Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Airport lounges.

More specifically has anyone used the No1 Lounge at Gatwick South recently? Currently £30pp which includes a voucher for premier security also (normally £5). Never paid for lounge access myself until now and not being a big pre-flight drinker that still seems a little steep, even if there's food and drink included in the deal. The reviews are a bit mixed tbh but I'd trust a Lifers opinion more than someone unknown.

Comments

• Options
    Definitely worth it if your flight is delayed by a few hours as mine was.
    Otherwise if you are not a big pre flight drinker there is only so much you can eat so probably not for you.
  • Options
    I'm sure you should be able to get for about £22.50 each
  • Options
    Used it last year, our flight was about 0630 so we were in there early. You get a 'hot' bacon roll or similar, and all the Danish pastries you can eat. unlimited teas / coffee and I seem to remember that you can get a free beer or fizz at the bar there. Overall okay, but as we were leaving it started to fill up and there are limited seats/tables, so much so, that people were standing around.
    The premier security was okay we missed the snaking line and went through relatively quickly.
    Give it a go.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I'm sure you should be able to get for about £22.50 each

Any clues where? Would I have to sign up to a promo codes site or something?

The £30 including the fast track security is the best I can find at the moment.
  • Options
    I used it this year and it does get you away from the airport humdrum and quite relaxing. But then I had quite a few glasses of wine which paid for the ticket.
  • Options
    Only 1 I can find at moment
    We paid £24 3 years ago when going Vegas
    We blagged 2 bacon rolls.
    As DA said unlimited pastries and ours was as much beer as wanted.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Only 1 I can find at moment
    We paid £24 3 years ago when going Vegas
    We blagged 2 bacon rolls.
    As DA said unlimited pastries and ours was as much beer as wanted.

£24 for two bacon rolls, bargain!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More specifically has anyone used the No1 Lounge at Gatwick South recently? Currently £30pp which includes a voucher for premier security also (normally £5). Never paid for lounge access myself until now and not being a big pre-flight drinker that still seems a little steep, even if there's food and drink included in the deal. The reviews are a bit mixed tbh but I'd trust a Lifers opinion more than someone unknown.

I've used the No 1 Lounge at Gatwick while the BA lounge was being refurbed. (I think this was all to do with BA moving from the North to South Terminal - it was last November.) Like you, I'd read the indifferent write ups and was worried that it would not be able to take the additional BA customers and cope. Particularly as some people on Trip Advisor were saying they couldn't get in because it was full!) But, in fairness, it was okay. Sure it's nowhere near as good as the Virgin Lounge and the food/beverage choice seemed more limited. Maybe we got lucky as it was an early flight but it did the job for us.

In summary, I'd say it depends upon your flight time, whether you are long haul and where you are coming from as to whether it's worth the money. I'm paranoid and always worry about what the Dartford Crossing/M25 is going to do to my ETA at the airport and always leave loads of extra time. More often than not, that means I'm at the airport with hours to wile away and find the lounges to be a bit of a haven.

I'm not sure access to fast track through security is much of a bonus feature, it might save you 10 minutes of queuing some days but other times there's not much difference from the regular channels.
  • Options
    Gatwick South Lounges are a nightmare. If you have an access pass like me, you will constantly find them claim to be fully booked - only for someone behind you and pay for admission. They will say that to avoid over-booking, you can reserve a place online for £20 extra - what a con.

Just for this reason - I try never to use the South terminal if I can help it - and I fly a lot.
    North terminal is different gravy - choice of 3 lounges - never any problem.
  • Options
    We booked it at Antalya airport on the way home last year. Think it was about £40 each but well worth it. When we arrived they were queueing outside the terminal at check in. Went straight through check in/security etc and was sitting in the lounge less than 15 minutes after getting off the coach.
  • Options
    You can get number one for £25 and 1,000 avois.
  • Options
    Isnt there a card that gives you access to Lounges throughout the world.?
  • Options

PriorityPass

A good investment if you travel regularly....
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    1st class lounge in Doha aint to shabby mate---ExxonMobil picked up those bills tho ---nice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1st class lounge in Doha aint to shabby mate---ExconMobil picked up those bills tho ---nice

Used that a couple of years back when a client paid. Not a difficult airport to circumnavigate anyway but piss easy when travelling first.
  • Options

I always use them brilliant for the kids to watch the planes through their big windows , pre booking a booth or table area for you and the gang, fast track security , food and beer included , I like to arrive at an airport a good couple of hours prior to departure so I ain't stressed and rushing , this just adds to the holiday

Yep, that's it in a nutshell for me too.
  • Options
    I've got a travel plus pass via Barclays, lounges are definitely worth it, this gives you 6 visits per year home or abroad.
  • Options

clb74 said:
    Top man @clb74 ! Booked at £22.50 which still includes the fast track security, which is a fiver on it's own. By the time we've eaten something, had a few coffees and soft drinks and my missus has wiped them out of magazines at £4 a pop they'll be begging us to leave.

Main factor is really that my wife's mobility isn't great at the moment. Already had her hip replaced and it's looking like the knee's gone now too, so she's likely to be using a crutch and she's in a lot of pain if she stands for even relatively short periods. We've paid for fast track security in the past at Stansted which has worked out well given the queues at the time, so we were probably always going to do that anyway.

Thanks again.
    You have got a tastecard though Bournemouth
  • Options
    How the other half live !!!

Enjoy @Bournemouth Addick
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Get 6 free lounge visits a year through my bank account. Barclays have a deal with Dragon Pass. Always use them.
  • Options

Get 6 free lounge visits a year through my bank account. Barclays have a deal with Dragon Pass. Always use them.

How many people can enter with you @Clem_Snide ? Looked at getting the bank account in the past. This the £15 per month account?
  • Options

Yes, my missus has one. Its called My Debit card. ;)
    She bought a raffle type ticket for a Ferrari in Dubai airport at £25 and won a lounge pass as some sort of prize. Their lounges are fantastic unfortunately our flight was only 2 hours waiting time so we didn't get my monies worth.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:
    Top man @clb74 ! Booked at £22.50 which still includes the fast track security, which is a fiver on it's own. By the time we've eaten something, had a few coffees and soft drinks and my missus has wiped them out of magazines at £4 a pop they'll be begging us to leave.

Main factor is really that my wife's mobility isn't great at the moment. Already had her hip replaced and it's looking like the knee's gone now too, so she's likely to be using a crutch and she's in a lot of pain if she stands for even relatively short periods. We've paid for fast track security in the past at Stansted which has worked out well given the queues at the time, so we were probably always going to do that anyway.

Thanks again.
    You have got a tastecard though Bournemouth
    Eh?
  • Options
    A lot of the packaged bank accounts offer this free. Just need to book ahead usually via their concierge service.

They are useful in that can get nice and comfy, read paper, have a beer wine coffee or whatever and something to eat without the usual scrum for the hard seats and an overpriced coffee and croissant in Pret.