Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lack of forwards

In light of @AFKABartram wanting to keep this sort of discussion off the transfer rumour thread I though it might be worth starting a new one.

From the Newsshopper:

When asked how close he was to bringing one in, he said: “No. We’re not at the moment. We’re trying to bring one in. It’s obvious where we need players.

“I can’t guarantee anything, no. I’m not going to lie to anybody. We’ve brought in a lot of strikers, Tony Watt’s been one, we spent a lot of money bringing Nicky Ajose in last summer and Lee Novak came in. But I can’t guarantee [that a striker will be signed] just yet. It’s something I’m working on.”

He added: “It’s not my fault, it’s previous things that have been done and maybe people have been left to do what they need to do and put us in this position. We’ve not really spent money in the summer, we’ve done things right.

“I’m not one for wasting money, I like to do things in the correct way and give young players a chance. You look at our squad and it’s basically made up of academy players which is a good thing for the future of this football club. I can’t promise anything but we’re working on it.

“You can bring a striker in for a minimal fee but does he really have an effect and drive the football club forward? I’m not sure. We have to have someone who is going to have an effect.”

Yes, there's two weeks until the end of the transfer window but Robinson's quotes do not sound promising and it appears to be the usual Duchatelet and Meire policy of forcing the manager to use youngsters that may not be ready for this level of football so they can make a quick buck, with Robinson having to buy into it to keep his job.

According to cafc.co.uk's official squad list our only forwards are:

Billy Clarke - can play upfront but both Robinson and Meire have explicitly stated he was our number one target for the 'number ten' position: “Getting in a player that can play the number 10 role behind the striker was one of our priorities this summer, so we’re very pleased to bring in our primary target in that position." Katrien Meire, June 2017. If he is to move upfront who fills that role? Ben Reeves could but tends to sit a bit deeper than that.

Josh Magennis - Probably our most effective forward but has struggled to stay fit so far. He also has just a year left on his contract and doesn't seem to be close to agreeing a new one. Could he be sold before the end of the window / season if that situation doesn't change?

Lee Novak - I like Novak and think he gets some unfair criticism but how many goals is he realistically going to get us this season? Also a question of fitness with him.

Brandon Hanlan - A grand total of 17 career games, just 9 are with Charlton and he's currently injured.

That's it, although I'd include KAG, Umerah and maybe the lovechild of @Henry Irving Reeco Hackett-Fairchild- neither of whom you'd expect to be leading any other promotion contender in this division and both could probably do with a loan spell somewhere.

Comments

• Umerah too
  • I think we're a decent striker away from being a playoff contender. Sadly I don't think we'll get one.
  • edited August 2017
    Sorry I think I'm a bit confused, is this the type of stuff we don't want on the transfer thread? Is it because this is more focused on evaluating our current squad versus transfer rumors (which are thin on the ground at the moment) and the impact of the potential players coming in? Or do we just want to avoid anything not rumor related on the rumors thread?
  • SDAddick said:

Sorry I think I'm a bit confused, is this the type of stuff we don't want on the transfer thread? Is it because this is more focused on evaluating our current squad versus transfer rumors (which are thin on the ground at the moment) and the impact of the potential players coming in? Or do we just want to avoid anything not rumor related on the rumors thread?

well this is a discussion about needing a new striker, which is not a rumour, it is a fact.
  • And the reason I have not renewed, so far the Rat and Liar have returned to type, not enough quality to get us out this division and certainly not enough depth....and the season has started.
    Im not judging those that have renewed, its their business, but I cant help but feel that surely even this report pours cold water on your hopes.
    It will be another season like the rest, unless of course KR is playing a good poker hand (like Powell used to) and we do get a few more in, I really do hope Im wrong but at the moment I dont think I am.
  • "Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

• Pretty worrying comments - am I right in thinking that KR's comments post Plymouth were more positive regarding getting a striker in?
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

well this is a discussion about needing a new striker, which is not a rumour, it is a fact.
    Okay, don't think anyone is arguing that....

We're basically having the same conversation in two threads now.
  • Well this is a major surprise.

