Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich v Charlton | Tue 22 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Norwich City v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 22nd August 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Football League Cup – Second Round

Introduction

Fresh from a comfortable 4-1 over Northampton Town on Saturday, the confidence amongst the Charlton squad must have gone a considerable bit higher with impressive performances from all areas on the pitch… We now take a break from the Valley though with our next four matches all happening away from South East London, the first of these sees us returning to League Cup action as we take a trip into East Anglia where we find ourselves facing Championship opposition in Norwich City.

The Opposition
Name: Norwich City | Manager: Daniel Farke
Ground: Carrow Road

If our opponents this Tuesday night sound familiar then its because we’ve already played them this season, last month; Norwich visited the Valley and in our penultimate friendly took home the bragging rights as the Canaries ran out 2-0 victors… Since the season began its been a slow start from our opponents who have picked up just the one victory (a 2-0 home win against Queens Park Rangers) so a cup run to increase confidence might just be what’s needed.

In the last round; Norwich overcame their League Two opponents (Swindon Town) with a 3-2 victory… the team from that day not overly different to the one that lost 4-2 at Aston Villa last weekend so wholesale changes shouldn’t be expected… Angus Gunn (son of Norwich legend: Bryan) should start in goal whilst Nelson Oliveira who grabbed one of the goals at the Valley during pre-season could be rewarded with a start after twice scoring from the bench this season.

Charlton Team News
Charlton on the other hand will certainly be hoping that opposing fans will be shouting “For Farke’s sake” rather than “Thank Farke for that” as we look to make a rare advancement to the third round of this competition… In the last round; Karl Robinson’s side came from behind to record a 2-1 victory at Exeter with the fringe players being heavily involved and you’d expect the same again.

In his post match comments after Northampton; Robinson confirmed that Ben Reeves wont be fit until next weekend so his continued absence should be expected whilst Dhillon Phillips will no doubt start between the sticks… Lee Novak has now completed his red card suspension so could feature, yet Andrew Crofts will still be missing as he serves the last of his three match ban!!

Phillips
Barnes | Konsa | Sarr | Jackson
Dijksteel | Aribo
Charles-Cook | Clarke | Ahearne-Grant
Novak

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Bauer | Kennedy | Holmes | Umerah | Hackett-Fairchild | Magennis

Prediction
With Charlton relying on youth rather than experience I see this as being a huge (but useful) learning curve for the young-Addicks which might just be one step too far.… Norwich having made a poor start to their season will need a victory to kick them into gear and defeat for the Canaries could see the Manager getting nervous even at this early stage

Comments

• Options
    would like to win this as do like a cup run, i know thats a rarety being a charlton fan but would love to get through and get any of chelsea, arsenal, spurs, west ham away, on the other hand we have a paper thin squad and we need to concentrate on the league to get out of this awful league.
  • Options
    Canaries will score 1 but we will score 12 more than them. 1- 13 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    Robinson said that Clarke and Fosu will be starting. I can also see Aribo (who seems the forgotten man by many) playing instead of Forster-Caskey.

We'll lose but it will allow us to focus on the main aim for a little while.
  • Options
    Farke it 2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    edited August 2017

First Team:
    Amos
    Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Barnes
    Forster-Caskey | Kashi
    Charles-Cook | Jackson | Ahearne-Grant
    Novak

Substitutes Bench:
    Phillips | Bauer | Solly | Holmes | Umerah | Hackett-Fairchild | Clarke | Magennis

3-2
  • Options
    Don't think we will win but I'm hoping we make them work for it though! 2-1 (KAG)

Obviously I would like to be proven wrong!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Phillips
    Barnes | Konsa | Sarr | Jackson
    Dijksteel | Forster-Caskey
    Charles-Cook | Clarke | Ahearne-Grant
    Novak

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Bauer | Kennedy | Holmes | Umerah | Hackett-Fairchild | Magennis
    Kennedy is out for the season with an ACL.
  • Options
    Totally out of character...

2-3 to the Addicks!
  • Options
    Sage said:

Robinson said that Clarke and Fosu will be starting. I can also see Aribo (who seems the forgotten man by many) playing instead of Forster-Caskey.

FFS... Completely forgot about Aribo... I've added him now in place of Forster-Caskey
  • Options
    Sage said:

Yeah feel bad for Aribo as @ForeverAddickted has missed him out completely. Also, Kennedy did his cruciate and is out for the season.

Can't remember if Robinson said Fosu and Clarke would start or play. Either way, I don't always trust his team announcements made in advance and I think he'll keep one in reserve.

...... Phillips
    Barnes.. Konsa... Sarr... Jackson
    ......... Aribo...... Dijksteel
    Charles-Cook.... Clarke..... KAG
    ............... Novak

Bench: AMB, Bowry, Doughty, Lapslie, Fosu, Hackett-Fairchild, Umerah
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Novak apparently wants to go I would play Umehra or RHF up front.
  • Options

Don't think we will win but I'm hoping we make them work for it though! 2-1 (KAG)

You will be wrong, KAG won't score.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You will be wrong, KAG won't score.

