Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ho'way The Lads - Sep 11th at White Swan pub, - Jimmy Seed Documentry

2»

Comments

• Options
    Two days to go. Only 40 places available.

Sep 11th at White Swan pub, SE7

HA'WAY THE LADS, a drama documentary about the early life of Jimmy Seed.

Doors 6.45pm, film 8pm. With @CHATHMuseum

Q&A after the film.

Hope to see some of you there!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Toad in the hole thread 2.5K views, this thread 622 views. Just shows what a long time ago the Seed era was.

Should have called it "Seed In The Hole"...

Would have triggered about 50 filthy posts from @DaveMehmet alone :wink:
  • Options
    Hope to see some of you tomorrow. Always hard to know how many people turn up on these occasions.
    Looking forward to seeing a decent quality recording of the film for the first time since 1976!
  • Options
    Unable to pop along but hope you get a decent turnout.
  • Options
    Hoping to get in to this. Is there a special function room at the White Swan for this?
  • Options
    In case you're coming to the White Swan tonight.
    Jimmy Seed having just signed for Sunderland aged 18, and John Bowler playing Jimmy in a Sunderland trial.
    It's a good likeness.

• Options
    I will be there and will have copies of the book ' when football was football , Charlton 100 years. If anybody wants one , £10 cash.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well that was a very enjoyable evening. The film was relatively true to life, albeit with a few artistic licences. @JamesSeed showed us some interesting photos to illustrate the story and he is obviously rightly proud and very fond of his grandfather. He read out a really nice email from the actor who played Jimmy Seed which showed that he had done his research into the story and that it resonated with him. 'Twas nice to meet some Addick addicts there,
    it was good to meet you again, but sorry for not buying a book @charltonnick, I'm travelling light! Anyone reading this who has not been down to the Museum, get down there quick. It's fascinating and this club has a great history to be celebrated.
  • Options
    I was hoping to make this but circumstances intervened to prevent my attendance.

Glad the evening went well.
  • Options
    Very nice evening thanks to Ben, Jim and Steve H for sorting it out. Made me even prouder to have a stand named after Jimmy, the setbacks and adversity he had growing up, he was a special man. Up the Addicks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To top the evening off Jim got a great email from the actor who played Jimmy Seed just before we started.

Hope he copies and pastes it here
  • Options
    What a fantastic email! Hopefully if there's another screening he might be able to attend.
  • Options
    Let is know about costs and let's get a better copy. Might contact the Sunderland museum.

Would love to show it in the Museum or Bartrams sometime.

Great email
  • Options
    great email, had to look up who John Bowler was - but definitely recognise him now, nice touch for him to take the time to send that.
  • Options
    Such a wonderful email! Delighted to hear the evening was such a success. I'd love to see the film some day.

Maybe we could persuade Gemma Arterton to help with a modern-day remake or sequel, seeing as she is a Charlton fan, actor and producer?!
  • Options
    John Bowler's a lookalikee for Ian Wallis.
  • Options
    As someone who saw the original broadcast and remembered it's storyline pretty well I was sorry to have missed the repeat showing on Monday. To my reasonable knowledge it was only screened the once. Even the very best plays etc were rarely repeated in those days.

Would be happy to contribute to any costs involved in trying to obtain a better copy.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Another very interesting email from John Bowler. I knew there were three films, but I hadn't realised they were connected. It's obvious that the role meant a lot to John. Fantastic.

[@Tramp I'll contact Freemantle and see about the ins and outs of creating a better copy from the 16mm original.]

Hi Jim,

I’m sorry to have taken such a long time to reply to this email – I have been ‘disconnected’ from the world for most of the day! (Quite nice in many ways)
    I am pleased that the screening went well and delighted (and relieved!) that you enjoyed my portrayal of the young Jimmy. Thank you for the photo of Jimmy – I had forgotten that I bore such a close resemblance to him.!
    It reminded me of my first meeting with Frank Cvitanovich, who noticed the likeness straight away, and kept pictures of Jimmy with him throughout the filming schedule.
    Your Mum also mentions the “uncanny” likeness in her letter to me in 1976. And please accept my humble apologies for calling her Grace in my last email instead of Gladys. Her lovely letter is full of “Grace”.

I have a DVD copy of the film which I got transferred last year from an old U Matic tape Frank gave me 40 years ago but the quality is, as you can imagine, very poor! So, yes please, I would love a copy of the DVD -and I am very happy to pay for the postage!

A little bit of info that you may not be aware of is that ‘Ha’way the Lads’ was the first in a series of 3 films about football that Frank Cvitanovich made. There was a thread linking them from Jimmy to the modern game of 1976. The second film was about the wily young manager Terry Venables who was ‘discovered’ by the flamboyant Malcolm Allison who had been ‘discovered’ by the innovative Jimmy Seed. The 3rd Film was about Vince Hilaire, an exciting 17 year old black footballer at Crystal Palace who was ‘discovered’ by Terry Venables and was hotly tipped in 1976 to be the First Black Player to win a Senior Cap for England . (Vince was a terrific young player but Viv Anderson pipped him to that accolade in 1978.)

Ahh, I remember the series now.
    And what a nice bloke, John Bowler is, thanks for sharing the emails with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also played as Howard the Architect in the 2nd Series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

"Get the percolator on Dennis"

"You know the difference between a hedgehog and a Range Rover divint ya?.....
  • Options
    Although I remembered much of the Jimmy Seed play, I don't remember anything of the two follows although it is likely I watched them.

I saw Venables captain England Schoolboys (alongside other future full Internationals, Barry Bridges and Peter Thompson), against a Scottish team captained by Billy Bremner. Also saw his debut as a 16 year old against West Ham. He was talked about as being the next Duncan Edwards, something he didn't quite manage. As a teenager he also sang with the Joe Loss Band at the Hammersmith Palais, one of the biggest entertainment venues at that time. He was also the only player to have been capped at the five England levels available at the time, Schoolboys, Youth, Amateur, Under 23s and Full.