Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hurricane Irma.

edited September 2017 in Not Sports Related
The most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin, headed through The Islands and towards the U.S. mainland. Need everybody's fingers crossed, please.

Comments

• 3270 Emulation.
  • Currently has winds of 185mph

Good luck @limeygent
  • 3270 Emulation.

Huh?
  • 3270 Emulation.

IBM dumb terminal? Back to the 80's?
  • limeygent said:

3270 Emulation.

Huh?
    Someone on here old enough will know what i'm talking about.
  • limeygent said:

The most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin, headed through The Islands and towards the U.S. mainland. Need everybody's fingers crossed, please.

Stay safe buddy!
  • edited September 2017

limeygent said:

3270 Emulation.

Huh?
    Someone on here old enough will know what i'm talking about.
    I'm pretty old, late into computers though. Not sure what it's got to do with Irma?
  • Don't they usually tail off and slow down on landfall? I know that didn't happen with Harvey hence the extent of the damage.

Good luck @limeygent

Thanks, my son is in Florida, preparing to evacuate.
  • Don't they usually tail off and slow down on landfall? I know that didn't happen with Harvey hence the extent of the damage.

Winds this high will flatten just about everything in their path. It could travel up the entire East Coast before it slows down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope this is not as bad as it sounds from here. Good luck to anyone involved.
  • Fingers crossed and toes, hope all will be safe.
  • Fingers crossed for everyone ib its path.
  • All the best mate.
  • edited September 2017
    Everything crossed and take care.

Good luck @limeygent

Currently gusting at over 200mph.

Batten down the hatches

• Christ, let's hope it's not too serious.
  • Have friends that live on Long Island & others who are in Florida at the moment.

Thinking of them all tonight.
  • What's the best case scenario at this point? A massive change of direction?
  • edited September 2017

What's the best case scenario at this point? A massive change of direction?

A change in direction could take it into The Gulf, that could be the worst thing that could happen if it gets anywhere near Houston. Anybody's guess right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to all affected.

It did happen with Harvey, hence the extent of the (flood) damage.
  • Hex said:

Don't they usually tail off and slow down on landfall? I know that didn't happen with Harvey hence the extent of the damage.

It did happen with Harvey, hence the extent of the (flood) damage.
    I remember watching shortly after landfall at Rockport I think it was and it was still going full speed.
  • Wife's family live in South West Florida, looks like they are evacuating.
  • Stay safe out there, if it's any consolation about 3,000 people (including me) in the insurance Market in London are praying it's minor and minimal land fall!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents
  • I was in Cuba Sunday night, quite relieved to not be there now. Fingers crossed for those who may be affected
  • I used to live in Florida and still have a lot of friends there. Been speaking to many throughout the day and if there is one bright side to this it's that there is a lot of advanced preparation and people in Florida are pros at this.

Limey hope you're alright. For this thing to make its way up the East Coast would be awful. Thoughts and love with anyone in that part of the world. Desperately hoping it swings east out into the open ocean.
  • Where do the Floridians evacuate to?
    Looks like the path is over most of the state.

Stay safe.
  • MrOneLung said:

Where do the Floridians evacuate to?

Stay safe.

It varies. The further north and the the more centrally you go the better things tend to be. For as bad as the hurricane is now, once it hits lands it immediately starts to weaken. So by the time it gets somewhere like Orlando or Tampa, it's usually the case that the storms have weakened enough to where they can still cause damage, but they're not apocalyptic.

The concern is of course a once in a generation storm that hits land with such ferocity that by the time it gets to somewhere like Tampa, where I have a lot of friends, it is still powerful enough to do a lot of damage. And a city like Tampa, or Gainesville where I used to live, are not as well prepared as areas like the Keys and Miami-Dade county.
  • MrOneLung said:

Where do the Floridians evacuate to?

Stay safe.

Exactly what I just asked the Mrs. Her mum is in a care home so quite vulnerable. My brother in law wants to move her but it takes 4 hours driving north just to get to Orlando from where they are and you're still not out of the woods although at least away from the ocean.