Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Residential care home recommendations please?

124»

Comments

• Thank-you for the 3 responses. No surprises in anything you've said.
    Rob7Lee, I had reached the same conclusion as yourself, but was hoping I'd missed something.
    I've spent days visiting homes, making phone calls and researching the internet.
    I'm back visiting 4 homes tomorrow and I suspect my sister in law will choose the £85Kpa best room in the 4.
    I'm hoping she may just go for the £62K pa option.
    Excuse me whilst I cry at the wife's inheritance, disappearing quicker than Elfsborg when it's his round :-(

PS Any recommendations for top quality homes in say Blackheath or Bromley would be welcomed, although I think I've already viewed or will have viewed Bromley's best.

• Thank-you for the 3 responses. No surprises in anything you've said.
    Rob7Lee, I had reached the same conclusion as yourself, but was hoping I'd missed something.
    I've spent days visiting homes, making phone calls and researching the internet.
    I'm back visiting 4 homes tomorrow and I suspect my sister in law will choose the £85Kpa best room in the 4.
    I'm hoping she may just go for the £62K pa option.
    Excuse me whilst I cry at the wife's inheritance, disappearing quicker than Elfsborg when it's his round :-(

PS Any recommendations for top quality homes in say Blackheath or Bromley would be welcomed, although I think I've already viewed or will have viewed Bromley's best.

Might be worth messaging @killerjerrylee , CE as he's had experience of homes in this area.
  • Forgot to add that if your Mum owns her own house, as it would appear from the cost per annum you have indicated for care, have you considered renting out the property to offset some of the costs?

We did this for Richard's Mum's maisonette in Dartford via an agency that guaranteed a pre set monthly income whether or not they had a tenant in situ.

When MIL passed away, the family was able to sell the property and hence have something passed down as she would have wished.

I'm sure that you are including her pension/s and care allowance when calculating the deficit in monthly payments.
  • Forgot to add that if your Mum owns her own house, as it would appear from the cost per annum you have indicated for care, have you considered renting out the property to offset some of the costs?

We did this for Richard's Mum's maisonette in Dartford via an agency that guaranteed a pre set monthly income whether or not they had a tenant in situ.

When MIL passed away, the family was able to sell the property and hence have something passed down as she would have wished.

I'm sure that you are including her pension/s and care allowance when calculating the deficit in monthly payments.

I considered this with my dads house when he went into a home, I came to the conclusion that a 500k house and the fact with pensions my dad was already a higher rate tax payer meant that at £1250 gross a month (it was a bit dated) by the time we paid fee's, tax, insurance etc he'd at best net about £6,500 plus any capital gain or 1.3% before capital gain and I could easily better that.

I have to say I got very down looking at all the homes down here in the SE, none particularly stood out for me as being 'great' and the costs of some were eye watering. My sister lived in Nottingham and they were of a different class so in the end for that and other reasons (my sister only works a day or two week so had time to regularly visit) we took him to a home there and we couldn't have been happier with it.

I've lost track a little of the latest rules, are they still bringing in a cap for the maximum you will have to pay for care costs?

Good luck @Covered End it's not a nice thing to have to do but you are doing the right thing for her own welfare and ultimately in the end thats all you can do. I so wish my father had not have had to go in a home but ultimately it was the best thing for him (and in his own little world he quite liked it).
  • Thanks Jean.
  • I've inboxed you Rob7Lee.
  • edited June 2018
    Thank-you very much. People on CL are unbelievable in their willingness to help others.
  • edited June 2018
    We chose Sundridge Court Nursing home if anyone is interested. £1200 per week.
    Thank you to one and all and in particular Rob7Lee, who was advising me well past midnight Sunday evening.
  • Glad my experience however hard it seemed to me at the time has helped, good luck and hope she is happy there.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Oops, I've transferred my comment to the renting v selling thread.
  • We chose Sundridge Court Nursing home if anyone is interested. £1200 per week.
    Thank you to one and all and in particular Rob7Lee, who was advising me well past midnight Sunday evening.

That is almost twice the going rate for London care homes.

• Crusty54 said:

Possibly, but I looked into more than 30, visited the "best" dozen and it's twice as good as many.
    The best we can do for "mum" that was the most suitable and at a fair but not exorbitant price was the aim.
    I was relieved that other relations didn't want the £86K place.
    The issue is now rent or sell her home, as her cash with no rental income or sale may only last 2/3 years.
    I started a separate thread on whether to rent or sell.
  • Crusty54 said:

Loved to know where, the cheapest I found a few years back was around £900 a week.
  • I know I've said this or similar before but how the hell do they justify those obscene fees?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Crusty54 said:

Loved to know where, the cheapest I found a few years back was around £900 a week.
    Me too ! £900 (or slightly less) definitely the lowest I found in Dartford/Swanley area.
  • LenGlover said:

I know I've said this or similar before but how the hell do they justify those obscene fees?

Wouldn't mind so much if more of it was going to the staff who do the hard work instead of the bosses.
  • Crusty54 said:

Possibly, but I looked into more than 30, visited the "best" dozen and it's twice as good as many.
    The best we can do for "mum" that was the most suitable and at a fair but not exorbitant price was the aim.
    The issue is now rent or sell her home, as her cash with no rental income or sale may only last 2/3 years.
    Regardless of cost, the most important factor in choosing a home is smell, smell, smell.

Walk through the front door and smell urine then walk straight out. Sure sign of lack of care.

My brother (who used to teach at Charlton School) & his wife (who did nurse training at Greenwich District Hospital) have owned an excellent nursing home in North Norfolk for more than 30 years so understand how difficult it can be finding the right place.
  • Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

Regardless of cost, the most important factor in choosing a home is smell, smell, smell.

Walk through the front door and smell urine then walk straight out. Sure sign of lack of care.

My brother (who used to teach at Charlton School) & his wife (who did nurse training at Greenwich District Hospital) have owned an excellent nursing home in North Norfolk for more than 30 years so understand how difficult it can be finding the right place.
    Actually none smelt of urine, but I did only visit those rated 9/10 or above.
  • Even the rubbish ones are not cheap. I think some of the expensive ones are not great too - I know of incidents. What is really important is the quality of the staff. That is really difficult to gauge and there has to be an element of luck because of this!