Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley - Sound and Vision

It's great that the club have taken on the feedback of last season that the PA was too quiet in the Covered End, but it seems that they have turned it up to 11. Anyone else deafened at the weekend?
Also the big screen - why do we have the teamsheet on a odd burgundy red background this year?

Comments

• Options
    Brian Cole was pretty loud in the East Stand

Curious lack of music before the game and at half time as well!
  • Options
    Brian Cole's pretty loud where ever he is. Ain't ya Brian?

• Options
    I would love to comment on this thread but have promised to avoid comment on Charlton Athletic communications.
  • Options
    I found the screen easier to read with that new background
  • Options
    As I said on the matchday thread... Its pretty annoying when you go to talk to someone before the match and end up having to stop not just because you cant hear the other person yet doesnt help when you cant hear yourself!!
  • Options
    After the BR game I emailed the club regarding the volume of the of the tannoy and
    received a phone call from Lisa Squires who said they have a number of complaints regarding the volume of the tannoy and they were looking into it, looks like they are still looking.
  • Options
    The PA was a big improvement in the east stand this Saturday.
  • Options
    Way too loud
  • Options
    Could be heard reasonably clearly in the west stand for the first time in ages. The text on the screen is a big improvement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was deafening at full-time, but it was nice to be able to hear red red robin clearly for the first time in ages
  • Options

It was awful, the man likes the sound of his own voice.

Evidently he was delighted by the amount of birthday announcements he had to relay. It absolutely amazes me why these tedious proclamations are allowed, jeez does anybody give a sh**? If auntie Mabel wants to celebrate, she should send a card, make a phone call or bake a cake, not load the gun for Brian Cole to bore the pants off 10,000 punters who have no clue as to who the little (or not so little) darling is ... and all at about 140 dBs (the sound of a jumbo jet at take off).

Make the football announcements, play some music, keep the volume moderate ... Less is more!

• Options

It was awful, the man likes the sound of his own voice.

Evidently he was delighted by the amount of birthday announcements he had to relay. It absolutely amazes me why these tedious proclamations are allowed, jeez does anybody give a sh**? If auntie Mabel wants to celebrate, she should send a card, make a phone call or bake a cake, not load the gun for Brian Cole to bore the pants off 10,000 punters who have no clue as to who the little (or not so little) darling is ... and all at about 140 dBs (the sound of a jumbo jet at take off).

Make the football announcements, play some music, keep the volume moderate ... Less is more!

I would imagine the kids who's birthdays it is are announced are thrilled to have their name called out.
    Complain about the volume by all means but the content has always been the same and so it should be .
    I'm glad I don't sit next to you .
  • Options
    Fair shout @Bedsaddick. It was meant tongue in cheek (for the most part).

• Options
    Happy birthday Auntie Mabel.
  • Options

Hi all

Despite the fact I've been on here a lot more than normal recently, I don't always check the site regularly. We are working with older equipment but I'm determined to try to get this balanced and it is something we are tweaking every game.

The problem we have is we receive complaints that it's too quiet so we boost it up, then that's it's too loud so we lower it and then games such as Saturday we receive feedback where some say it was perfect, others that it was too loud and others that it was too quiet!

The pitchside microphone and the music run off different systems so it's hard getting it all balanced out with the controls that we have over the loops however if I could have more detail from people we can hopefully try to build a profile of which areas need boosting, which need quieting and which are okay. This would be massive in trying to find a solution.

As mentioned I'm not always on here so if people could email myself or Fans@cafc.co.uk with info on the stand, block and row they sit in, whether the sound is too loud/quiet and if the music/announcements are any different, plus as much other information as you can give, then hopefully we can build a profile. I don't think we can ever make it 100% but the more info we receive the more we can improve the system so if people could email in, then I'll take a look at responses over the next few weeks to see what we can do.

Three free solutions for you;

A) keep faffing about with the current system(s), turning it up a bit, turning it down a bit
    B ) put the office stapler, pencil sharpeners and all the rubber bands on eBay and see if Roland will let you spend the proceeds on some new valves for your amps
    C) help Roland to hurry up and sell, the current system(s) didn't sound too sad when the acoustics included 27,000 people every other week

Hope that helps :smiley:
  • Options
    With an ancient sound system it's impossible to get it right. It's as much (or more) about sound quality rather than volume. On a system that old trying to fill a space that big you can have good sound quality but it'll be too quiet or you turn it up and it'll be just noise.

There will always be issues with this until there is significant investment to replace much of the sound system.

This isn't knocking the regime as I wouldn't expect anyone to make that investment in league 1.
  • Options
    When you literally can't hold a conversation with the person next to you because of Brian Cole's ramblings it is too LOUD!. It was better saturday than v BRovers although that could have been perception as I was later into my seat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For all the problems with the Valley's PA, it's light years better than the one Kent cricket have at Canterbury, which is shocking