Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insomnia

Does anyone suffer from this and can anyone give any advice? I am reluctant to take sleeping pills.

Find it impossible to switch off when I get in bed and I am lucky if I get 6 hours a night, I know we need less sleep as we get older.

I have tried kalms, Sominex etc none have an effect.

The Mrs has recommended hypnosis.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I had it a while ago and looking back, for me it was very definitely stress related. If it could remotely be stress/anxiety related, speak to someone, the sooner the better.

Pills won't cure insomnia, they'll mask it, better to find the root cause. Do you stay away from electronics/blue light before bed? While i'm sceptical of how much damage this does, checking messages/social media/charlton life could get your brain going.

A bit like a kid, you should try to get into a routine around stuff that relaxes you.

Depends what your GP is like, they could be a good starting point if it's becoming a problem.

I'm no expert, but insomnia is a pain in the arse at best, dangerous at worst so the sooner you address it, the better.
  • Options
    Try to learn some self hypnosis / relaxation techniques. Not an overnight cure (see what I did there) but over a period will have a positive impact. You can find out these techniques online or through a reputable clinical hypnotist. It's quite simple and only demands a few minutes of your time each day.
  • Options
    I've struggled with Insomnia before and like Super Eddie has said above it's about finding the root cause. I don't drink any caffeinated products after midday and I try to cycle 10k minimum everyday (doesn't always happen but I try and get out about 4 times a week). Also on my iPhone I've got a setting that adjusts the screen to warmer temperatures after 10pm, surprisingly, that has helped!
  • Options
    These worked for me:

Lay off alcohol, don't eat a large meal late, reduce lighting before sleep (especially don't stare at a screen), exercise early evening.

• Options
    I was advised:

Eat several hours before you want to go to sleep and then don't eat until breakfast
    Don't drink in the 2 hours before you want to go to sleep
    Have a bath an hour before you want to go to sleep
    Don't watch TV/computer/moblile between the bath and going to bed - the slightly blue light wakes you up
    Go to bed at the same time even if you're not immediatly sleeping so you body gets used to that 'being bedtime'
  • Options
    catch 22 .. the more you worry about not getting to sleep, the more you will remain awake in an anxious state .. anyway, six hours a night could be adequate for your needs
  • Options
    robroy said:

Does anyone suffer from this and can anyone give any advice? I am reluctant to take sleeping pills.

Find it impossible to switch off when I get in bed and I am lucky if I get 6 hours a night, I know we need less sleep as we get older.

I have tried kalms, Sominex etc none have an effect.

The Mrs has recommended hypnosis.

Cheers

6 hours! You lucky, lucky...

Seriously you have my sympathy. I've suffered all my life with poor quality sleep and tried most techniques but not hypnosis so be interested in others experience too. My own sleep patterns are all over the place, sometimes its difficulty getting off, others waking during the night and not getting back off, sometimes waking really early for seemingly no reason. Not always but often it's linked to how busy I am at work and not being able to switch off. Is it the same for you?

Eventually I get so exhausted I do end up sleeping through. Right now I'm about halfway through that cycle and it's getting worse.

Not helping I know but the point I'm making is what works for some doesn't always for others and for me it's become about recognising where I am on that cycle and accepting that whatever I do will just frustrate me further so try to accept it knowing sooner or later it will get better...at least for a night or two anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Struggled with this all throughout University. Was stress anxiety based for me though my lifestyle probably didn't help. Can't stress (get it) enough how much meditation and yoga helped me. Especially the meditation. Was reluctant at first but my best advice would be keep forcing yourself to do it until it becomes natural. Crazy how different breathing techniques etc can have such a calming relaxing effect on the mind.

Meditation has become part of daily routine now and sleep 10 times better than i used to.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the replies people.

@Bournemouth Addick what you have written is pretty much what I have. I run a sales office up north during the week and its non stop, I do find it hard to switch off from that. Coupled with hours on here and watching Netflix etc until late is my downfall. Checking the phone when I wake is always a killer for me, I have stopped doing that and it has helped getting back off.

