah this is true. I like Pearce a lot but his MOTD commentary feels a bit forced. Some commentators are very good at doing the post-record thing. The absolute master was Peter Brackley! He spent most of his career in a recording booth, hundred or thousands of miles from the games he commentated on.
  • Options

Are they? All the MOTD commentators are at the games, so why wouldn't they commentate live?
  • Options
    Last ever live commentary this weekend on 5Live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43337062
  • Options
    He has been at pains to point out that he is only leaving the BBC not necessary broadcasting in general.
  • Options
    I met John when we celebrated our big anniversary. His Dad was a Vicar in Plumstead, very modest nice guy with a soft spot for our Club.
  • Options
    Wonder if he'll be at the kit sponsors' dinner this year .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, he has been a great commentator. Not doubting that. But imo he's gone on too long. If he had quit 5-8 years ago, go out in his prime. But he's not as good as he was or as good as everyone says imo
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah this is true. I like Pearce a lot but his MOTD commentary feels a bit forced. Some commentators are very good at doing the post-record thing. The absolute master was Peter Brackley! He spent most of his career in a recording booth, hundred or thousands of miles from the games he commentated on.
    With Pearce I think he sufferered from his radio background where you have to fill in more info for the listeners than you do with a viewer.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Addickted said:

Personally I think he's a lousy football commentator. He just seems to name the player on the ball and is always about two seconds behind the play.

Still a legend though.

Better than Jackie Oatley.
    Problem with female commentators are unless they have a deep voice like Rula Lenska they struggle when a goal is scored not to sound shrill.
  • Options
    Was his last match today
  • Options

Was his last match today

Shame it will be forever tarnished by being a Palace home win
  • Options
    Just got a special BAFTA award. His acceptance speech was quite funny
  • Options
    He came out with some trite stuff, like that famous but awful comment when Wimbledon won the cup, but he knew his facts and clearly loved the game, unlike Barry Davies.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Great documentary on BBC about dear old Motty. One question that arises from the program; if you going to build your own pub/bar/Man Cave etc why leave the breeze blocks exposed. He's got so much in there, lots of footy memorabilia, Jukebox and retro Fruit Machine but looks cold and uninviting.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b49n0b/motty-the-man-behind-the-sheepskin