Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Northampton | Sat 19 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Northampton Town
Saturday 19th August 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Kevin Johnson (Weston-Super-Mare)

Introduction

The Football season is now slowly spluttering into life with last Saturday seeing the Addicks completing the second game in what will be a long season from now until May next year. Following our opening day victory against Bristol Rovers many fans left on a high yet have now been brought back down to earth with a bump after our 2-0 defeat at Plymouth last time out… This weekend we host Northampton Town as Karl Robinson and his side look to return to winning ways.

The Opposition
Name: Northampton Town | Manager: Justin Edinburgh
Season Record: (P)-2 | (W)-0 | (D)-0 | (L)-2 | (GS)-0 | (GC)-2

Northampton Town come to the Valley this Saturday having made a less than impressive start… No goals have been scored by the Cobblers whilst failure to keep a clean-sheet has meant that both opening fixtures have ended in defeat. It’s worth noting though that both loses have been by a single goal meaning that our opponents this weekend won’t be a walkover of any kind… What has been the cause for the poor start though?

Well instantly it cannot be claimed that Justin Edinburgh hasn’t received the backing of the board with 14-players joining over the summer yet many of those have been to replace the nine outgoings which included Goalkeeper: Adam Smith who left for Bristol Rovers… Notable incomings have been Dean Bowditch and Daniel Powell from MK Dons on free transfers whilst Chris Long (Striker) has joined on loan from Burnley… Special mention to Matt Taylor still going at the age of 35 having played in the Premier League for West Ham and Bolton; Charlton should be well aware of his potential should any free-kicks be given around the edge of the penalty area.

Potential Northampton Line-Up:

Cornell
Phillips | A.Taylor | Pierre | Buchanan
M.Taylor | Kasim | Bowditch | Crooks
Long | Waters

Charlton Team News
Strikers, we desperately need Strikers appears to be the cry from fans in the stands… With Tony Watt now gone and Lee Novak serving the last of his red card suspension the pressure remains completely on Josh Magennis’ shoulders as our only available senior Striker this Saturday. Once again it looks like the academy will be forced to throw in the kids before they’re potentially ready with Reeco Hackett-Fairchild the latest to under our current regime and should be on the bench this Saturday having made his debut against Plymouth.

In other areas the squad probably still picks itself especially in the wide areas with Ricky Holmes and Tariqe Fosu hopefully continuing their early season form (both deserving goals for the start they’ve had)… The one other suspect area for fans is no doubt in goal with Ben Amos having a shaky start to his Charlton career; Dillon Phillips sitting on the bench has to wonder what he’s got to do to earn a start for Charlton and as the season continues will no doubt question his own career at the club, especially as his own Contract ends next summer.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Reeves | Jackson | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Having made a poor start you’d hope that Northampton are there for the taking yet Plymouth proved last week it’s not that easy… the result last week certainly worried me in terms of our inability to break teams down and see this Saturday being a carbon copy of that game (just hoping for a better result) – Failure to manage this a long season ahead beckons as many other teams will be adapting the very same style.

Comments

• Options
    2 - 1 Addicks Magennis and JFC
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    2-0 Holmes & Magennis
  • Options
    2-1 win and a cameo from RHF convinces some we don't need another striker.
  • Options
    1-1 It'll be Cobblers!
  • Options
    1-1, JFC for us
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    2-1 win leading some to believe that we don't need other players, i did say from august that 9 points would be a v good return 8 at a push so win this and at rotherham and we have achieved that, we shouldnt of lost last week but we did, so thats it. karls comments regarding transfers arent really a suprise as we know how these 2 operate. ( roland and katrien ) personally i think bowyer and robbo are doing the best there boss will allow them to.

i see they are advertising that players children this week to take part in family fun day, which is good as a fun atmosphere for kids as football should be fun for them, before there old enough to realise what a pigs ear you have made of there football club.

from os;

Saturday will see the club celebrate its family and community values and as part of the day some of the players' kids will be amongst the matchday mascots
  • Options
    Hopefully get a win cause Rotherham is gonna be a tough game

2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Storm clouds are gathering 2-0 to the Cobblers.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first game of the season after a badly planned holiday to Cyprus.
    I have a good feeling we will turn these over.

4-1
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Storm clouds are gathering 2-0 to the Cobblers.

I would go with this also and Roland's trigger finger will start to itch with KR in the firing line!
  • Options
    3-1 JFC, Magennis & Fosu.
  • Options
    Goalless draw to make my journey worthwhile.
  • Options
    2 - 0
  • Options
    Terrific preview as ever ..

a goal drought ? .. yet still one up front ? .. at home ? .. against a middling 3rd strata team ? .. even so we should win this (I am stating should, I should be typing 'definitely will')

CAFC 2 v Northampton Town 0
  • Options
    1:0 win (and we still won't score)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Factors will be
    Amos
    Player discipline.
    Set pieces
    Which way we kick
    Fosu and Holmes

To win we will need to establish a two goal cushion in the first hour, otherwise I suspect a draw or defeat. Probably a 1-1 like last season.
  • Options
    Anything less than a win and I think we can already say this season is a bust.
  • Options

Anything less than a win and I think we can already say this season is a bust.

I've been saying it since May
  • Options
    1-1 Clarke & Grimes
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    !-1
  • Options
    2-1 defeat. Until we get a striker in I'm not feeling very good
  • Options
    Been down to the training ground this morning and briefly walked passed the first team train. Page and Reeves were training on their own with coaches whilst the rest of the first team were taking part in a small sided game.

That's not to say Reeves won't be in the squad, as I know he is doing a lot of pre season type work, but I did find it a little strange he wasn't taking part with the whole group considering they would've been working on patterns of play and shape.

Hanlan was also doing running drills on the side by the U23 training, so hopefully he is back soon.

Not sure how I feel about tomorrow, but hoping for a win.

3-1
  • Options

1-1 It'll be Cobblers!

here we go
  • Options
    Northampton have lost both of their opening matches so I'm fully expecting them to break that duck.

Queue first ripple of discontent among the smattering of fans around The Valley.
  • Options
    13 -1 easy. COYA.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!