One decent striker away from probably being good enough to get promoted and these tight fuckers want to make do with academy kids. Never saw that coming.
  • edited August 2017
    For comparison, the last time we got promoted from this league, Chris Powell had the following forwards:

League One records:

Paul Hayes 19 games and 3 goals
    BWP 42 & 22
    Yann 36 & 12
    Haynes 38 & 2
    Euell 11 & 0
    Clarke 7 & 0

Also available were Tosan Popo and Michael Smith.
  • so who would people realistically sign and how much is that going to cost?

• "Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

What type of player is he? Is he a loan striker, poacher or spin and run at pace?
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Okay, don't think anyone is arguing that....

We're basically having the same conversation in two threads now.
    I think the point from the OP is to have the conversation about a lack of forward on here rather than the rumours thread. Leave that thread to any rumours, including about a signing, like the news about Matty Taylor.
  • For comparison, the last time we got promoted from this league, Chris Powell had the following forwards:

League One records:

BWP 42 & 34
    Yann 36 & 12
    Haynes 38 & 2
    Euell 11 & 0
    Clarke 7 & 0

Some of those number are wrong, BWP had 22 goals that season, while Haynes only joined in January

Indeed we started the season with BWP and Hayes, with Smith and Euell in reserve (plus youngsters) but to fill 2 places not 1, so we actually looked a bit weak until Yann joined in September
  • For comparison, the last time we got promoted from this league, Chris Powell had the following forwards:

League One records:

BWP 42 & 34
    Yann 36 & 12
    Haynes 38 & 2
    Euell 11 & 0
    Clarke 7 & 0

Some of those number are wrong, BWP had 22 goals that season, while Haynes only joined in January

Indeed we started the season with BWP and Hayes, with Smith and Euell in reserve (plus youngsters) but to fill 2 places not 1, so we actually looked a bit weak until Yann joined in September
    I would agree with that. Think Hayes and BWP were and would have done ok, but Yann was a key signing. The back ups weren't that great, although we did have Euell and Benson. This year we only have youngsters behind the 2 senior strikers.

On top of that, we could loan players in September, October, etc, something we will not be able to do this season.

What type of player is he? Is he a loan striker, poacher or spin and run at pace?
    If he's any good he'll be on loan soon enough.

League One records:

BWP 42 & 22
    Yann 36 & 12
    Haynes 38 & 2
    Euell 11 & 0
    Clarke 7 & 0

And I think the other teams that went up had Madine (Weds) and Rhodes (Hudds) who were as prolific as BWP.

I see very little chance of getting out of this league without a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.
    and Novak's goals to games is about 0.2.
    We wont score enough goals to go up unless we bring someone in. We had a stronger strike force this time last year
    Must be someone out of favour in the championship that we can get on loan? Or a free agent floating about? if only to put pressure on them two
  • Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.
    We wont score enough goals to go up unless we bring someone in. We had a stronger strike force this time last year
    Must be someone out of favour in the championship that we can get on loan? Or a free agent floating about? if only to put pressure on them two

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave.
  • edited August 2017

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

No he is definitely our player! :wink:

No he is definitely our player! :wink:
  • "It's not my fault"

Sorry, Robinson - no. You're the manager now. Everything is your fault. That's the job, no excuses, just fix this mess or fnck off.

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave on a free transfer and that his salary expectations are on a par with what the average 8 year old gets as his weekly pocket money..
    Corrected.
  • MrLargo said:

Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave on a free transfer and that his salary expectations are on a par with what the average 8 year old gets as his weekly pocket money..
    Corrected.
    actually think that's a tad harsh. They have given new contracts to Pearce and Holmes and signed Marshall and Reeves. It has been a decent window. It's just the fact that they are going to leave us short yet again. It's just 1 player. All they need to do is take one risk on a decent striker and we could well be in this predicament again next year looking for a Champ striker :)
  • His words, of which are more often than not just drivel to appease those who are interested, scream to me - loanee.

Nothing has changed barring one thing, Katrien is keeping her beak out of the limelight.

The regime have done well with Robbo, the mans in a win win and knows how to pull wool over eyes. He'll go for a loan, but we'll pick up injuries this season and he'll have his excuse, an excuse of which is his own doing (by virtue of acceptance and not countering the owners for a real budget to afford players - of which he should have with our sales).
  • without getting a decent striker in to try and get out of this league you have to wonder why bother tying Holmes and Pearce down to new, improved contracts?
  • without getting a decent striker in to try and get out of this league you have to wonder why bother tying Holmes and Pearce down to new, improved contracts?

To get more, when they go.