Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crofts released by mutual consent

Robinson revealed no direct replacement is lined up for the veteran, who is set to join a new club soon.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/15509001.Charlton_midfielder_leaves_club_by_mutual_consent/

Relying on at least one of Dijksteel, Lapslie, Charles-Cook or Maloney to step up then.

Or KR will look into bringing in Josh Wright?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    more wage easing and weakening of squad, or like with Novak, getting into a corner of letting a player go without being able to bring in a direct replacement?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

lol you got your wish then, Leuthy!

• Options
    What happened to two players for every position and a 3rd choice striker?

Dodoo would have meant we had the 23 man squad, now its 21 with Novak and Crofts going. Admittedly, not particularly bothered about either, but it's just further proof that youngsters will be chucked in.

Lapslie and Hackett-Fairchild are their replacements, still a huge risk for a club with a top 6 budget hoping to go up!
  • Options
    Makes you wonder why he activated the clause for an extra year in his contract.
  • Options
    I make us short in CB or CM, or does this mean Lapslie will step up?

Bauer/Sarr
    Pearce/Konsa

Kashi/?
    JFC/Aribo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice of him to just walk away from his contract with no pay-off.

Oh...... what's that you say?

He wasn't the best player and not one for the future but when not suspended Robinson was picking him on the bench and bringing him on so was clearly seen as offering something.

I think that leaves us 22 senior players now.
  • Options
    Ross said:

To make sure he got paid, just in case he couldn't find another club.

• Options
    Got loads of central midfielders better than Crofts, won't be missed, if we get josh wright in too then that is even better
  • Options

cabbles said:

Not a loss at all. We have good cover in that area with Konsa and Aribo. This is a positive for me

Much as I like them as players, you need experience in the squad and the balance has been shifted recklessly against that in the last 24 hours.
    I don't disagree airman. They've definitely done things on the cheap again and that is no more evident than the striker situation, and yes I don't like the over reliance on the youth, it was more taking this particular call in isolation. For me Crofts is a poor player, so I'm pleased he's gone
  • Options
    Ross said:

He probably thought he would still be a regular this season, how many people expected Kashi to be playing for us this season!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ross said:

Contracts get terminated by mutual consent when the club say "We'll give you £X to mutually consent your contract"
  • Options
    maybe just maybe it gives us the opportunity to bolster the squad with another out of contract striker
  • Options

Bauer/Sarr
    Pearce/Konsa

Kashi/?
    JFC/Aribo

Admittedly, despite being very frustrated in the last 24 hours, I don't think we are light in either of those areas.

CB - we have Konsa, Lennon, Sarr, Bauer, Pearce
    CM - Kashi, Konsa, Aribo, JFC, Lapslie, Dijksteel, Jackson

Possibly Reeves dropping into CM with Clarke the number 10.
  • Options
    Unless someone else is about to come in this makes little sense to me. Much like the rest of the business done in the past month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jesus fuck. Only with this lot can you lose a player after the bloody transfer window closes. I was actually quite happy with Crofts' role in our squad this season. He was experienced back up who you imagine would be useful to have around the place for the younger players. We weren't reliant on him like last season but he was a decent option to have. It's all very well Robinson saying we have other midfielders but in Kashi we have a player who has a storied history of getting very bad injuries; we can't be expecting him to play 50 games this season, and I don't see Konsa or Aribo filling that defensive holding role as effectively for an extended period.

There's no new players in that midfield list, so we must have known we were going to sod him off the whole time. Why wait until after the window closed? I never thought there would be a day where I was annoyed to see Andrew bloody Crofts go but they've found probably the only way to make it damaging.

A lot of players get released this way just before the window closes, so that they are able to get a new club as free agents

The exception was Leyton Orient who disgracefully last year released Dean Cox on the 1st September, thus ensuring he couldn't play for a new club until the 1st January
  • Options
    I do think we will make a signing.

Out of interest, would people want Wright or Lambert?

Still Lambert for me, think we could cover CM, even if it does rely on a talented youngster like Dijksteel or Lapslie
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Bauer/Sarr
    Pearce/Konsa

Kashi/?
    JFC/Aribo

Dijksteel with Konsa as another option when not playing elsewhere.

Lapslie's more of an alternative to JFC/Aribo or even Clarke/Reeves.

Not lacking numbers but lacking experience - though these players are 19-21, not 17/18 like when KAG was first thrown in a few years back.

Wouldn't be surprised if we signed Wright though.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Ross said:

Contracts get terminated by mutual consent when the club say "We'll give you £X to mutually consent your contract"
    Even then at his age, he's not going to risk not having a club ..... unless he's already got one lined up.

• Options
    did a decent job for us .. little hope of a first team spot .. he can spend the last few months of his playing career with (perhaps) a smaller club and get (perhaps) into coaching .. farewell Andrew and all the best .. EXCEPT .. against us ((:>)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Ross said:

Even then at his age, he's not going to risk not having a club ..... unless he's already got one lined up.

Sure he has got a club lined up but he would still have been paid off.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Bauer/Sarr
    Pearce/Konsa

Kashi/?
    JFC/Aribo

Dijksteel with Konsa as another option when not playing elsewhere.

Lapslie's more of an alternative to JFC/Aribo or even Clarke/Reeves.

Not lacking numbers but lacking experience - though these players are 19-21, not 17/18 like when KAG was first thrown in a few years back.

Wouldn't be surprised if we signed Wright though.
    I'd be surprised if we signed Wright, I imagine he's demand higher wages than Crofts as well, and he still would be just a backup

Midfield is one area where we have a number of decent younger players, so I have no problem giving them more gametime
  • Options
    lolwray said:

maybe just maybe it gives us the opportunity to bolster the squad with another out of contract striker

Strikers are always at a premium. What sort of player do you get when you're looking for unemployed ones in September?

Charlton's recruitment fuckwittery continues unabated.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Ross said:

Sure he has got a club lined up but he would still have been paid off.
    maybe just maybe they are clearing out to make the club more attractive to a purchaser
  • Options

Jesus fuck. Only with this lot can you lose a player after the bloody transfer window closes. I was actually quite happy with Crofts' role in our squad this season. He was experienced back up who you imagine would be useful to have around the place for the younger players. We weren't reliant on him like last season but he was a decent option to have. It's all very well Robinson saying we have other midfielders but in Kashi we have a player who has a storied history of getting very bad injuries; we can't be expecting him to play 50 games this season, and I don't see Konsa or Aribo filling that defensive holding role as effectively for an extended period.

There's no new players in that midfield list, so we must have known we were going to sod him off the whole time. Why wait until after the window closed? I never thought there would be a day where I was annoyed to see Andrew bloody Crofts go but they've found probably the only way to make it damaging.

A lot of players get released this way just before the window closes, so that they are able to get a new club as free agents

The exception was Leyton Orient who disgracefully last year released Dean Cox on the 1st September, thus ensuring he couldn't play for a new club until the 1st January
    Generally those are teams who have sufficient numbers to do that though. If we'd brought in a replacement defensive midfielder in the window then this would make perfect sense. We didn't though. Feels less like letting him go because he's surplus to requirements and more like trimming the wage bill again. Maybe we'll pick up a free player to replace him in the next few days but I don't know how many free players there are around who would be much of an upgrade