Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sitcoms

Comments

• Options

Watched this the other night, despite not being a Ben Elton fan (politics) and him looking remarkably like Tony B-Liar nowadays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b092l7pq/the-ronnie-barker-comedy-lecture-with-ben-elton

It was interesting and made some good points about sit-coms. Put my foot through the TV whenever Miranda was mentioned but...

He's a good writer is Ben Elton

Thing with situation comedies is that they are bloody hard to get right. Some I find so bad they are offensive. Citizen Khan was/is so bad I thought it was a parody whereas whilst Miranda isn't to my taste my missus finds it funny and I see that what she does (Miranda) can appeal to a demoraphic.

Phoenix nights is another one, I absolutely loved it having drunk and attended events at similar places and actually having drunk in the place it was filmed at Bolton away years ago it isn't hard to see where the observations were made and that tickled me. Besides that I think Peter Kay is a brilliant comic actor, so much more to him than shouting "garlic bread" just by raising his eyes he can get me going.

I liked Gavin & Stacey but I didn't like the smithy character as much as a lot of people did. I thought Ruth Jones and Rob Brydons turns in that were what made it so funny
  • Options
    Very few comedies "stand the test of time" as they say.
    Some old comedies which were apparently extremely popular years ago don't even raise a hint of a smile in repeats.
    Only fools still has people belly laughing after 20/30 repeat views.
  • Options

Should have ended with the watch. Up to that point, it was consistently the funniest thing ever screened on British TV.

So true.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Watched this the other night, despite not being a Ben Elton fan (politics) and him looking remarkably like Tony B-Liar nowadays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b092l7pq/the-ronnie-barker-comedy-lecture-with-ben-elton

It was interesting and made some good points about sit-coms. Put my foot through the TV whenever Miranda was mentioned but...

He's a good writer is Ben Elton

Thing with situation comedies is that they are bloody hard to get right. Some I find so bad they are offensive. Citizen Khan was/is so bad I thought it was a parody whereas whilst Miranda isn't to my taste my missus finds it funny and I see that what she does (Miranda) can appeal to a demoraphic.

Phoenix nights is another one, I absolutely loved it having drunk and attended events at similar places and actually having drunk in the place it was filmed at Bolton away years ago it isn't hard to see where the observations were made and that tickled me. Besides that I think Peter Kay is a brilliant comic actor, so much more to him than shouting "garlic bread" just by raising his eyes he can get me going.

I liked Gavin & Stacey but I didn't like the smithy character as much as a lot of people did. I thought Ruth Jones and Rob Brydons turns in that were what made it so funny
    I didn't like Smithy the first time around, but on second viewing I did, weirdly. He's that mate you know is annoying but you also know he's harmless and means well.

Phoenix Nights was brilliant - I really like Car Share too.

Nothing tops OFAH though - saw one the other day I'd somehow missed about Grandad getting arrested in Spain, and this bit had me in stitches:

Rodney: You were gun running during the Spanish Civil War?!
    Grandad: Well that's the best time to do it, Rodney.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Best 5 British Sitcoms:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) Porridge
    3) The Office
    4) Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?
    5) Dad's Army

There you are, that's that sorted.

I'd take out number 4 and stick in Steptoe and Son.
  • Options

I also watched the Ronnie-Barker-Comedy-Lecture.
    Very disappointed, was mainly Elton spouting on about
    his own shows not much about Ronnie Barker at all.
    Should have realised can't stand the narsisestic Elton at all.

I think that is just the name given to the lectures in remembrance of RB the great man. It was the inaugural in what will be yearly lectures by guest speakers.
  • Options
    "Arthur's ashes" weren't that the guy that won Wimbledon?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Best 5 British Sitcoms:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) Porridge
    3) The Office
    5) Dad's Army

(1) Dads Army
    (2) Only Fools and Horses
    (3) Fawlty Towers
    (4) Porridge

Didnt ever really watch any others (Not that I can think of at the moment anyway)
  • Options
    Just before Del falls through the bar he tells Trigger that the the birds in here love talking about money. So Trigger walks up to a couple of them & tells them he found an old £5 note the other day.
  • Options
    Of classics not already mentioned, Father Ted was great too. Also enjoyed Some mothers do ave em and keeping up appearances.
    More modern ones, Peep Show, Inbetweeners, Nighty Night.
  • Options
    Benidorm deserves a mention for modern situation comedies, another one that observes people very well
  • Options
    Early Doors.
  • Options

Early Doors.

Classic

Smoking room was good.

Porridge my number 1
  • Options
    Dinnerladies
  • Options

Dinnerladies

Liked that too
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Riviera said:

Best 5 British Sitcoms:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) Porridge
    3) The Office
    5) Dad's Army

Apart from:

Steptoe and Son
    Rising Damp
    The Likely Lads
    Father Ted (Irish)
    Outnumbered
    The Young Ones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Royle Family
  • Options

Just before Del falls through the bar he tells Trigger that the the birds in here love talking about money. So Trigger walks up to a couple of them & tells them he found an old £5 note the other day.

Brilliant.

I love it when he says his Dad died a couple of years before he was born.

That and the "What's Dave then, some sort of nickname?" scene.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

It's good but it's no Fawlty towers.

Cant watch Fawlty Towers now, I find it cringeworthy, when first on I though it was superb... its a bit odd, I suppose it must be over familiarity but I can still watch old Monty Pythons, Porridges, etc and no probs.
  • Options

The only sitcom that comes close to Only Fools has got to be Miranda

that one line is funnier than Miranda Hart's entire career
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are the 1st person I know that does not like it. It is the best show on tv. It's funny but can also made you feel emotional the two things that stand out his Grandad's funeral with the hat and when Rodney has a breakdown in the lift just after he loses his baby.
    Derek1952 said:

Just seen The Story of only Fools and Horses on t.v.Does any one else not find fools and horses funny.Stupidity and Slapstick never found amusing.

• Options
    Halix said:

It's good but it's no Fawlty towers.

Cant watch Fawlty Towers now, I find it cringeworthy, when first on I though it was superb... its a bit odd, I suppose it must be over familiarity but I can still watch old Monty Pythons, Porridges, etc and no probs.
    Astounded!
    I watch them regularly and laugh and laugh and laugh. Got my kids into them. The comedy is timeless even if the set and costumes are not. Perfectly crafted British farce. I have them on VHS, DVD, i-tunes on my SkyQ planner.