Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EXETER 1 CHARLTON 2 - 8th August 2017 (Carabao Cup 1st round)

edited September 2017 in General Charlton

EXETER 1 (Holmes 54) CHARLTON 2 (Clarke 73, Charles-Cook 79)

Attendance 2,699 (308 Charlton)

Exeter Pym, Sweeney, James (c), Archibald-Henville (Jay 81), Tillson, Holmes, McAlinden, Croll, Taylor, Reid (Brunt 82), Brown.

Charlton Phillips, Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Jackson (c), Crofts, Aribo, Charles-Cook, Reeves (Clarke 59), Ahearne-Grant, Watt (Hackett-Fairchild 67).

Summary

Despite making 11 changes to his starting eleven and bizarrely being drawn twice in the draw, Karl Robinson's men moved into the 2nd round of the cup coming from a goal down to beat League 2 Exeter. For the second consecutive game, Charlton were reduced to 10 men, with Crofts seeing red in the 83rd minute.

Post Match comments

Robinson: “We had seven academy graduates on the pitch today and some of the play was excellent. The players were very, very good. Their attitude was exceptional and, again, our shape was very good. But the only disappointing thing was for me was that I thought we should have won the game by three or four in the first half. We missed too many chances. Games like today, against a very good League Two side in front of a very hostile crowd at times, are a tremendous learning curve for all those young players and they’ve come through it with flying colours.”

Charles-Cook: “Bow was just telling me before the game to keep everything low and I did just that. I saw my opportunity, kept it low and passed it into the net.“It’s a great feeling to go to bed with. I’m very happy. I’m a lot more confident and the loan at Solihull taught me a lot. It got the goalscoring part of my game back because I went there and scored a few goals and came into the new season confident and raring to go. I’m happy that the gaffer gave me the opportunity. He told me to express myself and I’m happy with my performance.”

Hackett-Fairchild
: I wasn’t expecting the gaffer to call me on as early as he did, but when he did I just thought to myself to be confident. I came out, had a couple of chances and should have scored, but it was a great day and I enjoyed it. It leaves me 100 per cent hungry and it’s given me a lot more confidence going into my next game if I’m given the chance.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Ahearne-Grant = 8.20
Aribo = 8.00
Dijksteel = 8.00
Phillips = 7.70
Clarke = 7.70
Konsa = 7.50
Charles-Cook= 7.30
Sarr = 6.80
Reeves = 6.30
Crofts = 6.10
Jackson = 5.60