I do tend to hit the beers hard at a weekend and sundays I sleep well. Its always a monday night that is the worst. More than likely the booze related.

@Cafc95 Will give this a try as I have heard it really does help switch off.

I do think it is stress/worry related.

Working up north in the week makes it hard to visit a GP, they are normally pill happy though.

Will give the meditation a go and start up running again.

Thanks again all for the replies.
  • Options
    I occasionally suffer but my old man has been a chronic insomniac for the best part of 35 years now.

He's been part of research studies, has been a regularly attendee at the London Sleep Clinic for the last 15 years or so. No matter what he did or what they did, my Dad just wouldn't sleep. He could go 5-6 weeks with less than an hour a night and then he might get one or two nights where he'd sleep for 3-4 hours but then it would go back to less than an hour a night again. This has gone on for years. Until about 4 months ago. The London Sleep Clinic got a new academic in and they suggested Dad try this new kind of CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) along with a new drug to alleviate his restless leg syndrome. First night with the new treatment, 8.5 hours sleep. That has been almost a week and half of sleep for him. 4 months later, he's getting around 4-5 hours sleep a night which is a million times better than what he was getting before with the odd night of 6-7 hours thrown in but he does actually stay in bed now, rather than walk round the house, watch TV, eat the contents of the fridge. The main thing is that the restless legs syndrome seems to be under control for the first time in years.

For me, exercise always helped. Apart from when I was doing endurance training late into the evening and then trying to sleep when full on energy products was a recipe for disaster. I used to lay awake wired for hours. Since I got injured last year and still not fully recovered, the quality of my sleep has got progressively worse. I've had some nights where I've slept for 7 hours but I wake up feeling absolutely f*cked. Just can't put my finger on why.
  • Options
    I suffer with insomnia and have for getting on 2 years, sorry don't want to sound negative.

I've never been a good sleeper but at the moment there's a lot of stress in my life, so definitely a major factor.

I've tried sleeping tablets, worked for a bit but ultimately stopped working.

I think there maybe be something in keeping away from all electronic devices, though I don't always.

I think routine might be good but as I always think I'm not going to get to sleep, tend to not follow one.

I do read before switching out the light and this can help.

No obvious solution but hope yours gets sorted soon it's definitely a bummer!

• Options
    i sympathise with you , I do a 6 day shift pattern , 6 early 6 night shift and 6 late on a rolling week , my sleep pattern is all over the place , been doing this for 14 years , constant tension headaches that last days and panic attacks in the middle of the night , I do find that listening to music at a low level while on the sofa in the evenings does guarantee a couple of hours good sleep for me . most of the things suggested above is what I have been told , a case of trial and error , good luck .
  • Options
    My sleeping has gone to pot in the lasat year and I absolutely hate it. No problem going to sleep at but by 4am im pretty much awake. I end up getting up then going back about 7 for another hour and then I feel crap. I'm sat here currently feeling crap. it throws everything out of sync because I cant be bothered to do anything.

I'm told its one of the joys of a woman of my age.... don't say a fecking word any of you!

• Options
    TeslaGirl said:

I was advised:

Eat several hours before you want to go to sleep and then don't eat until breakfast
    Don't drink in the 2 hours before you want to go to sleep
    Have a bath an hour before you want to go to sleep
    Don't watch TV/computer/moblile between the bath and going to bed - the slightly blue light wakes you up
    Go to bed at the same time even if you're not immediatly sleeping so you body gets used to that 'being bedtime'

This is the best advice, i have always sort of suffered from lack of sleep. However it did get slightly better last year when i was getting a routine and getting into bed earlier and winding down. The worst thing is its a habit which is difficult to change, now i go some weeks not sleeping very well to ok but that is likely stress related or keeping myself too alert (phones/TV)

I find if you aren't getting to sleep just go back to sofa watch some tv until you start falling asleep, the worst is when you wake up several times in the night and dont feel like you have had any sleep even though you go to bed earlier than normal.