Haha im not 100% he will score but I think he is a due a goal!
  • Options
    44 Appearances, 3 goals, 3 assists.

I'd say he's due at least 20 this season please...

COME ON KARLAN, Pull up your socks mate!
  • Options
    Exciting times, tomorrow night represents our best chance of reaching Wembley since Roland sabotaged our FA Cup quarter final at Bramall Lane. A victory over Norwich and we earn ourselves a 1 in 31 chance of drawing Spurs in the 3rd round, and a 50/50 chance of being drawn away. I'm feeling quite confident about are chances as well - Norwich have made a shaky start to the season and we've got an impressive record at Carrow Road over the last two decades.

Bradley Allen scored the winner on his debut in 1996, and was on the scoresheet again the following season in a 2-1 victory notable primarily for Mark Kinsella's long range goal of the season contender. It was even better the following season, as Clive Mendonca grabbed a hattrick in a 4-0 victory on our way to the Premier League, and we gave them another hiding 2 years later with Andy Hunt getting to keep the matchball this time around (and he got another hattrick in our next game, away to Stockport).

Ex-Addick Matt Svensson earned the Canaries a rare Premier League victory in 2005, the last time they beat us their own patch. Even when things were at their bleakest, Carrow Road was a happy hunting ground - we beat them 1-0 in the FA Cup under Parky to get our first victory in 18 games. Last but not least, Lord Jackson stole the points for us in September 2014 with a deflected 25 yarder with 5 minutes to go - even with the deluded Belgian madman sticking his oar in and Thomas Driesen picking the team we can still rely on Norwich to be generous hosts.

A nice "nothing to lose" fixture, and always easier being the underdog. 2-1 victory, rewarded with a glamour tie at Huddersfield in Round 3.
  • Options
    I would like to see for a change, a near on full strength side selected for this .. we have momentum, let's carry it on .. it's not as if a cup run (in ANY cup) would be unwelcome .. yet, I appreciate that promotion must be the priority .. dilemmas, dilemmas ..
    Norwich have had a funny start to the season and must be vulnerable .. last time I was at Carrow Road we won 1-0 with a goal from Jackson after a bad keeper error .. a repeat tomorrow would be more than welcome ..

Norwich City 2 v CAFC 3
  • Options
    The kids to win this. We shall capatilse on a norwich team i feel will struggle under their new manager. 3-1 charlton
  • Options
    Clarke worked his socks of Saturday so I would definitely rest him and save him for Saturday.
    As for the game itself although I want to win every match Saturday's game is far more important so I would rest as many as possible.
  • Options

I would like to see for a change, a near on full strength side selected for this .. we have momentum, let's carry it on .. it's not as if a cup run (in ANY cup) would be unwelcome .. yet, I appreciate that promotion must be the priority .. dilemmas, dilemmas ..
    Norwich have had a funny start to the season and must be vulnerable .. last time I was at Carrow Road we won 1-0 with a goal from Jackson after a bad keeper error .. a repeat tomorrow would be more than welcome ..

Norwich City 2 v CAFC 3

I am afraid you will be out of luck. Only Fosu and Clarke to start.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't give a monkeys about the competition. All about promotion and maybe a big side in the 3rd round of the fa Cup.
    I just hope we don't get thrashed....and that Fosu and especially Clarke come through unscathed.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    with mostly a second string 11 with just a few first team regulars I fear a beating..........4-1 to the hosts.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @ForeverAddickted Mikhail Kennedy has done his ACL and is out for the season, so you won't be seeing him on the bench.

I reckon a draw and lose on pens.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Norwich City 2 v CAFC 3

I am afraid you will be out of luck. Only Fosu and Clarke to start.

thanks .. 2nd prize then is a good work out for the wanna/soonwill/bes .. I think our all round squad is good this year .. too many more incomers could be too many cooks
  • Options
    Hope we don't play Jackson at full back.

Should save him for league games.

Would rather RCC plays full back and Lapsie plays in the middle with Dijksteel.

4- 2 to Norwich with goals from Novak and Reeeeeco
  • Options
    Is Crofts still suspended?

---------Phillips
    Dijksteel Konsa Sarr Barnes
    -------Crofts Aribo
    Fosu-----Clarke-----KAG
    ---------Novak

If no Crofts, RCC at right back and Dijksteel in the middle with Aribo.
  • Options
    My memory is f*ked these days, but did we not have a great win against a strong Norwich team in the League Cup at the start of the Powell promotion season, playing an all-reserve & youngsters line-up? I remember we lost to Preston in the next round after including some first-teamers to "strengthen" the team, but I cannot find confirmation that it was Norwich we beat in the earlier round. There is not mention of it here, so perhaps not?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Phillips
    Charles Cook | Konsa | Sarr | Barnes
    Aribo | Dijksteel
    KAG | Clarke | Fosu
    Novak

Substitutes Bench:
    Amos | Umerah | Hackett-Fairchild | Lapsie | Magennis | Jackson | Bauer

Hope we win, we have some decent kids who I would like to see more of like Charles Cook, Phillips, Aribo, Dij and KAG and this plus the JPT are their best chances.

• Options
    3-0 Norwich
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!