Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Striker - A typical Charlton cock up

So we are wedded to a system with one up front? It is fortunate as we don't have many strikers. But if we bring a decent one in on loan, they will expect to play or at least their club will expect them to play so Magennis will be miffed and we might lose him next and he is out of contract next year. If we buy a striker we have about £300k -We had a striker, but we decided to let him leave without replacing him! We have loaned anothercouple to rivals. It seems that we are the best in the business at seeing and obstacle in the distance and not avoiding it.

Do you know what the best scoreline would be on Saturday? A nil- nil draw because if we score a few goals these idiots may actually believe we are adequately covered for the season. Mind you - nothing probably makes any difference with these planks.

Comments

• Options

I'd prefer us to win 1-0 and miss 10 open goals, when a decent striker would have bagged a few.

As long as the 1 was scored by a CB from a set piece.
  • Options

I'd prefer us to win 1-0 and miss 10 open goals, when a decent striker would have bagged a few.

As long as the 1 was scored by a CB from a set piece.
    Would prefer an OG :smile:
  • Options
    Would prefer a 7-6 with Mag being culpable for all their goals due to tiredness on account of him being the only one up front.

After being 5-1 down at half time.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Would prefer a 7-6 with Mag being culpable for all their goals due to tiredness on account of him being the only one up front.

Don't be silly. That would never happen.
  • Options

Macronate said:

Didn't think Mag was that old.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

And down to ten men.
  • Options

I always admired Fraeye's tactic of spreading out and waiting for them to score an own goal.

I sometimes wonder if his plan was to give all the opposition players hernias from laughing so much at his tactics. Maybe he was just playing chess while we were all playing checkers
  • Options
    Another negative, whingeing thread. Dodgy keeper brought in late, doggedly sticking to a formation requiring skills that are rare in this division, letting forwards go leaving us lacking in depth in this key area, shortly before the window closes- what could go wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I always admired Fraeye's tactic of spreading out and waiting for them to score an own goal.

I sometimes wonder if his plan was to give all the opposition players hernias from laughing so much at his tactics. Maybe he was just playing chess while we were all playing checkers
    You know Belgian culture well from that last sentence!
  • Options

Macronate said:

Maybe it would, but think how much more unlikely it would be if the winning team had only ten men.
  • Options
    Don't know why anyone is surprised, same old story with these in charge and the reason I wasn't getting excited after the first game of the season...
  • Options
    How can Millwall buy a striker, Lee Gregory for peanuts from Halifax when he is 24 years old, stick with him after a quiet first season, and who scored 20 plus goals in both of the last two seasons in league and cup.

Morrison returned in 2015 and scores 1 every 3 games.

CAFC is the Bermuda triangle for strikers. (since SWP in League 1)
    Novak who has under performed so far, should be capable of scoring
    in League 1.
    Ajose(out on loan) with this midfield should be capable of scoring 20 goals.
    Big Josh could get 15 to 18 if he stays fit.

Why Can't CAFC sign a striker from the 4th or 5th tier who is hungry to play at a higher level without breaking the Belgian Bank ?

• Options
    the best match outcome for gobbinson's chances of recruiting any bodies at all next week will be a 95th minute breakaway (probably offside) one goal victory for the cobblers who have been reduced to 9 men for most of the match and effortlessly resisted an hour and a half of Charlton total domination 95% possession chance after chance after chance maybe two shots on target barely troubling their new goalie
    the final whistle heralding virtual silence from the 6000 baffled bewildered and brokenhearted Addicks
    TBH with an at best half fit Magennis and FSG's one-eyed, one striker in the squad, one dimensional approach a one goal defeat is about the best we'd dare hope for anyway.

"But we beat BrizzleRovers" - yeah by one goal, they're shipping goals for fun everywhere else
    "But we beat Exeter" - not with this squad we didn't

Happy Matchday one and all :)
  • Options

So we are wedded to a system with one up front? It is fortunate as we don't have many strikers. But if we bring a decent one in on loan, they will expect to play or at least their club will expect them to play so Magennis will be miffed and we might lose him next and he is out of contract next year. If we buy a striker we have about £300k -We had a striker, but we decided to let him leave without replacing him! We have loaned anothercouple to rivals. It seems that we are the best in the business at seeing and obstacle in the distance and not avoiding it.

Do you know what the best scoreline would be on Saturday? A nil- nil draw because if we score a few goals these idiots may actually believe we are adequately covered for the season. Mind you - nothing probably makes any difference with these planks.

You make a very good case for not signing another striker - I'm guessing that wasn't your intention!

I'm also sure, although you don't say so, that you weren't expecting Watt or Ajose to be the answer to our prayers?
  • Options

Don't know why anyone is surprised, same old story with these in charge and the reason I wasn't getting excited after the first game of the season...

Oh come on you must have been slightly excited after beating the 2nd best team in Bristol, ir's a new era, they've learned from their mistakes. Even the News shopper is telling us how the bitch & her owner are proving the fans wrong. tsk some people !
  • Options
    And now novak wants to leave... 1 striker
  • Options
    Can't we just play Eddie Youds up top?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Can't we just play Eddie Youds up top?

We're going to have to at this rate !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

You make a very good case for not signing another striker - I'm guessing that wasn't your intention!

I'm also sure, although you don't say so, that you weren't expecting Watt or Ajose to be the answer to our prayers?
    I make a case for what a shambles our club is mate! It is down to the club to aquire the players and when it is short in an area - don't let them go until better players are brought in. If Watt and Ajose were errors, where are the solutions - I'd rather have the errors than nobody! But I would rather the club was run properly.