Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What disturbs me about the owner

edited August 2017 in General Charlton
Basically it is because I don't believe he and the people he listens to know anything about football. This would be fine if he didn't interfere but he always does. Having said that - from the persepctive of a protestor, I have to say that we have done some impressive business in the summer. The introduction of some great players for this level is welcome and I think Fosu is a truly brilliant bit of business. In fact, the mere reality that we pulled that signing off shows there are people at the club who know what they are doing. I am giving the credit to KR but happy to be corrected if this is not the case.

Anyway, if somebody who is a bit sceptical is thinking much of the squad looks strong, it must be strong as I am less easy to convince given my view of how the club is run based on how badly it has been run since RD took over. So you would think the owner can see that too -but he clearly can't because if you manage to get yourself in that position, you surely see that a bit of extra investment will bring success and ultimately be a financially sound decision. Ok, there is a risk, but businessmen have to speculate to accumulate and this would be the sort of calculated risk any good businessman takes.

Then I try to imagine if I was the CEO. I would be pleased with the business we have done, but I would also know where we are short from discussions with the manager. If I was a good CEO, it would be my duty to persuade the owner of the opportunity open to him. Now Meire may be doing all of these things - I don't know, but I might threaten to resign if we miss up on this opportunity. I think that is a tool she would have and again, it might carry risks but if your job is to bring success to the club, and the opportunity is there, you have to persuade the owner of it. Surely you do! If she stuck her neck out and fought for success, we might start thinking a bit more of her.

The situation is different, but I am reminded of our second season back in the Championship. The season RD took over. Prior to that season, we were a little bit of target investment away from a promotion winning side and we had momentum. It is both frustrating and heart-breaking that we didn't take this opportunity when it presented itself. That wasn't RD's fault but the same opportunity is here now albeit in a lower division. The difference is the current owner has the money. I am not asking for stupid spending, but common sense spending that is very likely to bring a return. If you get into football and pass up these opportunities you are a complete mug! This isn't a fan asking for reckless spending but saying - for god's sake see the opportunity we have for what it is!!!

I believe that we had the makings of a successful season the season we went down. We had some excellent players but the squad needed strengthening. I think the team that started that season had a lot of quality, but it needed a bit more and a bit of fight. I recall getting a draw at Forest where we were clearly better than them and they fouled their way to a point creating injury issues we were not equipped to cover - It wasn't long after that we were playing three inexperienced left backs in the side against Preston. Being competent is about seeing the opportunities and building on them. It is typical Charlton of recent years that the season we went down, we could have bought in a couple of players early doors and been fighting for promotion!

Our slide in recent years hasn't been bereft of opportunities which haven't been taken, and it wears you down. I think that is a motivation to me for protesting. I either fight it or let it wear me down into apathy. I love this club and am Charlton Till I Die. I can't and won't let this happen.

Meire - Go and have it out with Roland - show some ......... guts FFS!

Roland - Stop being a stupid pratt and realise that you actually might have a decent manager who can bring you success and support him.

I know these demands are futile from what I know of the people they are aimed at, but it is so frustrating!!!!

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Jeez, mate, starting a thread with that title, whoever hosts this forum is going to need more drives in their NAS.

Anyway, just a random thought:

The OP has asked me to delete the picture as he finds it offensive. So, I've complied even though he's used the abbreviation FFS, so I smell double standards here. (You'll all just have to imagine a gimp mask with a very long nose.)

• Some of our supporters disturb me
  • Fair enough - but it isn't compulsary to read it.
  • cafcfan said:

Jeez, mate, starting a thread with that title, whoever hosts this forum is going to need more drives in their NAS.

Anyway, just a random thought:

The OP has asked me to delete the picture as he finds it offensive. So, I've complied even though he's used the abbreviation FFS, so I smell double standards here. (You'll all just have to imagine a gimp mask with a very long nose.)

I'll let that addition speak for itself.
  • clb74 said:

SomeMost of our supporters disturb me

• I agree with every word from MuttleyCAFC, and will continue to protest until this regime decide to go. Enough is enough, every season since RD and KM have been involved it is the same old story and if results like Plymouth continue I would not be surprised to see Robinson added to the list of sacked managers. I know we are only into the third league match but the same signs are already there...........I hope I am wrong. Otherwise it will surely mean another trip to St Truiden sooner rather than later.
  • I think its more simple than that - RD just doesn't have an interest in us or football in general. I doubt if he knows about the players, who has gone, who has signed, their wages etc. WE can all see the problems with the squad, the lack of strikers & the goalkeeper situation but he doesn't care or take any interest so getting him to part with any cash to fill the missing gaps just aint going to happen.

As you say - its really down to KM to talk to him & tell him that the best way to get a return & to get the fans happy & onside (to some degree) is to let KR buy the players that he thinks he needs.
  • Good article, @MuttleyCAFC. RD appears to run his businesses to a budget. I don't knock that. Even though he has deep pockets, it doesn't mean he should put unlimited money into Project Charlton. The appalling football decisions and the opacity of the regime don't give us much hope as you rightly say. Calling us customers rather than fans was stupid, but not communicating with your customers is, in these times particularly, even worse. Like most Charlton fans, I might struggle to run a football club even though I have ran businesses for years. However, it's hard to imagine that I, like most Charlton fans, would do a worse job.
  • Sponsored links:

• There is no way Meire would resign, why on earth would she ? She'd be mad.
  • The major question for me is why would you own a football club if you have no interest in it and just want to dance?
  • bellz2002 said:

The major question for me is why would you own a football club if you have no interest in it and just want to dance?

The prestige of owning a London football club and putting your friends daughter in charge. What a splendid chap.
  • KM thinks it is a good idea to scrimp on the squad budget now and wait to see where we are at the end of the year. If in contention, we can spend in January. That way you save six months' wages. She told me that directly.

What a crazy way of thinking. Surely by getting a good squad together at the beginning of the season and being in contention from the start, would be far more sensible. Leaving the squad short from the start is more likely to result in not being in contention in January.
  • KM thinks it is a good idea to scrimp on the squad budget now and wait to see where we are at the end of the year. If in contention, we can spend in January. That way you save six months' wages. She told me that directly.

What a crazy way of thinking. Surely by getting a good squad together at the beginning of the season and being in contention from the start, would be far more sensible. Leaving the squad short from the start is more likely to result in not being in contention in January.
    Which is exactly what has happened every year. It's the most frustrating aspect of this administration. They've spent money, but in a nonsensical and arse-about-tit way.
  • His dancing makes my feet itch
  • That he is a c@@t