Summary- Sleep is over-rated :persevere:
  • Options
    Insomnia I wouldn't loose any sleep over it
  • Options
    I found I have had trouble sleeping over the last couple of years, but for some reason, since August I am sleeping better :smiley:

But seriously, I have not slept well since I retired, I go to sleep, but normally wake at about 5am then drift off to sleep until about 6am. finally I get up between 6.30 and 7am. Although I keep myself busy, I rarely feel any problems with not sleeping properly. I just trust my body to know what it is doing
  • Options
    Although I've never had a problem sleeping I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea earlier this year (very heavy snoring & supposedly stop breathing for up to 30 seconds) - I was also getting up 2-3 times a night to go to the loo although I went back to sleep again straight afterwards. I would also nod off watching tv & occasionally during meetings at work !!

I was put on a CPAP machine at night, where I breath oxygen via a tube through my nose & unable to breath through my mouth (weird sensation, a bit like drowning but with air not water).

Ever since then I get a solid 6-7 hours a night. I've not once woken up at night to go to the loo & I don't feel tired during the day at all. Its absolutely magic. The only one downside is that I can't nap during the afternoons & can't have a lie-in - once I'm awake in the morning then that's it. I used to be able to doze on a sat & sun morning but not anymore.

I'd thoroughly recommend it for anyone who has sleeping problems, snoring or tiredness during the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have insomnia occasionally, definitely stress related. Thankfully, my job is only really stressy for a few months each year. Exercise has certainly helped in the past, there's probably some complicated brain chemistry going on with endorphins and wotnot.

Now if only I could find a way to stop having to get up for a pee at 3am every night!
  • Options
    I'd love 6 hours sleep a night !
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

My sleeping has gone to pot in the lasat year and I absolutely hate it. No problem going to sleep at but by 4am im pretty much awake. I end up getting up then going back about 7 for another hour and then I feel crap. I'm sat here currently feeling crap. it throws everything out of sync because I cant be bothered to do anything.

I'm told its one of the joys of a woman of my age.... don't say a fecking word any of you!

Ian's farting keeping you awake?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I have insomnia occasionally, definitely stress related. Thankfully, my job is only really stressy for a few months each year. Exercise has certainly helped in the past, there's probably some complicated brain chemistry going on with endorphins and wotnot.

Now if only I could find a way to stop having to get up for a pee at 3am every night!

I know someone who had that problem and they got some pills from the doctors
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Up at 4am and back to bed by 7am is enough time to squeeze two more spin classes in :wink:
  • Options

Although I've never had a problem sleeping I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea earlier this year (very heavy snoring & supposedly stop breathing for up to 30 seconds) - I was also getting up 2-3 times a night to go to the loo although I went back to sleep again straight afterwards. I would also nod off watching tv & occasionally during meetings at work !!

I was put on a CPAP machine at night, where I breath oxygen via a tube through my nose & unable to breath through my mouth (weird sensation, a bit like drowning but with air not water).

Ever since then I get a solid 6-7 hours a night. I've not once woken up at night to go to the loo & I don't feel tired during the day at all. Its absolutely magic. The only one downside is that I can't nap during the afternoons & can't have a lie-in - once I'm awake in the morning then that's it. I used to be able to doze on a sat & sun morning but not anymore.

I'd thoroughly recommend it for anyone who has sleeping problems, snoring or tiredness during the day.

Couldn't agree more,have been using CPAP machine for the last week and the change in my sleep patterns and lack of snoring is amazing.
  • Options
    Bigmac said:

Couldn't agree more,have been using CPAP machine for the last week and the change in my sleep patterns and lack of snoring is amazing.
    How do you get one of these, what are the conditions you get these? how did you get offered it? i have been to docs a few times in the past and they wouldnt really recommend anything even reluctant to give me sleeping tablets. I also am a heavy snorer (most of the time) :)
  • Options
    Just roll yerself a fat one, you'll sleep like a baby.
  • Options
    If you just want to re-set your body clock after a few sleepless nights 2 x Piriton (The ones that make you sleepy) do the trick.

• Options
    iamdan said:

Having a quick tug before the wife gets into bed usually does the trick for me.

Just get yourself round to see @iamdan tonight @robroy by the looks of it. Sorted.