Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JOSH MAGENNIS .. Thoughts After the Weekend Game

Comments

• My major concern when Josh is playing for N.IRELAND is that he does not pick up an injury.
    That said he took his two goals well and that can only do his confidence a lot of good.
  • My major concern when Josh is playing for N.IRELAND is that he does not pick up an injury.
    That said he took his two goals well and that can only do his confidence a lot of good.

HADO
  • The potential for injury is always my concern also, after Saturday I was a little happier with our options.
  • So pleased he's our player.
  • Best thing Slade did for the club (beside the table cloths) was bring in big Josh.
  • Best thing Slade did for the club (beside the table cloths) was bring in big Josh.

Best thing Slade did for the club (beside the table cloths) was bring in big Josh.

I thought Driesden went over to the Euros last year and spotted him?
  • He is such an important player for us.
  • We see what we got in big Josh from Kilmarnock but yet many don't seem to be able to believe Joe Dodoo can be as good even though he's from a much bigger club?? Confused
  • Taxi_Lad said:

We see what we got in big Josh from Kilmarnock but yet many don't seem to be able to believe Joe Dodoo can be as good even though he's from a much bigger club?? Confused

Magennis played 1/2 more games than Dodoo has though...

Being from a bigger club means nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• But he was dismissed by many just because he's from the Scottish Prem which is considered an inferior league
  • Taxi_Lad said:

But he was dismissed by many just because he's from the Scottish Prem which is considered an inferior league

Well it is an inferior league, doesn't mean it doesn't have any decent players.

Thing with Magennis is that his goalscoring record wasn't that great. People have warned to his overall ability despite there still being doubts over how prolific he can be.

The doubts over Dodoo is that he is surplus to requirements and extremely inexperienced.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

But he was dismissed by many just because he's from the Scottish Prem which is considered an inferior league

Josh Magennis came to us as a full international, with almost 200 professional club appearances under his belt, in the prime years of his career, and the general consensus from Kilmarnock fans that he'd be playing at a much higher level if he could finish. We've seen that, his link up play and work rate is good but he isn't prolific. Joe Dodoo, while possibly being a great find, had only played 25 games, 4 as a starter, at senior level and scored 4 prior to joining us. The widely held opinion is that we needed a quality, goalscoring striker to rival Mag, and after being linked with players like Grigg/Taylor/Godden, Dodoo was a bit of an anticlimax, especially as he is now our second striker for when Mag is with Northern Ireland. He may be a great find from KR and the scouting team, but he's a wildcard and it's a risk. On a separate note I see Mavididi is playing England youth football, can see why KR wanted him back as he'd have put us over the threshold to call off our games on international weekends.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Josh got 20 plus goals this season.
  • edited September 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh got 20 plus goals this season.

He'll certainly get more opportunities to score (per game) than he did last season.

Dodoo (the 'Do' rhymes with Joe I think) will be fun to watch this year. Could be a good signing. Have to say, the current scouts/KR haven't exactly be signing duds recently.
  • Song for Joe .. Da Doo Ron Ron .. we need an accomplished lyricist to place some appropriate words
    https://youtu.be/zoMnjXZpcIw
  • JamesSeed said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh got 20 plus goals this season.

He'll certainly get more opportunities to score (per game) than he did last season.

Dodoo (the 'Do' rhymes with Joe I think) will be fun to watch this year. Could be a good signing. Have to say, the current scouts/KR haven't exactly be signing duds recently.
    https://experimental361.com/2017/08/27/which-efl-attackers-look-the-most-impressive-so-far/

Not much data to go on but so far he's doing well.

• What's Frank Nouble doing on that goalscorers chart?

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Oggy Red said:

What's Frank Nouble doing on that goalscorers chart?

Scoring goals? :smiley: Was unlucky with another great effort on Saturday which hit the post beans on toast. Takes a long time to recover from being Charltonised :wink:
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Josh Magennis came to us as a full international, with almost 200 professional club appearances under his belt, in the prime years of his career, and the general consensus from Kilmarnock fans that he'd be playing at a much higher level if he could finish. We've seen that, his link up play and work rate is good but he isn't prolific. Joe Dodoo, while possibly being a great find, had only played 25 games, 4 as a starter, at senior level and scored 4 prior to joining us. The widely held opinion is that we needed a quality, goalscoring striker to rival Mag, and after being linked with players like Grigg/Taylor/Godden, Dodoo was a bit of an anticlimax, especially as he is now our second striker for when Mag is with Northern Ireland. He may be a great find from KR and the scouting team, but he's a wildcard and it's a risk. On a separate note I see Mavididi is playing England youth football, can see why KR wanted him back as he'd have put us over the threshold to call off our games on international weekends.
    This. Also the fact that he isn't a direct replacement for Josh if he misses out. Karl said he is here to provide us a different option, I read that at rangers and in youth football he has been best as part of a 2 up front or as a wide player. I think he can be very good and a useful player to have. But he will be asked to lead the line for us whenever we don't have Josh. I hope it works but I worry it won't be playing to his strengths.
  • Starting again tonight pleaseeeeee don't get injured!
  • Taxi_Lad said:

This. Also the fact that he isn't a direct replacement for Josh if he misses out. Karl said he is here to provide us a different option, I read that at rangers and in youth football he has been best as part of a 2 up front or as a wide player. I think he can be very good and a useful player to have. But he will be asked to lead the line for us whenever we don't have Josh. I hope it works but I worry it won't be playing to his strengths.
    If Karlan has done his Hamstring he could be out for a few weeks... If so Id be surprised if Dodoo doesnt at least replace KAG on bench and as impact sub if he doesnt come on for Josh it'll be for Fosu or Holmes etc.
  • Starting again tonight pleaseeeeee don't get injured!

Anybody watching the game. My Czech buddy says his lot are terrified every time the Irish attack
  • Looks like Josh is going to play the full 90. Great win for them if it stays this way.
  • Subbed on 84 mins hopefully tactical.
  • Subbed on 84 mins hopefully tactical.

Now wrap him in cotton wool until Saturday
  • Hopefully not too tired, as we have a busy schedule coming up